Gibson Brands Forums

Vinyl - by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger

Rabs

Cool.. let us know what its like [thumbup]

Well....

First off, that was one loooong series premiere! 2 hours... and to be honest, when it was over, we both agreed, "Hmmm. Not sure! Let's give it one more episode and decide if we're going to commit."

It was kind'a over-the-top in some ways. More profanity (gratuitous) than we care for. We're not prudes or anything (LOL!). But sometimes, you hear "@#&!" one too many times, and begin to wonder, "Why?".

In short, it's heavy on debauchery and excess (but I guess that was the music biz during the heyday of "arena" bands and the dawn of Punk. I can see this as having the potential of being sort of the Rock 'n' Roll equivalent of what "Mad Men" was to advertising. Not sure if the characters in this show will develop as well as the ones did in that show, however. Hard to see it at the moment.

Stay tuned.

Well....

First off, that was one loooong series premiere! 2 hours... and to be honest, when it was over, we both agreed, "Hmmm. Not sure! Let's give it one more episode and decide if we're going to commit."

It was kind'a over-the-top in some ways. More profanity (gratuitous) than we care for. We're not prudes or anything (LOL!). But sometimes, you hear "@#&!" one too many times, and begin to wonder, "Why?".

In short, it's heavy on debauchery and excess (but I guess that was the music biz during the heyday of "arena" bands and the dawn of Punk. I can see this as having the potential of being sort of the Rock 'n' Roll equivalent of what "Mad Men" was to advertising. Not sure if the characters in this show will develop as well as the ones did in that show, however. Hard to see it at the moment.

Stay tuned.

Heavy on shock, light on value?

Well....

Stay tuned.

Cheers man... Sounds like it could be ok.. Some shows can take a short while to get off the ground and develop the characters a bit..

I will check it out (I think it showed over here last night).

Heavy on shock, light on value?

You might have hit it on the head. Big on visuals and profanity, but hard to see the value in it all.

Like I said, we're giving it one more episode and then we'll either commit or scrap it. I am thinking it will be the latter.

My favorite guitar player, Lee Ranaldo, put together the music so I am 100% on board with seeing this.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1021-how-vinyl-and-lee-ranaldo-turned-a-lost-70s-act-into-tvs-next-great-fictional-band/

It's HBO so I expect a lot of naughty words, cocaine use, and nudity.

Didn't know Lee Renaldo was involved. From what I saw, my impressions were similar to CB. Seems a little cliche, but I don't even have HBO so it doesn't make any difference to me anyway [flapper]

...but I don't even have HBO so it doesn't make any difference to me anyway [flapper]

Doesn't seem to matter too much these days.... everything ends up available on Netflix or Amazon or at the Redbox soon enough. Before long we will all be able to watch whatever we want whenever we want.

Doesn't seem to matter too much these days.... everything ends up available on Netflix or Amazon or at the Redbox soon enough. Before long we will all be able to watch whatever we want whenever we want.

To be honest I mostly just watch cartoons, science shows, or Ancient Aliens. I'm not too big on drama series stuff. I would rate Squidbillies in the top 5 best shows on TV if that gives you an idea of how irrelevant my opinion is :P

To be honest I mostly just watch cartoons, science shows, or Ancient Aliens. I'm not too big on drama series stuff. I would rate Squidbillies in the top 5 best shows on TV if that gives you an idea of how irrelevant my opinion is :P

Well, I can live with Squidbillies in the top 5! [biggrin]

Archived