Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else hate CFL light bulbs?

saturn

They are a scam. Here in Europe the EU banned The old incandescent bulbs, but the new ones use more energy and don't last very long (they were sold as lasting forever). Here in the UK you can still buy the old incandescent bulbs if there for industrial use. There are a lot of shops locally selling them to some very industrious households.

I'm finding the advent of LED bulbs quite interesting, being LED they should last a long time.

Ian

That's pretty much the thing - I love that they put out less heat because I live in Florida and it's well, hot! However, I can see how a warm bulb could be a plus in say Michigan in the winter. [biggrin]

A lot of people say the light from a CFL is less pleasing, but it seems to me all of our lamps and light fixtures have shades or glass on them which diffuses the light pleasantly. And I like using less energy.

I have noticed that the CFLs do NOT last as long as they say the do! And disposal/recycling is a messy business. This might be one of those... until something better comes along scenario... we need a light bulb that is energy efficient AND not an environmental hazard. Wooden torches anyone? :unsure:

I remember, when working in a "high end" high rise, having to put in different types of florescent bulbs in a lobby so they could choose the ones that looked the best.

For sure different bulbs produce different light. But for me, the thing I don't like is at the prices they are, experimenting isn't high on my list. I couldn't even say if there are choices, to tell the truth.

Last few I got, I wasn't impressed. Seemed bright enough, but didn't feel like I could see real well, and they didn't last long cause they burned out.

They are a scam. Here in Europe the EU banned The old incandescent bulbs, but the new ones use more energy and don't last very long (they were sold as lasting forever). Here in the UK you can still buy the old incandescent bulbs if there for industrial use. There are a lot of shops locally selling them to some very industrious households.

I'm finding the advent of LED bulbs quite interesting, being LED they should last a long time.

Ian

Partial scam perhaps.

They do use less electricity. It's a fact, and something I've known since college. There is a power per lumen ratio and florescents do much better than incandescent bulbs.

Those ugly sodium-vapor lamps that light so many US city streets use less power but that orange light is just plain too ugly to use indoors.

The LED uses the least amount of energy per lumen of light so far.

The CFL bubs do not last as long as advertised, at least that's my personal experience.

Lower power consuming light bulbs aren't going to solve our pollution problem, but enough small changes like that can result in a much cleaner planet for our children and their children.

It's not about saving the Earth. It will still be here when we are gone (the roaches will probably survive though). It's about saving humanity. I've been to Los Angeles, Beijing and a few other cities where you can't see more than 1,000 feet in any one direction. We're poisoning our planet in hundreds of different ways. IMHO We need to think about hundreds of different ways to reverse that. Low watt light bulbs are not the answer, but one piece of the answer.

Insights and incites by Notes

They do use less electricity.

The CFL bubs do not last as long as advertised, at least that's my personal experience.

Lower power consuming light bulbs aren't going to solve our pollution problem, but enough small changes like that can result in a much cleaner planet for our children and their children.

Power consumption is only part of the equation. While a CFL may produce more light per watt than an incandescent bulb they also take many times more resources and energy to make. Their production results in more toxic by products needing to be deposed of. They last half as long as an incandescent so they fill out land fills twice as fast with more hazardous materials. Most CFLs are made in China in factories with little or no pollution standards. This requires them to be shipped half way around the world on ships, trucks and trains to reach the USA market.

The CFL scam was a political stunt put on by politicians to grab some green votes from earth worshipers. Small, insignificant gestures like this are usually easy to pull off and go a long way in helping the politicians grooming a green persona.

[thumbup]

It's not about saving the Earth. It will still be here when we are gone (the roaches will probably survive though). It's about saving humanity. I've been to Los Angeles, Beijing and a few other cities where you can't see more than 1,000 feet in any one direction. We're poisoning our planet in hundreds of different ways. IMHO We need to think about hundreds of different ways to reverse that. Low watt light bulbs are not the answer, but one piece of the answer.

Insights and incites by Notes

Power consumption is only part of the equation. While a CFL may produce more light per watt than an incandescent bulb they also take many times more resources and energy to make. Their production results in more toxic by products needing to be deposed of. They last half as long as an incandescent so they fill out land fills twice as fast with more hazardous materials. Most CFLs are made in China in factories with little or no pollution standards. This requires them to be shipped half way around the world on ships, trucks and trains to reach the USA market.

The CFL scam was a political stunt put on by politicians to grab some green votes from earth worshipers. Small, insignificant gestures like this are usually easy to pull off and go a long way in helping the politicians grooming a green persona.

[thumbup]

I think this is the real prob;em here, with "green". I think what often is a good idea, MEANT to be "green", isn't green at all in practice. This can go all the way down the green chain of stuff that is marketed as saving the planet, but in reality, goes the opposite direction.

In this case, it is a rush and moving too fast. The regulations gave criteria that were too hard to meet, and in meeting it, they did, but made other, worse problems. I think a lot of the times politicians have "good" ideas they make laws about, but aren't taking responsibility for the execution, or don't care to. Once the laws are made to make the world a better place, then it's "their problem".

I don't blame folks for wanting better bulbs, more efficient, etc. It's a good idea. But there is nothing about the new regulations I appreciate, everything has effected me in the negative, and I have not one positive from it. That's just the facts.

That's just me though. Maybe someone has got some advantage from it.

Archived