Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II Pick Ups

Campbell

Simple question:

If I removed the pick up covers from my Sheraton II, what would be underneath?

I know, I know...I could just remove them myself and find out, but she has new strings on her and I don't feel like taking it all apart right now just to appease my curiosity. Besides, I'm sure someone here would have the answer at the ready.

Thanks for any input, kids! [thumbup]

You will find two coils in each pickup, as in all humbuckers. Depending on the Sheri's age (years ago Epiphone didn't do this), there will also be wax that Epiphone puts in them to stop harmonic squeal.

Getting the covers off will require you to either melt solder off or cut the solder with a Dremel tool, which you'll have to use very carefully to avoid any damage to the pickup coils. You will probably melt some of the wax if you de-solder the covers.

I wouldn't bother with this unless I had a plan for modification to the guitar, but hey, it's your guitar and it will be a learning experience.

You will find two coils in each pickup, as in all humbuckers. Depending on the Sheri's age (years ago Epiphone didn't do this), there will also be wax that Epiphone puts in them to stop harmonic squeal.

Getting the covers off will require you to either melt solder off or cut the solder with a Dremel tool, which you'll have to use very carefully to avoid any damage to the pickup coils. You will probably melt some of the wax if you de-solder the covers.

I wouldn't bother with this unless I had a plan for modification to the guitar, but hey, it's your guitar and it will be a learning experience.

Thanks! [thumbup]

I really appreciate your detailed response. I was mainly curious if it would be black bobbins or cream or whatever. I've not done any major mods on my guitars. I naively thought the metal covers simply covered coils beneath and could easily removed. Mine is only a few years old, a made in Korea model.

Simple question:

If I removed the pick up covers from my Sheraton II, what would be underneath?

I know, I know...I could just remove them myself and find out, but she has new strings on her and I don't feel like taking it all apart right now just to appease my curiosity. Besides, I'm sure someone here would have the answer at the ready.

Thanks for any input, kids! [thumbup]

Hi I have just removed the pickups from my Sheraton and because I am replacing them I will have a look for you and post photo.

What did surprise, me when I did remove them is that the are both labelled with exactly the same sticker Epi dot neck/ bridge or Epi LP neck/bridge the pole spacing are the same the weight is the same everything looks the same except the colour of the wire !?? The Pickups in my guitar were microphonic and giving a bit of feedback when on high volume. The neck was more so than the bridge. First photo is what I removed, which really does look cheap and nasty, except the switch, and the second is what I am installing. I am hoping that the guitar will sound a bit better once I have installed the new wiring and pups but who knows sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Another thing about the guitar is how good it looks from the outside.... the neck attachment though oofftt! Rough or what... still I don't suppose you see it until you remove the neck pickup :)

post-77062-072736600 1456257989_thumb.jpg post-77062-087786000 1456258024_thumb.jpg

Hi I have just removed the pickups from my Sheraton and because I am replacing them I will have a look for you and post photo.

What did surprise, me when I did remove them is that the are both labelled with exactly the same sticker Epi dot neck/ bridge or Epi LP neck/bridge the pole spacing are the same the weight is the same everything looks the same except the colour of the wire !?? The Pickups in my guitar were microphonic and giving a bit of feedback when on high volume. The neck was more so than the bridge. First photo is what I removed, which really does look cheap and nasty, except the switch, and the second is what I am installing. I am hoping that the guitar will sound a bit better once I have installed the new wiring and pups but who knows sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Another thing about the guitar is how good it looks from the outside.... the neck attachment though oofftt! Rough or what... still I don't suppose you see it until you remove the neck pickup :)

post-77062-072736600 1456257989_thumb.jpg post-77062-087786000 1456258024_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Really helpful info there. [thumbup]

Doing a few mods to mine has been on the backburner for a while. Though I’ve no major issues with the pick ups, one idea for the guitar was to remove the gold hardware. I know, kind of a sacrilegious thing to do to a Sheraton. If I did, I wondered if it would be an easy fix to simply replace the gold covers or, if removed, would there be black or cream bobbins beneath?

Now I’m curious as to where your Sheraton was made? You have any idea? Mine was made in Korea at the Unsung Plant in 2012. She has the natural finish with a five piece neck.

Thanks! Really helpful info there. [thumbup]

Doing a few mods to mine has been on the backburner for a while. Though I’ve no major issues with the pick ups, one idea for the guitar was to remove the gold hardware. I know, kind of a sacrilegious thing to do to a Sheraton. If I did, I wondered if it would be an easy fix to simply replace the gold covers or, if removed, would there be black or cream bobbins beneath?

Now I’m curious as to where your Sheraton was made? You have any idea? Mine was made in Korea at the Unsung Plant in 2012. She has the natural finish with a five piece neck.

According to the serial number it was made in Unsung in 2005. You know there was a time when you could buy something and be confident of what you were buying now with copy tech that exists things are much more uncertain. For example I was suspicious that my guitar may have been a knock off because there is no serial number on the sticker inside the guitar for some reason but the guitar looks fine. I ask myself though why would anybody want to make a fake Epiphone Sheraton ? I am not that bothered about that now though I have had the guitar for more than five years and am just returning to it, that is why I am making the upgrades. I don't expect the changing of the pots will make much difference to the sound but I am hoping that the new pickups make a difference.

I don't expect the changing of the pots will make much difference to the sound but I am hoping that the new pickups make a difference.

Maybe not when they are all on 10, but how they work with the new pickups when you roll off the volume or tone controls, most certainly can make a difference.

I don't expect the changing of the pots will make much difference to the sound but I am hoping that the new pickups make a difference.

Maybe not when they are all on 10, but how they work with the new pickups when you roll off the volume or tone controls, most certainly can make a difference.

Nope. Pots and caps are ALWAYS part of the circuit, and heard.

500k is 500k resistance to a short- all the way down, circuit shorted and no sound. All the way up, 500k resistance (or rather, whatever the pot measures)to a complete short.

"All the way up" is not a wide-open out of the circuit path thing, it's just the mechanical stopping point of the pot.

Perhaps I’ll just leave well enough alone?

yea, If you like how it sounds, prolly would just let it be,

Sherries (and semi hollows in general) are a bit more involved to modify when it comes to changing pots/switches and pickups

• 1 month later...

Added PAFs to my 1989 Peerless Sheraton, made a huge difference. Left the pots alone because the CTS USA ones were too big to fit through the F holes. Changed to a Switchcraft jack and switch. Tied strings to the pots, jack, and switch to pull them through the holes, really helps. My buddies all ignored the Sheraton after trying it one time, so it sat for years. Now, I can't get them to set it down!!!! Don't know how much better the new (2016) Sheraton PUs are, but mine were really muddy.

Archived