Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BluesKing777

A Track with my J45 Standard

I keep saying how good my 2010 Gibson J45 Standard is sounding and playing at the moment.

Here is a recording hot off the presses. Guitar is just plain 'powerful' and there was smoke coming out my little mixing desk!

I did a solo acoustic version of Bon Jovi's "Dead Or Alive':

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/wanted1

BluesKing777.

I keep saying how good my 2010 Gibson J45 Standard is sounding and playing at the moment.

BluesKing777.

That guitar is sounding great.

I just can't believe that you've decided to pack it up and send it to BigDawg007 so he doesn't have to hassle with getting his J-45 repaired.

You are a gentleman, sir.

That guitar is sounding great.

I just can't believe that you've decided to pack it up and send it to BigDawg007 so he doesn't have to hassle with getting his J-45 repaired.

You are a gentleman, sir.

What???

My Ren Era J45 Standard, with every possibility than Ren himself may have walked past it while being assembled in the booth?

Cold Day in ..... And everyone for themselves if it gets to it!

Did I mention that vocal and guitar were in one mic? I think I captured the J's sound, but the internet squished the life out of it a bit. Best we can do!

BluesKing777.

Did a double take when you announced what song you chose.

You got that sambora solo onto for note dude !!

Seriously though , the j45 is sounding great. Almost as good as mine !!

No socks ,no sir

Thanks guys!

It is a strange choice of tune, BBG but well suited for the boomy J45! I pinged the lyrics off Chordie.com, and the solo off, can you believe, the Acoustic Guitar For Dummies book! They (band) played it lead guitar style and I added a drone bass. They played matching Taylors live on Youtube and I thought how nice it could be on my J!

BluesKing777.

I'm only being flippant Bk.

You know I'm a big fan of yours. Sounded better thank Jon as far as I concerned

Your hound has the hair for it

Thanks BBG, I know you are being flippant! Great by me.

I heard too much FZ in my early years to take anything too seriously.

So I was sangin' the tune to myself as I was riding my Steel Horse (bicycle) down to the beach along the river in ma cowboy hat..... [thumbup]

BluesKing777.

Yeah, I had to also do a double take on the selection, but what a cool choice and that J-45 does sound great indeed. Although I have a feeling the fingers have a lot to do with it.

Dont be shy to give the vocals a bit of oomph here and there, Im sure you can do it BK.

I must admit Im unashamedly big fan of that track and we do regularly peform it live, its a cracker. I had a look at the files and have a recording for it from Hard Rock Cafe some 4 years ago, back in the early days of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Y_f3iIz1Y

Your version gives me some good ideas how to perform it solo however, and still managing the vocals.

Cooking with gas BK [thumbup] .Almost sounds like an open tuning at times.Maybe it's the drone you get going.

To my ear it sounds like a 2010 J-45 standard, with a black nut and a pickguard partly covering the soundhole rosette! [smile]:mellow:,

I went to Tokyo for mine..the guy in the shop said "try this one grasshopper, Sensei Ren only made two this good.Some guy in Melbourne owns the other"

'

That was different. Excellent recording. Excellent temp. Smooth Vox. And the J45 sounds great indeed.

My buddy wanted to add a few of his songs to our sets. I said no. I suppose I felt that too many people associate the songs with the good looking guy. Which I ain't. And I figured it would be hard to perform this over a chorus of "really? Seriously?"

Besides. I don't own leather assless chaps...

Ok ok seriously! Awesome. Loved how you did it.

Thanks guys!

FB, there are more than two from the Master!

Buying mine was way more complicated than just going to Tokyo like you.... a very long, long story but I will freshen it up a bit and tell you.....

Last century, I was in a band for a few minutes with the piano playing version of me, liked everything I liked except he was very skinny and we couldn't stay in a band together at risk of being called Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello even if a couple of the other guys had stayed instead of leaving us in the lurch halfway to Byron. We remained friends in different bands and one day he called to tell me his new band was playing around and he was impressed enough to want me to see/hear them. I shoofed off to watch at the named evening, met the band in a break including the lady singer who over the years has also become friends and for a while I taught guitar to her son.

Got that?

So, J45 Standards....

I intentionally went to a famous guitar shop to buy a J45. There were 3 to try, a J45 Standard, a TV and another I had not heard of. I liked the J45 Standard and tried to get the manager's attention to do some wheeling dealing but he ignored me and kept eating his brunch. I went over and asked the best price and he spat food all over the counter with the price. I went home empty handed. I was telling my friend about the shop, and she said to never go there again - she used to be in a band with that guy and he sacked her and replaced her with his young girlfriend leaving a trail of bad feelings all around, especially when the girlfriend left him and the band...and the band begged my friend to come back. Unlikely, eh? So I can't go back to that shop.....

Aha, they have a few stores!

I drove hours to this other store. They had a TV and a Standard. Again, I liked the sound of the Standard and asked the price. Yikes, too much. I told him that the other shop said I could have it for X and the guy rang them!!! Awkward.

He said it is a deal, buddy. I went to the bank and got a cash cheque for the amount, fought my way through peak traffic and a surly bank teller to get back to the music shop to be told they can't accept a cheque no matter what. Would I like it delivered when the cheque clears?

No!

I went home empty handed in a huff and few days later, I took the cheque to my bank to cancel/put back in my account to be told thare would be $20 charge to clear it back in. Huh?

Weeks and hours went past...thinking, thinking, thinking...J45, J45, J45..............Went back to the second shop, played the Standard and the TV again and they had a Legend now! Too much money at the time. Rats! Gave my newly aquired Debit Card to the manager and took home my J45 Standard. Played it for a few days and my hands hurt - it was set way too high, so off to my guitar man for a couple of days and back with his magic dust waved all over the thing.....

And there you go!

BluesKing777.

Did I mention that vocal and guitar were in one mic?

You're kidding. You obviously got the placement right. The J45 sounds crisp! Great version!

I was wondering, many "new" guitars sound a little "harsh", a little too bright on the high strings but yours doesn't. I wonder what you have for strings and how old they are?

I play well played in "almost dead" 80/20's on mine too solve this issue on "non vintage" .

I was wondering, many "new" guitars sound a little "harsh", a little too bright on the high strings but yours doesn't. I wonder what you have for strings and how old they are?

I play well played in "almost dead" 80/20's on mine too solve this issue on "non vintage" .

The guitar is 2010 model, spent some time on a Tonerite and played in nicely since, BUT something happened a few weeks ago. The strings are Elixir PB 12s and I tear the top of a string packet with the name and details and I write on it when I changed strings - note says 'late April, 2015'. Because I play bare fingered, they last until I am bored with them and start to think they need changing - these look new still. Weird things, Elixirs and just ideal if you rotate around a few spare guitars you own... [biggrin] But it has been warm and really humid here and this guitar really likes it.

BluesKing777.

You're kidding. You obviously got the placement right. The J45 sounds crisp! Great version!

Thanks!

Mic is a beauty for acoustica - one small condensor Neumann KM184 - best mic I ever owned. Gets the detail without all the lows that a large condensior gets. I didn't touch any eq - all flat and straight to iMac.

Placement is a matter of luck, but I try not to move the stand when I am not recording, but just push the boom and mic up and out of the way. When about to record, I pull it back to approx halfway between the ideal 12th fret position that most acoustic guitar recorders use, and halfway up to my face. I have it off centre to my mouth so when I am playing a solo, I don't make breath noises in the mic too much.

BluesKing777.

Very, very impressive performance. Not to dis your J45, but I'm guessing you're one of those guys that can make any guitar sound good !

You had as much trouble acquiring your J45 as I have when I bring my dogs in to the vets to get their annual shots. Great story. Tnx.

That was different. Excellent recording. Excellent temp. Smooth Vox. And the J45 sounds great indeed.

My buddy wanted to add a few of his songs to our sets. I said no. I suppose I felt that too many people associate the songs with the good looking guy. Which I ain't. And I figured it would be hard to perform this over a chorus of "really? Seriously?"

Besides. I don't own leather assless chaps...

Ok ok seriously! Awesome. Loved how you did it.

I wasn't thinking about the good looking guy thing, just the guitar thing. Glad I didn't because I was mixing up him with Axel - who is looking a bit shot! But JBJ is still looking good!

We have to try harder than those guys that get a free ride! :mellow:

Ain't playing it anywhere, like you said, could get sticky!

Though it is good to have a few Blues Bros type disaster tunes up the sleeve for that 'Rawhide' moment.

BluesKing777.

Very, very impressive performance. Not to dis your J45, but I'm guessing you're one of those guys that can make any guitar sound good !

You had as much trouble acquiring your J45 as I have when I bring my dogs in to the vets to get their annual shots. Great story. Tnx.

Thanx 40 !

Not true but - I need the best guitars man can make to sound good!

(My Lab had 6 teeth out a few weeks ago and mean old vet put him on a diet! Labs can sure eat and the vet is no longer his friend. Instead of a biscuit he gets a rice cake, and the vet said to give him a piece of apple for a treat. Yeah right. Postman no longer is friend either and visitors in general should stand back....)

BluesKing777.

Thanks!

Mic is a beauty for acoustica - one small condensor Neumann KM184 - best mic I ever owned. Gets the detail without all the lows that a large condensior gets. I didn't touch any eq - all flat and straight to iMac.

Placement is a matter of luck, but I try not to move the stand when I am not recording, but just push the boom and mic up and out of the way. When about to record, I pull it back to approx halfway between the ideal 12th fret position that most acoustic guitar recorders use, and halfway up to my face. I have it off centre to my mouth so when I am playing a solo, I don't make breath noises in the mic too much.

BluesKing777.

Agreed, that is great balance for having just the one mic. Did you do any reverb or any other retouches? Sounds great!

Agreed, that is great balance for having just the one mic. Did you do any reverb or any other retouches? Sounds great!

My A&H mixer has some effects presets that are very nice - I use one with a combination delay/reverb and some other effects I don't recall without the manual. That's probably why the recording above is 'organic' sounding - if I was recording the guitar and vocals separately, I would have a different effect preset for the vocal and just a very small amount of reverb on the acoustic. The way I did it takes that choice away.

BluesKing777.

My A&H mixer has some effects presets that are very nice - I use one with a combination delay/reverb and some other effects I don't recall without the manual. That's probably why the recording above is 'organic' sounding - if I was recording the guitar and vocals separately, I would have a different effect preset for the vocal and just a very small amount of reverb on the acoustic. The way I did it takes that choice away.

BluesKing777.

Got it, makes sense. I think you're right, there's definitely a benefit to the overall sound by having both guitar and vocals together rather than separate.

The guitar is 2010 model, spent some time on a Tonerite and played in nicely since, BUT something happened a few weeks ago. The strings are Elixir PB 12s and I tear the top of a string packet with the name and details and I write on it when I changed strings - note says 'late April, 2015'. Because I play bare fingered, they last until I am bored with them and start to think they need changing - these look new still. Weird things, Elixirs and just ideal if you rotate around a few spare guitars you own... [biggrin] But it has been warm and really humid here and this guitar really likes it.

BluesKing777.

So they are quite old strings anyway. I was almost certain of that.

Cause I doubt a new guitar can sound like that with new strings, even if I am sure you already put some miles on it.

What surprises me is that it's PB strings. In my experience Pb's sound better than 80/20's (except for thomastik Infeld) when "new", like they settle in faster, and are warmer. But to me, Pb's dont age as well as 80/20's. At least the brands I tried. I definitely have to give those Elixir a try sometimes.

I went through an adventure too with my J-45 but I'll keep that story for the day I will upload my first songs to this forum ;)