Gibson Brands Forums

Remember when life was simple?

daveinspain

Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, and so many other's have done a great "me and my guitar, only"

routine. Both in performance, and song writing. Their talents being only enhanced, with their collaborations,

with other like talented folk. Be it bands, or duets, trio's, etc.

There are new talents, too, that do that! And, there always will be. They may not be "mainstream" pop,

but who knows? I think we need to encourage all the great talent we discover, however we can, old or new.

The not so greats, will always fall by the wayside, sooner or later. Real Talent, endures.

IMHO, as always.

CB

Ol' Neil was sure a "Young'n" then. I remember seeing so many of way back then (when the tickets were $5-$7.00 and good, simple music much of it.

Aster

Yeah, those were the days! It costs more, now, to get into a bar band gig, than I paid

to see The Beatles Live! And, every other band, of that time, even until the mid-70's.

Ticket prices are prohibitive, at least for me, these days. I'll stay home, wait for

the DVD, and not have to drive a minimum of 100 miles, fight traffic, parking problems,

etc. [tongue]

CB

Neil is probably my favourite of all time. So many excellent albums such as the well known Harvest and After the Goldrush, to the lesser known On the Beach, Chrome Dreams II, Zuma, American Stars & Bars and Silver & Gold and Rust Never Sleeps and many many more...

One man, one guitar and a harmonica…

Damn straight!!!

I saw that one man, one guitar a harmonica, and a piano.

Back in early 80s.

In a filled BC Place stadium.

Sold out crowd going nuts.

Encore he asked the crowd "do you wanna go back? do you wanna go waaayy back?"

Damn I thought Buffalo Springfield was coming out. lol

He finished the show with the entire Shocking Pinks album.

Amazing show. Like 3 hours

I have seen him a few times but I'll never forget that night.

Encore he asked the crowd "do you wanna go back? do you wanna go waaayy back?"

Damn I thought Buffalo Springfield was coming out. lol

He finished the show with the entire Shocking Pinks album.

Cool. I like the Shocking Pinks record, though I'm probably one of the few that do!

That's a bit like the stories from the Tonight's the Night shows where he barely played any of his known songs and the encore was Tonight's the Night Part II [biggrin]

Cool. I like the Shocking Pinks record, though I'm probably one of the few that do!

That's a bit like the stories from the Tonight's the Night shows where he barely played any of his known songs and the encore was Tonight's the Night Part II [biggrin]

Ya man! Neil is special.

A living legend for me for sure.

I saw Neil on the This Note's For You Tour.

Ain't singing for Miller.

Ain't singing for Bud [thumbup]

His 80's period was very interesting and while many dismiss it there are some gems to be found. I'm at work at the moment so can't access youtube, but there's a superb acoustic version on there of 'Sample and Hold' from the Unplugged concert that was never released. Originally it was from 1982's Trans, but here it was played without any synths, vocoder's and really shows what a great tune it was.

If you can't sit down with an instrument (your choice) and deliver a song by yourself, then you're not much of a musician, IMHO. A Capella exception allowed for great singers I guess.

As for Neil Young... just goes to show a great song is sometimes more important than a great voice. [thumbup]

I went to play guitar with my uncle yesterday and wee ended up using all his guitars,,he played a lot of Bob Dylan,slide acoustic electric,,it was great,I was playing a lot of new kinda stuff,rock/blues,,then he took me right back to when I was a kid listening to all the old stuff,,it's the best feeling AV had in years,,simple songs simple chords and a lot of feeling,,I realise what's missing from my playing,,all these old guys yous posted are very clever,,old school simple stuff is the way forward for me,,I wish I was that clever😜🤘🤘🤘🎸

Well, you never know how "clever" you are, until you really try! Go for it!

Besides, IMHO, you always learn more from "mistakes," than successes. I've

stumbled onto some interesting licks, and chords, even prose, by the mistakes

I've made. I'll never be famous, or even as good a guitar player/writer as

I'd like to be, most likely, but I just enjoy the whole process. The triumphs,

and the frustrations, that so often leads to trying even harder, and finally

having something good/great happen!

CB

Archived