Gibson Brands Forums

Newb with a couple of questions on his new (old) SG

Oig

Hey everyone, new guy here. I just lucked into a '68 (I think) SG Melody Maker, which I'm pretty stoked about. The 70's happened to it, so someone installed Badass bridge, and a humbucker from an L6-S at some stage. Another 70's occurrence is the obligatory headstock break, which has been well repaired. Speaking of headstocks, it's the regular Gibson style, not the smaller one you usually see on MM's. So it's basically an SG by another name. It's got plenty of scuffs, dings and buckle rash and I love it! I don't wanna change a thing. So, questions:

I just wanna fact check that it is a Melody Maker (the bigger headstock with inlaid logo threw me a little)?

Can anyone verify it's a '68? I was told it was a '69, but the serial (910392) seems to point to a year earlier.

The inlay broke (maybe at the same time as the headstock), and I'm thinking about repairing it. Where I can find a period correct inlay to splice with the original? I've seen a bunch online, I'm just not sure they're right?

Allright, thanks! Pics:

IMG_3398_zpsdyyjd3kz.jpg

IMG_3399_zpsoxxm20e8.jpg

IMG_3407_zps8ghn1pn1.jpg

IMG_3405_zps0c2qale6.jpg

IMG_3406_zps42ttpvnu.jpg

Hey, thanks! I think you're right. At first when I was looking at this thread - http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/the-sg-bevel-reference-project.18524/ - on EverythingSG, I thought it looked more like the '68 Standards. Checking it again, it looks closer to the '69 Junior on there. Maybe somewhere between the two? That still leaves the serial no though...I've checked through the lists here and over at Gruhn, and they point to '68?

Nobody, including (and especially) Gibson and Gruhn can tell anything from that serial number of the late-60's/early 70's era. According to published sources, the number you list COULD have been used anytime between 1968 and 1973.

The accepted method of putting a mfg date on Gibson's of this era has become potentiometer codes.

Each pot should be engraved on the back with two numbers. One is the part number, the other is the mfg/date code.

Unfortunately, many times these numbers get covered over with solder from the ground wiring. The number you're looking for is usually a seven-digit number starting with "137".

The format is mfgYYww:

"mfg" is the manufacturer of the part. "137" is CTS Corp, from whom Gibson (and Fender) bought most of their pots.

"YY" is the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

"ww" is the week of that year (01-52).

If.... the pots are original, this gives a date of which the guitar could not have been made prior to. How soon a batch of pots were shipped to Gibson after they were made, and how fast Gibson used them up and/or re-ordered can not be assumed, so you still have to make a reasonable judgement on when the instrument was assembled, especially on pots that date late in the year.

So assuming the pots are original, it was made in the early 70's. Unfortunately the last part of the number is covered, but you can clearly see 137-7 before the solder.

603A8AD0-3C98-486B-ADEF-71533EBF0383_zpsmvbdfl2w.jpg

This guitar is an enigma for sure....

As production of the SG Junior was discontinued sometime in 1971, so the "7" in the pot code really leaves you only 1970 and 1971. Published "selected shipping totals" show no entry for the SG Junior after 1970, but the models listed were "selected".

I think you are unarguably safe to call your guitar a 1970 SG Junior.

The absence of a headstock "volute" and/or "Made In USA" stamp also fit 1970 (I can't really tell from the photos). The existence of either, or both, of these features, would push it to late 1970 or early 1971.

As production of the SG Junior was discontinued sometime in 1971, so the "7" in the pot code really leaves you only 1970 and 1971. Published "selected shipping totals" show no entry for the SG Junior after 1970, but the models listed were "selected".

I think you are unarguably safe to call your guitar a 1970 SG Junior.

The absence of a headstock "volute" and/or "Made In USA" stamp also fit 1970 (I can't really tell from the photos). The existence of either, or both, of these features, would push it to late 1970 or early 1971.

Thanks for the help Larry, appreciate it. I'd love if it was a Junior! And that seems to be the consensus...but I keep seeing this: http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2010/6-24-10/gibson-melody-maker-6-24-10.html

Does anyone know anything about these? They seem to be rarer than hen's teeth but they're out there. I guess the only way of knowing is to pull the guard and see what's under there, but I'm having too much fun playing it at the moment! I think we can safely assume 1970 though. One of the guys over at EverythingSG mentioned that the neck and body could've been made in '68 and finally assembled in '70. That'd make sense of the serial no and the pot codes.

Edited, now with working link!

Archived