Gibson Brands Forums

Straps and Locks

Tatanka

I was checking straps for Les Paul online and saw this one: GruvGear DuoStrap Signature Ergonomic Double Strap. There is a complication I saw about it though that their regular duo strap model is for double cutaways and so needing an adapter option the same company sells for it for single cutaways. The adapter option which is a strap fits somehow across back side of body, so I am not even sure even with that adapter if the strap even it works on Les Paul. Anyone ever use one of these on Les Paul? http://www.gruvgear.com/duostrap-signature

Also I saw these also... anyone knows anything about these on a Les Paul?:

http://www.darestrap.com/guitar.html

http://www.slingerstraps.com/harness-strap-guitar-strap.html

Also if using any these 'ergo straps then I wonder about if needed then I'd have to install guitar locks to replace the stock pins... I see that all locks have issues one way or another save having one screwed in with large or such washer holding a strap in, but then strap stays unless screw out, no way I'd do that... Wear out the screw hole... Also even some 'almost guaranteed locks then sticks out and hard fit in case... A rocket goes to the moon, but a guitar strap yet to be made so it's easily taken on and off and one where it's at least almost 100% it won't slip off...

On a Gretsch I have I use Levy like a $100 strap they have and the good strong and tight at slit/hole in the leather pretty much stays put... Well, I should say it never has spread where it's ready slip out... Well, but it is true my Gretsch has male screws sticks out from guitar body and female nut screws on it... Side note is I do realize I always need check my Gretsch strap ends make sure female side is threaded all the way to the body... But I can just tell that tight fit leather just doesn't spread much so pretty secure...

I was looking at Gibson straps too and other brands too... Although I am sure the Gibson Switchblade is comfy, I just don't want strap to depend on the plastic locks... I checked online only the Slingshot, Fat Boy, Austin, Vintage Mod and Edge too and perhaps any those good for me, but not sure... Problem is I don't live in a 'big city where I can actually see the things... I may have to wait till I am in for example the Bay Area (SF, Cal area) it's about 3.5 hours away, I do go there now and then... I have bought a three inch wide Lakota Leather strap and its strong yet very flexible and made out of buffalo. Very good material! Thing is being very flexible/pliable makes it also easy to detach from either strap pins.. So all the good material in the world doesn't do any good if strap hole dislodges from guitar pin. I've been using the Lakota Leather strap with Grosch washers and luckily kind of frequently first I notice one the washers fall out so I catch it in time before strap dislodges... Before using the Grosch washers I saw my strap dislodge enough times on both ends to never trust it... Yep, since having those washers on too... the pressure of the actual strap dislodging was great enough to dislodge the washers first so I'd know strap was about to come off and so saving my guitar from falling to floor.

You don't have to unscrew anything with Dunlop or Schaller locks.

When you finished playing you unlock them. Their pin stays on your guitar and the lock on the strap.

Never had a problem with Schaller's.

Well, and for straps, buy the most comfortable for you, or you could also use any strap you already have.

A rocket goes to the moon, but a guitar strap yet to be made so it's easily taken on and off and one where it's at least almost 100% it won't slip off...

Not anymore. There are some locking straps now. My prefered ones are these:

http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=422&productname=Planet_Lock_Guitar_Strap_Rockstar

I can confirm these are 100% reliable.

A rocket goes to the moon, but a guitar strap yet to be made so it's easily taken on and off and one where it's at least almost 100% it won't slip off...

Well, they went to the moon before they put wheels on luggage too. So some things are just not right.

I use Dunlop strap locks. They're pretty good.

That duo strap looks a bit cumbersome to me, I get along just fine with Schaller Strap locks and a decent suede/brush leather strap. My heaviest LP is probably close to 12 lbs, (it was already about 10, then I added a bigsby/vibramate, which made it even heavier.)

Overthinking kills. It's just a guitar strap. I've been using Dunlops since I got tired of my brightly colored embroidered strap with leather ends slipping off of my strats and teles and stuff, lots of pictures of the duct tape wrapped around it to keep it closed on on there. Really, the problem to your solution has been around forever, and the solution to your problem is about 12 bucks retail.

rct

From what I read about every strap lock I have checked on all have vulnerabilities of unlocking unexpectedly. Seems there is no lock out there virtually 99% sure of not unlocking unexpectedly. So I'd say the better ones out there maybe 80% sure to remain locked, but I still don't like those odds. And again, those lock systems it seems then stick out too much for a good fit in the guitars case. So except for actually screwing the strap in with oversized washer seems no 99% guarantees of no fail. So yes, even a tight fit strap hole/slit over the guitar pin still no guarantees. But with me its all theory I hadn't actually yet tried any of the locks. I don't like the idea of unscrewing the stock pins to add a after market strap lock and then finding it has too much venerability of unlocking so then having to again try another one and I am afraid of eventually wearing out original stock screw hole. While looking for strap locks I did find decent ones like Shaller, Dunlop, Hennessy and more... But still I saw where those could end up coming apart when least expected.

So also since my Les Paul is heavy, I was looking at those ergo type straps... Granted I do realize they look radical and well, not 'cool... But I am 57 and need a healthy back and neck so the added support of these ergo types is something i just researching... Also I saw the 'Jimmy Page leather chain type to add to my list above... I am going San Jose soon and I heard of a big store there maybe they have lots for me to try out... http://www.guitarshowcase.com

Well, thank you for your info though, when I am at the store I will for certain also check out the Shaller and Dunlop locks and a comfy strap... Yep, I actually thinking I'd rather not go for those radical ergo type straps and a more traditional one that supports well enough... I have a strong enough back and neck... Well, now anyway... But yes, a comfy decent regular strap is probably good enough...

I don't know, the multiple Schallers and 1 Dunlop locks that I've got, have never really "failed" but you do need to check em now and then.

the Shaller lock part can move around on you.

I'm your age (Well maybe a year + ahead of ya)... I've definitely noticed the back complains a bit more these days.

my #1 LP is close the 12 lbs (due to it 1: already being a heavy one, and 2: added a bigsby..)

From what I read about every strap lock I have checked on all have vulnerabilities of unlocking unexpectedly. Seems there is no lock out there virtually 99% sure of not unlocking unexpectedly. So I'd say the better ones out there maybe 80% sure to remain locked, but I still don't like those odds. And again, those lock systems it seems then stick out too much for a good fit in the guitars case. So except for actually screwing the strap in with oversized washer seems no 99% guarantees of no fail. So yes, even a tight fit strap hole/slit over the guitar pin still no guarantees. But with me its all theory I hadn't actually yet tried any of the locks. I don't like the idea of unscrewing the stock pins to add a after market strap lock and then finding it has too much venerability of unlocking so then having to again try another one and I am afraid of eventually wearing out original stock screw hole. While looking for strap locks I did find decent ones like Shaller, Dunlop, Hennessy and more... But still I saw where those could end up coming apart when least expected.

So also since my Les Paul is heavy, I was looking at those ergo type straps... Granted I do realize they look radical and well, not 'cool... But I am 57 and need a healthy back and neck so the added support of these ergo types is something i just researching... Also I saw the 'Jimmy Page leather chain type to add to my list above... I am going San Jose soon and I heard of a big store there maybe they have lots for me to try out... http://www.guitarshowcase.com

Well, thank you for your info though, when I am at the store I will for certain also check out the Shaller and Dunlop locks and a comfy strap... Yep, I actually thinking I'd rather not go for those radical ergo type straps and a more traditional one that supports well enough... I have a strong enough back and neck... Well, now anyway... But yes, a comfy decent regular strap is probably good enough...

Pip's right Tatanka, Wide strap and lockers are the way to go, particularly if your LP is not of the weight relieved variety. I have an '011 LP, but it's still over 9lbs. I also have a solid body double cutaway Schecter that weighs about the same. I use 3" padded straps ( Walker & Williams black leather and Levy Honey suede ) both around $50 bucks on eBay. Also use a 3" woven suede leather ( no padding) that works nicely. The wide strap helps displace the weight and the lockers keep everything in place. I prefer Schallers. Nickels on the LP and SG. Ruthenium on the Schecter. ( It matches the "black chrome" of the Schecter hardware).Never had a locker come apart. Schaller's come with 2 length's of screws. So, if the screws on your strap buttons have a wider diameter, you would use the longer set of screws to get into virgin wood ( so to speak lol ). Of course on a guitar with the front button in the middle of the back, ( like an SG ) The female side of the locker would go on the outside of the strap. I know what yer sayin man... gotta take care of that back !msp_cool.gif

There is no fault with the locking pins. It seems your main concern is how secure the pins are themselves.

Yes Ive had older guitars were the screw has worn loose. One one occasion I replaced the screw with a larger longer one. On a separate occasion I squirted a little wood glue into the hole to firm up the fit.

But the locking pins themselves work fine. I had Dunlops ones once & had complete confidence in them. Having said that, I agree they do protrude a good deal, and can foul-fit in a case.

From what I read about every strap lock I have checked on all have vulnerabilities of unlocking unexpectedly.

Yes, what you read is undoubtedly far more accurate than the experiences of people using dozens of guitars over decades of performances in all kinds of places.

rct

From what I read about every strap lock I have checked on all have vulnerabilities of unlocking unexpectedly. Seems there is no lock out there virtually 99% sure of not unlocking unexpectedly.

not these one's: http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDESIGNED-Chrome-Strap-Locks-Pair-Straplok-style-HEAVY-DUTY--In-Stock_p_598.html

ive been using the same levy strap for 6 or more years now. hasn't fallen off a single time. since i started playing in 1983, i have never even one time, had a guitar slip off of the strap unless i didn't pay attention and put it properly on the pins. maybe my experience of the last 30+ years is non typical. somehow i doubt it though. it's hard to imagine being so luck that i've never dropped my guitar, but not lucky enough to win the lottery

Not anymore. There are some locking straps now. My prefered ones are these:

http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=422&productname=Planet_Lock_Guitar_Strap_Rockstar

I can confirm these are 100% reliable.

I was considering these but I was worried that the ends would Mar up my guitar. They seem pretty hard and bulky

Is there a 100% perfect lock out there......NO.

ANYTHING mechanical can and will fail at some point. I don't care if you nail the strap to the guitar.....it COULD still fail.

That said, as mentioned above........there have been countless strap locks used on countless guitars at countless gigs and did not drop guitars.

Out of those few that DID drop a guitar, I'd guess the bulk of those were not locked properly, or were never maintained and loosened up or something....both still not the locks fault.........the users fault.

Still leaves a tiny amount of actual "Failures", but it's a pretty minimal number.

I've used Schaler and Dunlop locks for decades........they work.

My only advice is install them properly and maintain them regularly. Any strap of preference will do.

NHTom

I have a Surelock locking strap, and one day I noticed that the plastic ends left some marks on the finish.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/LM-Products/Surelock-Nylon-Guitar-Strap.gc

Use it for my beaten Epi now.

It's a good idea but the design could be better.

And I prefere leather with Schaller's.

That's what I was afraid of. Was looking at one when I got my SG because of where the strap goes behind the neck but thought better of it. No way I'd put one on my new LP

Archived