Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hyote

Does anyone have a schematic for Gibson's new coil tap setup?

I read the Gibson web article from a few weeks back about how they have a new control setup for coil taps, where they connect a capacitor to the attachment point between the slug and screw coils of humbuckers. If I remember, this is the setup in the current Studio T.

From demo vids on the web, it sounds a lot better to my ear than a traditional plain coil split wiring. I'd like to try it on one of my Le Pauls. Does anyone have a schematic for that circuit? I'm also interested in what value of capacitor it uses.

Thanks,

Keep Rocking

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm pretty sure any addition of a tap (very different to a split) will require a rewind of your pickups.

where they connect a capacitor to the attachment point between the slug and screw coils of humbuckers.

Interesting. Would have to see the schematic, where did you hear this?

I'm pretty sure any addition of a tap (very different to a split) will require a rewind of your pickups.

I don't think so. I've taken several humbuckers apart before. Usually, the two coils are connected with a wire that can be accessed pretty easily once you get the cover off, and unwrap some of the tape.

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't think so. I've taken several humbuckers apart before. Usually, the two coils are connected with a wire that can be accessed pretty easily once you get the cover off, and unwrap some of the tape.

I think you're thinking of a split which removes one coil, a tap shortens both and would require a connection part way through the coil, hence needing rewinding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're thinking of a split which removes one coil, a tap shortens both and would require a connection part way through the coil, hence needing rewinding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's actually what we're talking about - splitting coils, not tapping really. http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Tuned-Coil-Tap-vs-Tap-vs-Split.aspx

I see what your saying now, I was thinking inside the pick-up.

they connect a capacitor to the attachment point between the slug and screw coils of humbuckers.

Here's the point which shows in the diagram.

The lower Tuned Coil Tap pickup connects the junction of the two coils to ground through a capacitor. This capacitor “tunes” the sound by filtering out certain frequencies but not others.

Interesting