Gibson Brands Forums

Straps and Locks

Tatanka

I've got one of the hard plastic things, and a few of the plastic locking rings, but the all around absolute best, easiest to use and secure strap locking systems I've tried are these:

Lock-it straps

Just slide the locking feature open and put it on like an ordinary strap then close it back down (it's spring loaded) Even if it fails open, the guitar is still in an ordinary strap. No hard plastic in contact with the guitar, no screwing around with the pins. Use it on any one of your guitars. Love mine. The link is to a narrow one, but I have a wider one. Great locking strap.

I've got one of the hard plastic things, and a few of the plastic locking rings, but the all around absolute best, easiest to use and secure strap locking systems I've tried are these:

Lock-it straps

Just slide the locking feature open and put it on like an ordinary strap then close it back down (it's spring loaded) Even if it fails open, the guitar is still in an ordinary strap. No hard plastic in contact with the guitar, no screwing around with the pins. Use it on any one of your guitars. Love mine. The link is to a narrow one, but I have a wider one. Great locking strap.

here's the problem with those straps for me in two words

"Neck Dive"..

Lock-it straps

Ive got one of those. I use it on my ES3-339 & also the Deuce. Yes it an elegant solution, and everything you say it is. [thumbup]

Not anymore. There are some locking straps now. My prefered ones are these:

http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=422&productname=Planet_Lock_Guitar_Strap_Rockstar

I can confirm these are 100% reliable.

I have something similar and they are easy and won't come off. You don't have to change the nuts.. Remember, if your Les Paul isn't flat on the ground, it's trying to get there :)

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and used to not use locks until I moved to Gibson. I had a scare where I had a strap pop off. Caught the guitar, but shocked me enough to get strap locks for it. Since then I had one incident where I didn't get the lock clipped in right but I knew it as the guitar failed to settle on my shoulder. They're good for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank y'all for all the good info. I'll be using all the info one way or another no doubt. I've gotten various implements mentioned by many of y'all and using or to use those on other instruments. I will head the lessons told by y'all.

For my Gibson Les Paul I ended up going with Gibson "Fatboy" Strap and Fender Strap Blocks (just like those Grosch washers). Well, this will stay the set up unless time tells otherwise... All seems good to go: strap really comfy/distributes weight takes much of the LP's load of my 'ole back, good tight slit/leather/rubber washers make for (I predict...) excellent security, all easy on/off and all looks fine.

Much appreciated all the feedback!

http://www.guitarcen...290447863839.gc

http://www.guitarcen...locks-4-Pack.gc

I have DiMarzio strap locks on several guitars & the ones with wide leather have the orange Grotch beer rubber washers..

These are what were used in the old days before Fender got the idea of selling them as gear..

Its just as well Fender did. I looked at every sort of beer bottle for a month before giving up and buying Fender ones.

Those washers were on a lot of bottles (as well as Grolch) years ago. The last ones I saw were on olive oil bottles. Its as well to re-state here that these probably wont fit into bespoke guitar cases.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've used Schallers for a couple decades and as long as you check them once in a while to make sure it's tight, it doesn't slip or come loose. I also use a wide leather strap, as long as I can get it because I'm tall. I've not used the Dunlops and the Schallers have been the best for me.

From what I read about every strap lock I have checked on all have vulnerabilities of unlocking unexpectedly. Seems there is no lock out there virtually 99% sure of not unlocking unexpectedly. So I'd say the better ones out there maybe 80% sure to remain locked, but I still don't like those odds. And again, those lock systems it seems then stick out too much for a good fit in the guitars case.

I have been using Schallers since I bought my first guitar at 18 and have never experienced any of these problems. The locking mechanism that holds the strap on is solid enough that you could swing your guitar around by its strap like Nikki Sixx and pretty much never have to worry about it flying off. Under normal use, I can't see how the guitar would slip off the strap. Regardless, strap locks are infinitely more reliable than standard strap pegs, and Schallers stick out less on the guitar than stock. I have never had a problem putting my guitar in its case once it has been equipped with them.

What I can't stand is my strap button screws come loose.

I use the toothpick trick, tighten them down, they come loose (overtime) and it's like

YIKES!

And grab the screwdriver and tighten them up again

You could replace the screws with longer ones. I've done that before & they never worked loose anymore.

What I can't stand is my strap button screws come loose.

I use the toothpick trick, tighten them down, they come loose (overtime) and it's like

YIKES!

And grab the screwdriver and tighten them up again

A drop or two of Gorilla glue on the tip of the screw should prevent that from ever happening again. It worked excellent for the sling on my Remington 870 and it goes through a helluva lot more abuse every fall than your guitar ever should.

Archived