Gibson Brands Forums

Sonny James has died.

MissouriPicker

Sonny James (The Southern Gentleman) has passed away at 87. I always thought he was kind of cool. Very talented guy and from everything I've read, a super human being. He retired from show business when he was in his early 50's. Said the main reason was he'd rather spend his time at home with family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_WDDCNAVRo

Hell, Cowboy, who knows?...lol...James is certainly known in the classic country genre, but not far beyond, although he had some big crossover hits. He retired from touring and recording at a relatively young age. Just a quiet quy who never "blew his own horn." He was already wearing black a lot in the early 60's when people began calling Cash "the man in black." James was flattered being call "The Southern Gentleman." I figure James is kind of like John Prine. Both very talented (in different ways), and both relatively unknown to the mainstream public.

I saw him in 1972 or 73 along with Freddie Hart and a slew of other bands that escape me. It was a great package. I think we paid like $4.00 for the nosebleed seats but the best ones were only $6 or $7. I remember seeing him hoist that Martin up to the microphone when it came time for a little picking.

Archived