Gibson Brands Forums

Can't Stop Playing Slide Guitar Syndrome

JayinLA

I am on a slide guitar kick. It's addicting. I don't care who you are hearing, Junior Kimbrough, Elmore James, Duane Allman, or some of the lesser known badass Mississippi hill country players who never got recorded except on maybe one or two live juke joint jams. The slide and the guitar are like ice cream and pie.

Whether its electric or acoustic, I just want to sit down on the chair, play slide guitar and sing the blues. I think I might be loosing it.

In case you didn't know...I'm a white boy..

What's your preference for slide, glass? metal? prefab?, wine bottle neck? Every kind produces a different response; then you switch among electric, acoustics, resonator guitars. My man, you could be in for a journey indeed. Outstanding!

Slide is amazing,I like ry cooder,,he's great,,feelin bad blues done it for me in the old movie staring Ralph moccino n Steve vai,,I'm sure ry playes the parts for Ralph when you see a close up of his guitar playing,,a great move away back to the journey of the blues roots,,then a bit of 70s/80s Rock,,I watch that once or twice every year,,,never gets old,lol🎸🎸🤘🤘🤘🤘

Slide is amazing,I like ry cooder,,he's great,,feelin bad blues done it for me in the old movie staring Ralph moccino n Steve vai,,I'm sure ry playes the parts for Ralph when you see a close up of his guitar playing,,a great move away back to the journey of the blues roots,,then a bit of 70s/80s Rock,,I watch that once or twice every year,,,never gets old,lol🎸🎸🤘🤘🤘🤘

I love Ry's playing. His slide on 'Get Rhythm' or the solo in 'Fernando Says' is beautiful.

I used to make slides from actual bottlenecks.

I would save any wine bottle that had the right shaped neck. When I had about 6 I would smash them all on the back door step. I'd always get at least one that was suitable. Then I's spend a few minutes blunting the edges (on the back step again). I've still got a couple somewhere...

I have several slide players I am fond of for different reasons.

I'm a big fan of Bill Harkleroad, aka Zoot Horn Rollo who played with Captain Beefheart for several years.

Denny Walley who also played with Beefheart for a while as well as Zappa turned in one of the greatest slide performances I ever saw live with Beefheart in 1977.

Gotta love Ron Wood's work in the Faces.

George Harrison turns in some of the sweetest and prettiest sounding slide work, especially on the Cloud Nine LP.

As many others have noted, Ry Cooder is simply a monster.

There was a guy in a so called Punk Country band out of LA called Blood On The Saddle out of LA in the mid 1980s named Greg. I can't remember his last name off hand. Before going on stage he would warm up backstage playing acoustic slide, and he would blow my mind. The guy was amazing and at least in those days, never played it on stage.

As for me, I use glass as well as a half finger brass slide.

I use open D, G, E as well as standard tunings, and have been known to tune a 12 string to 12 different tones for maximum weirdness.

So, Jay...what's your preferred tuning, for slide. Open, or standard?

I want to play more "slide," but I'm not prolific at it, yet, at all! [tongue]

CB

At first I really liked open tuning...E or G are the easiest to get to I suppose. With open tunings it's really easy to get the basic slide fundamentals and 12 bar blues type things. I still do that alot when I am playing by myself. But lately I have been working on playing in the regular pentetonic scale with finer precision in my standard tuning (E-Flat). Because I'm so accustomed to the fretboard in that configuration, and have the slide technique kinda figured, now I can play slide along to the radio or whatever just fine.

Its te technique that took me a few weeks to really feel good about. I use open handed picking, muting with both hands and it's really quite natural if you're used to muting all but one string for certain things. That's how I play, just mute all but the string(s) I wish to ring. The result is a super smooth, clean sound that you can do runs for days in a very small area of the guitar, and none sound the same.

\:D/ Sorry for taking so long to get back....late night.

I used to make slides from actual bottlenecks.

I would save any wine bottle that had the right shaped neck. When I had about 6 I would smash them all on the back door step. I'd always get at least one that was suitable. Then I's spend a few minutes blunting the edges (on the back step again). I've still got a couple somewhere...

Exactly!

To hear Luther Dickenson (Black Crowes, Phil Lesh and Friends, North Mississippi Allstars) do some of the best slide work I've ever heard simply hit play, or if you are impatient, go to 2:30 and let the jam roll from there

Luther's great. Seen him do his thing live - and it's impressive.

Lots of excellent sliders mentioned so far... Derek Trucks is a freak of nature though.

Fond of George Harrison's slide as well - a very unique voice.

Luther's great. Seen him do his thing live - and it's impressive.

Lots of excellent sliders mentioned so far... Derek Trucks is a freak of nature though.

Fond of George Harrison's slide as well - a very unique voice.

[thumbup]

I got a chance to see the Derek Trucks band at the Warfield in S.F. I was so pissed. The sound guy sucked. Derek'x guitar was sooo low in the mix, for the first 4 numbers, you couldn't hardly hear it, but once he got things dialed in, Derek shined as always.

Big shout out to Robert Randolph and the family Band. Some great stuff on the Pedal Steel doing blues numbers. Can play anything from Hendrix to Gospal, and it all sounds killer.

Archived