Gibson Brands Forums

Me Playing Tom Sawyer (with backing track)

rocketman

I love this website: http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/. It's like playing with the band because you don't have the guitar in there to help you.

I downloaded the Tom Sawyer backing track, and then put my own guitars in there. The backing track obviously is not good because taking out the guitar dulls it.

Here it is with me on the guitars. I came in a little to early on part of the solo, but overall I don't think it's that bad.

Here is my guitar isolated. This is how I've been playing it since I was about 14 years old. I found an isolated guitar (see below). What I do is slightly different in some parts, but hey I learned this from the album. I didn't have the luxury of having the internet when I was 14. [rolleyes]

Here is the isolated guitar from the album. I'm too engrained with how I play it to do exactly like Alex does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAsTpGUOQo

I think you nailed it pretty good there Rocketman! [thumbup]

When it comes to rock and improv type music, I think it's fruitless to try and recreated guitar parts exactly as they were recorded. It's like trying to mimic someone's walk or dance moves. Heck, most times even the original musicians don't play a song live exactly as they did on the album version.

Wow! It sounded exactly like the record to me. [thumbup] I know you've got that scientist brain to spot all the minor differences - and as you said, you've been loving that song a long time - but I think you crushed it, man! I would never have the patience for that. Good on ya.

You need to get your brother and the others out there for some Rush tribute gigs. I bet you have quite a few other Rush songs down cold. [biggrin]

What gear did you use and how did you record it?

Thanks all! I didn't expect this kind of great response. It's appreciated.

I use my chambered Les Paul into a Line 6 Vetta II amp. I recorded it using CUBASE 8, dropping the mp3 backing track file right in there. The signal is pretty raw, panned about 80% on each side. Alex probably had a lot more tracks on his guitars because it sounds like a wall of guitars! I added a chorus and a little delay in the solo afterwards to try to get closer to the sound of Alex's guitar.

I usually practice using my MIM Strat. Getting the pinch harmonics is a LOT easier with a Les Paul than a Strat. There is one spot in the solo where (I think) Alex uses a pinch harmonic to get a high E which he bends down, right at 2:21 mark of the video. I had to get the "sweet spot" on the pinch to get that right. So I practiced that with the Les Paul a few times before recording it.

Archived