Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock repairs.

LarryUK

I have a crazy old, maybe a hundred years old or more unlabled parlor guitar I bought in a junk store many years ago. Looking in the sound hole I could see someone along the way repaired the neck by using a 4 inch screw to reattach it. The darn thing is straight as an arrow and has never needed a reset.

i have a buddy who looks for gibby's with broken headstocks, buys them super cheap, and repairs them. many of them, you really have to look close to see the break. all of them play well, and sound great. he's got at least 10 or 12 les pauls, all were broken and repaired. he rarely ever pays more than $300 to buy them. usually closer to $150-$200

My Melody Maker headstock repair was done by somebody using fibreglass resin and matting - maybe he was a surfer, reminds me of my old ding repairs. It's a little off looking (not that you see it without looking behind headstock anyway) but I suspect it is a very strong joint now! [laugh]

It was probably used and abused heavily back in the punk and alt rock days, certainly not a show guitar, but still, very cheap and good fun.

Archived