Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45/J50 Saddle Replacement

MorrisrownSal

Hey fellas.

My J50... action super low. its been shaved down quite a bit by the prior owner's luthier.

I am thinking id like to have a slightly taller saddle. I am also thinking of replacing the UST pickup - but thats another story.

I can: 1) take it to luthier, have pickup taken out, have new saddle custom made, or 2) order a taller saddle from somewhere else and just work that out myself?

What would you do? Where would you order? I am thinking Tusq is fine... but I am open to bone if its not crazy pricy.

You can buy a Tusq saddle and just sand it down to height yourself. I did that after lowering the stock saddle on my J50 too much. I also bought a bone Colosi saddle for my J50 but found I prefer the Tusq over bone. Actually, right now I'm using an ebony saddle that I whittled myself, and like that better than bone or Tusq.

If you like the tone with the current saddle, you could easily experiment with shims.

Thin birch sheets in varying thicknesses are often available at hobby or craft shops, and they work well. I've used them often, and cannot detect any drop off in tone. Simply cut to fit snugly into the slot.

I enjoy doing something simple like a saddle. I have not torn into a nut yet, but may sometime. So far, I like the sound of bone on some of my Gibson & Epi Acoustics, but others much prefer Tusq style material. My next attempt is to work on a fully compensated saddle as I just hate the intonation being off as things just always sound out of tune, up/down the neck, to my ears anyway.

Archived