Gibson Brands Forums

Made To Measure

KrisMiller

Yes, and maybe a Gibson 5 Star dealer might have a slightly better chance of getting that done for you, but the general impression around here is that Gibson has suspended custom builds. You could pose the same inquiry to Gib Customer Service- if they give the standard "not at this time" answer, perhaps they could match you up with something that ticks a majority of your boxes. Please report back & let us know what you find out.

EDIT: Cancel all that- Going now to read up on the Made2Measure program.

Sounds like the made to measure program is limited to Les Paul and SG models coming out of the Nashville or Memphis (?) Custom Shops. Those are both high production volume guitars that are Gibson's bread and butter.

I'm not even sure where the 160 E is built, but I would assume Bozeman since the basic construction is that of an acoustic guitar, with pickups added.

Contact a five-star dealer if you want to pursue it.

Thanks for the research, Nick. That's kinda what I was coming up with. Not much of a electric guitar person, here. Does raise a couple questions, though: would the J-160E fall into the electric group, is it made in Bozeman, and, in general, what percentage of current Gibson production is acoustic?

A whole 'nother world out there.

I am not familiar with the Made 2 Measure but there is one on eBay currently. The particular one I saw the seller had Gibson make him two identical J160e to spec in 1992. He is keeping one and selling the other. I have no affiliation, just happened to come across during a bout of insomnia.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Is it possible to have Gibson build me a 62' spec J-160e (basically a Lennon acoustic) with the Made To Measure program?

I heard today that Gibson is making a run of these in the April-June time period. They should be available from Five Star dealers. You could contact one now (see Gibson.com for contact info) and place an order.

Red 333

I heard today that Gibson is making a run of these in the April-June time period. They should be available from Five Star dealers. You could contact one now (see Gibson.com for contact info) and place an order.

Red 333

I expect they will be pricey. There have been a number of Lennon spec J160e's made over the years with varying degrees of faithfulness to the original spec. The original '62 J160e (the Harrison guitar and John's that was lost in '63) was a ladder braced, sitka spruce ply top, mahogany ply back and sides guitar with a P90 pickup and a single soundhole inlay ring. Gibson made a run of these in 2010 with a Lennon signature on the headstock and called it the 70th Anniversary John Lennon J160e VS.

The guitar that John acquired to replace his missing '62 was a '64 with two rosette rings instead of one. This is the guitar that became the "bed-in" guitar that was stripped of its finish and John sketched a caricature of himself and Yoko with "Montreal '68" on the lower bout.

Last March, the original '62 J160e turned up in California and went on the auction block last summer, selling for $24 Million.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=262277484081&globalID=EBAY-GB

Above link shows one in very nice comdition for sale here in the UK at the moment with spec you are looking for.

I had the x-braced solid top version 2012 for a few years before resorting back to a J45 Standard. The beefy neck was a negative for me due to small fingers.

You will be better using a 62 spec as an electric with flatwound or nickel electric strings to get the Fabs sound. Be warned - it will not sound that fab played unplugged.

Hope this helps.

Archived