Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else hate CFL light bulbs?

saturn

Several years ago, these type of bulbs started showing up on the shelves to replace the old incandescent ones. I think they're being pushed by some government agency as being "green" or energy-saving or something. I think my eyesight has gotten worse since installing these things in all my fixtures. I end up straining to read anything in the half-a55ed light they produce.

Then I come across this article, which if even partly true, makes me like them even less. [unsure] Apparently they are full of mercury and very dangerous to clean up if they break in your home.

http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/why-we-got-rid-of-our-compact-fluorescent-bulbs/

There was a federal mandate that there shall be no more incandescent light bulbs as of <I forget the date>. True capitalism at work, the light bulb guys(GE, their head sits about three seats from the prez) were just delighted with this somber order that would save us all from some form of pollution or another. Nothing is better for business than not just making sh1tty stuff that lasts a week so they have to buy another, but having the government MAKE them buy it is a god send.

Cooler heads prevailed and it was rescinded not long before it was supposed to be implemented.

rct

Back in my early years (80's) I was with a special products division of Philips of the Netherlands. We introduced the compact fluorescent. After a generation or two they were fantastic in color (could look 90% of an incandescent). Soft warm, colorful light, and the damn things ran for 15K-20K hours. The price was $22.00. Another company invented, but decided NOT to patent, the spiral (or spring light) compact. Bad move. The originators product was again, fantastic. Long life, great color, compact size, etc. They were made in USA & Germany. Then manufacturers went to China with the product and just like guitars, all the copies started arriving here. They went from retail sell prices of $15-$17 ea. to $8. People didn't seem to notice they were now 8K hours (or less than 1/2 what the read deal was. Price killed the good ones and then the price kept coming down hitting bottom at $2-$3 each. The new hours were down to $2K hrs!!!! And they were absolutely crap. Fires starting as people would put them on dimmers and the dimmers smoked (not the bulbs fault as they had warnings, but speaks to the lack of since of the public at large). Now you see the "awful" looking blue ones (in compacts & LEDS too) everywhere. Makes me cringe. Best ones I ever sold with my lighting distributorship, were Panasonic bulbs M.I.J. and looked damn near like a frosted A19 light bulb.

The LED's have finally gotten better to where I'll sell these, but they still don't dim that great. Color is better, but rather harsh light output (much like Metal Halide HID lighting). Still don't like the 4000 Kelvin or esp. 5000K bulbs for residential use. Way too cool a color temperature for peoples domains where we're suppose to be able to unwind/relax.

So YES, I DID Love CFL's but not the crap out now. Design & product was great, but like always, price & cheaper race to the bottom ruined a great solution.

Aster

Satrun,

Yes all those things are true. Can't do florescent, its badd for you, plus its 'institutional'. The LED's are way better, but if you live in a 20 fl building like me, the fixtures are not going to take, so for all my lamps its LED's. For everything else, well, most things are more fun with the lights off.

Satrun,

Yes all those things are true. Can't do florescent, its badd for you, plus its 'institutional'. The LED's are way better, but if you live in a 20 fl building like me, the fixtures are not going to take, so for all my lamps its LED's. For everything else, well, most things are more fun with the lights off.

The fluorescent (good ones) weren't causing the "Bad for you" trouble. Maybe you haven't read about the research on LED and what they do to you yet? I get a lot of trade publications and reports with testing (good and bad) with products. Not sounding like we're going down the right path to "Kill a Watt" so to speak. I still maintain, the LED is a short term stop gap till something better can come along to replace it ASAP. Unless they can make some MAJOR break thru with LED that is.

Aster

What gets me, is that if these CFLs are as toxic as it claims, why wasn't there more effort to inform the public on the proper and specific cleanup and disposal procedures?

I for one, generally have never read the instructions on the packaging on a light bulb. I remove it from the box, and screw it into the socket. Throw empty box in recycling bin. :blink: Now, as of this writing, I haven't bothered going down in my basement and pulling a box off the shelf to read the writing on the box. But my guess is that it will be really tiny font and will be hard to read in the crappy light of the CFL bulb I'll be reading by. [unsure]

I was in a focus group about CFLs a long time ago...late 90s? Early 00s? They gave me a $50 bill for a couple hours of chatting. Seemed like most of the evening was them trying out different marketing strategies on us and our reactions.

Never made much sense to me. I realize an incandescent light is not efficient, but they also cost a quarter and give off good light. Meanwhile the CFLs don't work very well in a cold garage, don't seem to put out much light, I've heard them "sizzle" (quite unnerving) and they're made in China and cost a LOT more than a quarts. Plus supposedly you're supposed to wear a Devo meltdown suit to dispose of them.

Regular old bulbs have my vote. I don't know if or when they will become unavailable but it will be a sad day.

I have an LED light over my workbench, a replacement for the run of the mill 4 foot fluorescent. I like it okay. It's light, quiet, puts out good light. It was a bit pricey and I'm not going to run out and replace everything with LEDs but if you are considering a new workbench light, I'd recommend one.

The one thing I will say in defense of CFLs is that they put out a lot less heat. I have two three bulb light fixtures in my living room and before I switched out the bulbs to CFL, it felt like I was living under a fast food restaurant heat lamp.

Mixed feelings:

I like that they use less energy - therefore help to keep polluting the earth down (a lot of little things can make a big impact).

I don't like the mercury content, I don't like the fact that you can't put them on a dimmer, and I really don't like the light any more than any other florescent bulbs.

I do take them to the recycling center though (in our area Loews and Home Depot) so the mercury doesn't end up in the landfill

I do know from Electronics class, that only a small fraction of the energy incandescent bulbs use comes out in the visible spectrum, most of the electricity input and energy output is in the infrared frequencies which we cannot see.

LEDs seem to be the most efficient of them all, so I'm looking forward to buying them next time.

I care about the planet. Actually it isn't saving the planet, but saving our own a**es - and leaving the earth a little less polluted for the next generations.

Insights and incites by Notes

Oh man, light bulbs.

On a personal opinion, I like "light" and different options and the way they make me feel. It changes the whole mood of the room. I like lamps and such, lampshades, etc. Ya'll get the picture.

As it is now, I don't like most bulbs I end up with. Drives me nuts, and I usually have no idea what to buy. The "100" watt ones I notice seem to put out a lot of light, but for some reason, I feel like I can't see. It's very possible my eyes are starting to go bad.

LED's: I HATE them, and everything about them. Don't like the quality of light they put out, don't like the sharpness. Don't like the way they bug my eyes on other cars when driving. They really mess with my head.

I miss the old bulbs. As it is, I could experiment, but it's EXPENSIVE buying what's available just to see if I like it or not. I DON'T notice that bulbs are lasting longer. The extra 20 bucks or so I am saving on the electric bill isn't effecting my quality of life.

As for life on the job, the ENERGY CODE is driving us all nuts.

I do tenant improvement in office buildings in Oregon/Washington. The new codes only allow a certain wattage per sq. ft. And lots of new codes for switching and such.

Much of the time, when meeting "code", offices are ending up with not enough light, and things are getting pretty dim. When doing new construction, meeting the code is harder on the architect, and the tenants often notice and complain for lack of sufficient lighting. It's also kind of a dance trying to keep cost down and everyone happy.

Oregon is very "green", and politicians and activist LOVE making codes and rules and such, but very seldom is things though out very well. In this case, what they missed is that in a lot of the year here, things are dark and people get depressed, and we ALL like good lighting, even though we take it for granted. They have got so aggressive on it that offices and commercial spaces are going to be considerable darker and more depressing.

It's a quality of life thing, I think. I honestly don't think we want to make our 'environment' all that dark in the winter months.

We have a lot of downlights here and recently there was a Govt initiative to change the regular ones to LED....for free!

We went with it and from 25 watts per bulb we dropped to 6 watts and there was an increase in available light.

Now when Mrs Dig leaves lights on around the house (as she invariably does) I don't freak out about the power bill because of lighting.

She can leave the lighting on in two rooms (48w) and it's still less than one incandescent bulb (60w)

I refuse to have those pig tail things in my house.....hideous!

My husband and I were talking about this the other day. We currently have CFL's throughout our house. We switched from incandescent bulbs in an effort to save money since things are so tight for us (we did this in conjunction with me militantly following behind my husband turning off lights since he tends to forget). It helped our bill some, but being visually impaired I am always dying for good light when reading anything. We have made a plan of buying a six pack of LED bulbs each month (they are $20 on Amazon and we need 20 for the whole house). I will start with replacing the lights in the living room and bathroom first and see if it helps, then go from there.

I hate CFLs and replaced the ones my wife put in as soon as LEDs came out. LEDs aren't environmentally much better since they have lead and a few other nasties in them, but at least you don't need hazmat gear to clean up a broken LED. Also, if you don't like the blue light from LEDs look for the 3200K ones - they're about the same color as incandescents.

The one thing I will say in defense of CFLs is that they put out a lot less heat. I have two three bulb light fixtures in my living room and before I switched out the bulbs to CFL, it felt like I was living under a fast food restaurant heat lamp.

Mixed feelings:

I like that they use less energy - therefore help to keep polluting the earth down (a lot of little things can make a big impact).

I don't like the mercury content, I don't like the fact that you can't put them on a dimmer, and I really don't like the light any more than any other florescent bulbs.

I do take them to the recycling center though (in our area Loews and Home Depot) so the mercury doesn't end up in the landfill

I do know from Electronics class, that only a small fraction of the energy incandescent bulbs use comes out in the visible spectrum, most of the electricity input and energy output is in the infrared frequencies which we cannot see.

LEDs seem to be the most efficient of them all, so I'm looking forward to buying them next time.

I care about the planet. Actually it isn't saving the planet, but saving our own a**es - and leaving the earth a little less polluted for the next generations.

Insights and incites by Notes

That's pretty much the thing - I love that they put out less heat because I live in Florida and it's well, hot! However, I can see how a warm bulb could be a plus in say Michigan in the winter. [biggrin]

A lot of people say the light from a CFL is less pleasing, but it seems to me all of our lamps and light fixtures have shades or glass on them which diffuses the light pleasantly. And I like using less energy.

I have noticed that the CFLs do NOT last as long as they say the do! And disposal/recycling is a messy business. This might be one of those... until something better comes along scenario... we need a light bulb that is energy efficient AND not an environmental hazard. Wooden torches anyone? :unsure:

Is that the 2 pronged thing? we've got them in our bathroom sconce lighting. I realized that after I brought them home...with no bulbs.

Yep. Stupidest damn thing ever. Total pain to change.

I put an LED in my kids room. I like it because he never turns his light off but I don't like how directional the light is.

Doesn't fill up the room like the ole incandescent did. It shoots straight down. Not a great alternative.

Archived