Gibson Brands Forums

Noob Needs Schooled

jswatson0917

I have been strumming on guitars since the 80's I started out with a Peavey Nitro sold it in '97 and picked up a Mexistrat. About 3 years ago I picked up a Guitar game (one that uses real guitars) and started playing a little more. Last year I picked up a guitar that has LED's in the fretboard to assist in my learning. Now that I can somewhat make some music instead of noise I was thinking about getting a Les Paul because I feel it is one of those must have Guitars like my strat. My question is which model should I look at I don't really want an Epiphone and I do have a little money to spend. I do like the finish (Sea Foam Green) on the 2014 Classic. The type of music I like to play is classic rock 60s & 70s, Grunge 90s. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome.

I heartily second hph's sentiments; if you fancy the '14 Classic then, by all means, go for it; they are excellent guitars and will suit your tastes perfectly well.

And yes, the Sea Foam Green is rather fetching!

Keep us posted!

Pip.

IMHO, pay a visit to a music store that has a decent variety of inventory and spend a few hours playing as many as you can. It may take some time, but you'll figure out what sounds best to your ears and feels best in your hands. Good luck, and have fun! :)

IMHO, pay a visit to a music store that has a decent variety of inventory and spend a few hours playing as many as you can. It may take some time, but you'll figure out what sounds best to your ears and feels best in your hands. Good luck, and have fun! :)

I have tried this but to me most guitars feel the same and I can't pickup any major differences in tone between guitars. For example to two guitars I own the feel the same other than weight my strat is a couple pounds lighter and is much thinner in both the neck and body. The strat has a glossy neck and the other one has a satin finish. The other problem I have is I can play a few chords and scales but I don't really have any songs memorized to play to compare sound

Play several guitars through the same amp on the same setting. You'll start being able to tell differences. Plus pay attention to how the different necks and bodies feel. Color doesn't have sound or feel but an uncomfortable or ill sounding guitar will not make you happy no matter how it looks

Play several guitars through the same amp on the same setting. You'll start being able to tell differences. Plus pay attention to how the different necks and bodies feel. Color doesn't have sound or feel but an uncomfortable or ill sounding guitar will not make you happy no matter how it looks

Is there any particular year that is better than others? I have heard 2015 was probably Gibson's worst year on guitar build and quality.

Is there any particular year that is better than others? I have heard 2015 was probably Gibson's worst year on guitar build and quality.

The big knocks on the 2015 were the robot tuners and brass nut. The tuners for not being precise which would be a big issue and the nut for being too soft which leads to binding, singing and wearing out fast. Also not good. I understand that Gibson is giving replacements for the nut and you can always take the tuner off but I got a 2016 just to not deal with all that. So if you find a 14 you like get it if it sounds and feels right for you. I love my 16

For a long time now there have been no particularly good or bad years; just detail differences and hardware changes such as push-pull pots; mini-toggle in place of a tone pot etc...

'15 was a strange one as has been mentioned. The G-Force tuning system suits some and the nut issue is sort-of being addressed but still...

2014 was Gibson's 120th anniversary and the vast majority of LPs have a special 12th fret inlay commemorating this fact. Some like it some don't.

The 2013 LP Traditional was the first time Gibson had made a solid (non weight-relieved) USA-line Les Paul since 1982. If that matters.

Whilst SteveT2's advice written above is almost always universally to be followed if you really can't tell the difference between several collected LPs and you don't have an experienced mate who can help then my advice would be to simply buy the one you think looks the best.

This is in no way a dig at yourself; it can take an awful lot of time and experience to notice different nuances between individual instruments and as long as the one you buy isn't a dog then you'll be just fine. Most LPs will feel slightly different from one another but are those differences good or bad? After all; LPs of the same model are built in exactly the same fashion using exactly the same parts and on exactly the same machines.

Buy what you like and you will like what you've bought.

Pip.

If the guitar sounds good when its NOT plugged in, chances are its a good guitar. My 2015 has the brass nut, (should i be concerned?). There is a noticable tone difference between the les paul models, and the push/pull pots allow you to use each humbucker in single coil mode so this gives you even more tonal options. If you end up sitting in with a cover band for some tunes and you need that other guitar you left at home, pull up on the knobs and bam single coil sound at the ready!! Kinda cool i suppose, even though i chose les paul primarily for the humbucking sweetness they have... LP's are heavy, but they sound so amazing the studio is ligher but the heavier the LP just my opinion the richer the sound might be that the resonance from the maple tops give more fullness to the sound of the string before it even reaches the pick ups...

If the guitar sounds good when its NOT plugged in, chances are its a good guitar. My 2016 has the brass nut, (should i be concerned?). There is a noticable tone difference between the les paul models, and the push/pull pots allow you to use each humbucker in single coil mode so this gives you even more tonal options. If you end up sitting in with a cover band for some tunes and you need that other guitar you left at home, pull up on the knobs and bam single coil sound at the ready!! Kinda cool i suppose, even though i chose les paul primarily for the humbucking sweetness they have... LP's are heavy, but they sound so amazing the studio is ligher but the heavier the LP just my opinion the richer the sound might be that the resonance from the maple tops give more fullness to the sound of the string before it even reaches the pick ups...

If you have the adjustable brass nut and push/pull pots then you must have the HP version. I have the traditional model. I think by now they may have changed over to a different nut

I think it's the features of the 2015 most didn't like, but the quality and build were top-notch, I thought.

I think most who experienced them and even complained about the features feel this way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a guitar that is better than what your abilities justify. It's a fun way to learn, if you have the dough.

Something to be said about going for quality, and LEARNING about that quality, as you learn to play.

However, if your experience level is low, you won't KNOW what is better or worse, what you like or dislike, until you get experience and ability.

BEST advice I have heard, or have to give, is regardless of knowledge or ability, get something you WANT to play, LIKE playing, and something that makes you WANT TO PLAY MORE.

That there my friend, is the best guitar you can possibly have.

nothing was wrong with my low price junior.it even came without the robotune,and actually the adjustable nut works pretty well if you want your action really low without a lot of hassle.it takes about 30 seconds to set the nut heigth with a small allen wrench as opposed to having to tweak the nut and maybe going too low and having to shim or replace it.if i could find a good deal on a 2015 standard i would buy it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a guitar that is better than what your abilities justify. It's a fun way to learn, if you have the dough.

Something to be said about going for quality, and LEARNING about that quality, as you learn to play.

However, if your experience level is low, you won't KNOW what is better or worse, what you like or dislike, until you get experience and ability.

BEST advice I have heard, or have to give, is regardless of knowledge or ability, get something you WANT to play, LIKE playing, and something that makes you WANT TO PLAY MORE.

That there my friend, is the best guitar you can possibly have.

Thanks this makes sense

Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate what everyone had to say. The idea of growing into the guitar makes sense as does having a guitar you enjoy playing. I have been playing much more over the past year and I am having fun watching my abilities grow. Seeing me being able to put chords together and make something that sounds almost like music has been exciting.

I have heard 2015 was probably Gibson's worst year on guitar build and quality.

This is simply not true. Many in forums had issues with some of the features, but the build and quality has never been in contest.

As an 2015 LP Classic owner I can say that wood selection, fit and finish is top notch.

But as someone that have spent years trying to find the right guitar I can only recommend you to try as many as possible.

If you are looking for a Les Paul-type guitar you should also play Epiphones. If you can't tell the difference the save that money for something else.

There are also lot's of other brands that make good guitars of the Les Paul type, like PRS, Hagström and more.

So get out there and play everything you can get yours grubby mitts on!

And when you get something really special in your hands, you will know. I promise.

Archived