Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul vs Les Paul Bass

cody78

Was just checking out some Les Paul bass guitars in a sale on DV247's website and you can pick one up for £650 (about $936). Usually they are about £1000 here. It got me thinking, why is there such a gap in price between the LP bass and LP Standard or Traditional? Is it perhaps because the LP bass (like all Gibson basses, except maybe the Thunderbird) have never been very popular? Seems odd to have a £1000 (around $1440) difference between an LP Standard and the LP bass.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the reply sparky. That's interesting and makes sense I guess. As you probably know I'm a guitarist first and foremost and I'm not a 'proper' bassist really, but have played it every so often in the past for some groups.

I always loved the look of the Les Paul bass and am quite tempted to pick one up just for fun someday, especially at those reasonable prices.

At £650 I say go for it. I have a cheap (sub £200 Peavey BXP) bass which covers what I need it for as a guitarist but I thought about the Epi SG bass for its shorter scale. I bought the Peavey because it was almost half the recommended price at the time. Have you thought about the Gibson SG bass as, to me, that looks more "right" as a bass?

The price might also be marked way down because they aren't selling. They may also be selling them at a loss. If you noticed, a lot of NOS stock has hit the market at reduced prices. For example, Sweetwater is selling 2014 and 2015 Derek Trucks SG's for $1400 which is way off the $2800 they were selling for in 2013. I have a feeling that Gibson is purging their warehouse.

At £650 I say go for it. I have a cheap (sub £200 Peavey BXP) bass which covers what I need it for as a guitarist but I thought about the Epi SG bass for its shorter scale. I bought the Peavey because it was almost half the recommended price at the time. Have you thought about the Gibson SG bass as, to me, that looks more "right" as a bass?

I was kicking around that idea for a while.

Main reason: The SG style Gibson basses with the shorter scale, have a bridge closer to the center of the body, allowing us "guitarist" to play the thing like we tend to a guitar. That is, right hand in a position there on the bridge with maybe a pick.

Can't exactly do that with a regular long scale bass.

Archived