Gibson Brands Forums

Ok i need help with strumming the guitar.

Basshole

Now I learning to play rythem guitar on my brothers gibson 12 string, now my question is do I isolate the notes I want to play (ex. if im playing a D chord, do I hit all 6/12 strings?)

When strumming a fast song What is the best way to keep the fast rythem with out all the extra noise?

You need to mute the strings that you don't want to hear.... Some strings you will mute with the tip of your finger. Example when you fret a note your finger is pressing down on a string. if you don't want to hear the lower string adjacent let the tip of your finger gently touch that string. That will deaden or mute that string from ringing out. Other times you will mute the strings with the palm of your strumming hand. let the end of the palm of your hand, the part close to your wrist rest on the bridge of the guitar. Depending of the amount of dampening you want you need to adjust the position of the butt of your palm over the bridge... Play around with that and see what results you get...

Tune the top E string down to D every time you play the D chord. Then you can play all 6 strings. Then just tune it back up to pitch real quick before you play your next chord. #-o

Seriously, buy a chord chart or book as Tim suggested and learn to mute the notes that do not fit the chord. It's also a good idea to learn why they don't fit. This is good basic theory.

Finally learning to use your right palm and unoccupied left-hand fingers to mute will come with time, and it cleans up the extraneous noise to which you refer. Stick with it!

Tune the top E string down to D every time you play the D chord. Then you can play all 6 strings. Then just tune it back up to pitch real quick before you play your next chord. :D

Seriously' date=' buy a chord chart or book as Tim suggested and learn to mute the notes that do not fit the chord. It's also a good idea to learn why they don't fit. This is good basic theory.

Finally learning to use your right palm and unoccupied left-hand fingers to mute will come with time, and it cleans up the extraneous noise to which you refer. Stick with it![/quote']

Thanks guys I appretiate all the input and sarcastic jokes.

Archived