Gibson Brands Forums

First "major" concert/s you remember going to

flatbaroque

Nostalgia time codgers.First concerts.

Tell us who you saw.Must be artist/s who had ,or went on to have some international standing.

In 1972 when I was 16 I saw Jethro Tull at the Horden Pavillion (Sydney). It was after Aqualung had come out but before Thick as a Brick.I still remember vividly the charismatic performance of Ian Anderson at his peak.

Same year I also saw Led Zeppelin at an outdoor concert at the Sydney Showground.They weren't too shabby either.

How about you.Please wax lyrical...or even instrumental [smile] !

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kiss 1977 Love Gun Tour! I have mental snapshots of that concert like it happened yesterday.

The Rolling Stones 1981. Tattoo You was the new album. Concert was disappointing. It almost seemed like the Stones were a parody of themselves. Then again 80,000 people at the Silverdome in Detroit isn't exactly what you would call intimate.

Kiss 1977 Love Gun Tour! I have mental snapshots of that concert like it happened yesterday.

The Rolling Stones 1981. Tattoo You was the new album. Concert was disappointing. It almost seemed like the Stones were a parody of themselves. Then again 80,000 people at the Silverdome in Detroit isn't exactly what you would call intimate.

Hey Aero,

I know that Kiss concert made a big impression on you - I heard you refused to take off your Paul Stanley make up from 1977 to 1980! It made some of your early job interviews somewhat

problematic [blink]

not sure but may have been James Gang circa 1970 in toronto, firmly placed joe walsh at the top of my favorite guitarists list still to this day, may have been johnny winter and - or was it the whos next tour....??? might have been smoking something funny in those days so its hard to remember but who ever it was changed my life and i still dont pass up a good show, last one was ringo not long ago

not sure but may have been James Gang circa 1970 in toronto, firmly placed joe walsh at the top of my favorite guitarists list still to this day, may have been johnny winter and - or was it the whos next tour....??? might have been smoking something funny in those days so its hard to remember but who ever it was changed my life and i still dont pass up a good show, last one was ringo not long ago

Funny you should mention Ringo Starr and Joe Walsh in the same post. They are Brothers-In-Law. Here is a picture from last summer in Aspen, Colorado - Ringo and his wife Barbara Bach, and Joe and his wife Marjorie Bach. Ringo used to own a house near Aspen in Woody Creek.

IMG_0855_zpsg4j10jcr.jpg

The "Monkeys"? Were they a Monkees tribute band?

Nope. Hendrix was opening act for that tour, until either he quit or they fired him, depending on who tells the story. He opened for a total of six shows, one of which was in my town. Pretty wild. My pals and I disliked the Monkeys, or at least pretended to. But, Hendrix? We had to see that, if only to impress the older guys who'd told us he was the opening act.

On edit: Ah, I missed the reference, likely because I misspell words so frequently! :)

Archived