Gibson Brands Forums

hummingbird vs martin d 35

Desolationrow

Where to begin. What do you have right now? Why do/dont you like it? Have you had a chance to try a Bird or a 35? Have you listened to listened song samples online (soundcloud or tube)?

Point being, lots of guitars that are good for vocal accompaniment. Imo these are nice enough but don't stand out particularly in this regard. Both have a decent low end, but if you like some brightness up on top, you might find either one of them them a trifle muddy. They have a different feel. Martin's have a tighter feel due to the longer scale; the Bird is looser.

fwiw J45s and their brethren (J45, J50, So Jumbo etc) are awesome guitars (

). Some folks like
for this kind of work. Shop around. Try out as many as you can. And don't take the word of a cranky old geezer like me. Peace, Rambler.

thanks a lot for your response!!! i have a gibson j45 and j200 standard both. i only strum woth my fingers,no arpegios. thanks again

Where to begin. What do you have right now? Why do/dont you like it? Have you had a chance to try a Bird or a 35? Have you listened to listened song samples online (soundcloud or tube)?

Point being, lots of guitars that are good for vocal accompaniment. Imo these are nice enough but don't stand out particularly in this regard. Both have a decent low end, but if you like some brightness up on top, you might find either one of them them a trifle muddy. They have a different feel. Martin's have a tighter feel due to the longer scale; the Bird is looser.

). Some folks like
for this kind of work. Shop around. Try out as many as you can. And don't take the word of a cranky old geezer like me. Peace, Rambler.

the bird is a montana used2015 and the martin is a 1980model. also,in the shop they have a 2003 hd28. thanks

). Some folks like

IF you can A/B them - you might consider which has the most range or versatility. In other words - which is easier for you to get the top moving on AND also, for a different song - produce clear articulate sounds at half the decibels. Do you want one that is good for BOTH performing and writing? Or more one than the other. And, if you're going to play 'plugged' in - is that how you will be performing and writing?

IMHO, the choice is obvious. But, then - I'm biased.

I'm fortunate enough to have both. Two different beasts in my opinion. I absolutely love both of them, but if I had to pick one, I would go with the Hummingbird. Not to say the d-35 is bad, because it's not, it's honestly one of the best guitars I have ever played. There is just something about the Hummingbird though, the look, feel and of course the sound. If you are able to play them both, do that and see what you feel. Either one in my opinion is a can't miss.

Also consider how they interact with your vocal range. Martin usually equals more oomph in the bass and that could interfere with your voice coming across clearly if you both share the same frequency. My voice gets lost when playing my Martin but sits well with my southern jumbo but that's just my voice.

"i have a gibson j45 and j200 standard both"

I don't see a lot of advantage in switching from a J45 to a Bird. Both are short scale hog jumbos, so the differences are not going to be minor, and, imo, favor the J45: it's better balanced and clearer, and easier to warp your arm around than the boxy Bird. Go there only if you just have to sound like Keef Richards. The J200, tho, might not be a good a fit. It really needs picks to get that big 17" top moving. If you are thinking about a Martin, I would seriously consider an HD28, D28, or D16R over the D35: any one of those is going to offer better balance and clarity Fwiw, Ive had a D35 and a Bird pass through my hands. I departed for them for the reasons stated. These days Im am picking a J35fvg (j45 on steroids) and am pretty happy with it.

" in the shop they have a 2003 hd28" Now, you're talking'!

Apart from the scale-length and the 2 types of b'n's tonewood, one major difference is the bracing.

Same overall X-pattern, yes, but the though the 35 was meant to be - and is - lighter than the D-28, the Bird is scalloped and supposed to be decidedly lightweight from birth.

This - perhaps more than length and wood - just put them on each side of a fence.

Now I assume we don't talk HD-35 and 1968 to 85 HB's, of course.

Archived