Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Help

bf2master13

I'm thinking of buying a new amp for my Epi Les Paul standard. Previously I had a Fender Mustang 2, but now I'm looking for a marshall amp. I'll probably start gigging, so is there a good amp head I can get, or should I get a certain combo amp? By the way, I'm hoping to get a grungy/ hard rock tone. Thanks in advance.

Hi bfm and welcome to the forums.... [thumbup]

Some options to consider in choosing a new amp....

Size in watts....30watts+ for any situation which includes a drummer

Solid State vs Tubes/Valves vs Hybrid(mix of both)

Modelling amp or simple tone platform

Head/Cab vs Combo

Price... :blink: ....how much money is in the frame.... [biggrin]

Enjoy the chase

V

:-({|=

You may want to check out the the Fender Supersonic 22. It is surprisingly loud for 22watts. I am convinced it is as loud or louder than 150 watt Mustang IV. IMO, it has a lot of rock crunch, but more flexibility than a Marshall. At only forty pounds, it is easy to take gigging.

You may want to check out the the Fender Supersonic 22. It is surprisingly loud for 22watts. I am convinced it is as loud or louder than 150 watt Mustang IV. IMO, it has a lot of rock crunch, but more flexibility than a Marshall. At only forty pounds, it is easy to take gigging.

Fender Supersonic 22 is my dream amp, someday...................

• 4 months later...

It's also worth noting that tube watts are louder than solid state watts. A 30 watt tube amp is plenty loud (in fact, I've gigged my Epiphone Blues Custom 30 on the 15 watt setting with a full band and it was great), but to achieve comparable volume with a solid state amp you may need 50 watts or more.

The Fender Deluxe Reverb has been a standard with many bands for decades at 22 watts, though to get real crunch out of it requires a pedal or preamp of some sort.

Archived