Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 intonation problems..solved.

stephencoh

Over the last few weeks I became aware of a problem with my 2016 J-15; the intonation was off on the low E to quite a noticeable degree and it was especially noticeable on the 3rd fret. Also, everything seemed to go out of tune very quickly.

I figured it was the saddle and ordered a Bob Colosi bone saddle as a replacement. Anyway, last night I took the saddle out so I could see how much needed to be sanded off of the bone one, and while it was out I removed the under saddle transducer.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but when I put the saddle back in and tuned up, the low E is now completely normal. Also, I perceive a definite improvement in tone and volume, with the lower strings being crisper and clearer and the guitar generally louder and vibrating more. I know there are mixed views here about the effect of removing the transducer but I personally think it has made a difference.

The action was pretty high before I removed the transducer and now it is at a very pleasant 3mm low E and 2mm high E. I guess the high action was the cause of the problem rather than the saddle then? I'll fit the bone saddle but the pickup will be getting removed soon.

Ive been pondering this move myself - today on a canadian guitar forum I saw a video from james taylor describing how he tunes a few cents less than perfect ( varying from 2 cents high e to 12 cents low e and progresses thru the others) to compensate for slightly off intonation, supposedly more pronouced with short scale guitars like j 45s with heavey guage strings, Ive allways tweaked tuning after using tuners and this could explain why, Im also pondering the removal of under saddle but do love the sound as is and may live with the factory set height, may or may not, life is for learning they say [thumbup] cheers and stay tuned welcome from another newbie Jim

Archived