Gibson Brands Forums

A Track with my J45 Standard

BluesKing777

Thanks there, guys!

Saturday morning here ..10am.

Every Saturday morning for the last few years, if possible, and earlier is better, I sit myself down in my music room and run through the same TAB/music booklet that came with a DVD lesson from Stefan Grossman - "How To Play Blues Guitar 1, 2 and 3". The rest of the week I veer and career all over the shop like a drunk walking home.

It is amazing how different EVERYTHING is a week later - body, head, hands, guitar, strings, weather, local noise. Sometimes I don't feel like going through that treacherous awful stuff but I do... So it is a small re-focus every Saturday morning.

So I am back from going through that stuff for an hour or so using my J45 Standard this week. (Usually the guitar with the newest strings wins, but I put a set on my D18 last week and it has a real dud 3rd string, but it took a few days to figure out what happened!).

Well the good news is the J45 sounds even better in the country blues style, with a bit more discipline that is needed by damping the right hand end. Glad I didn't dream it and I don't know why it has come alive so much all of a sudden, but I hope it stays!

Truth is, it saw me ogling that new J45 Vintage........ [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Your bench is sort of the Tpbiii fireplace of Australia.

Let's strum.

Probably because I don't have a fireplace!

True. 100 degrees tomorrow....

I suspect Tom did his photos on a cold day with many helping hands to set up guitars on stands or he would have done himself an injury. The people here would look at me like I had flipped if I wanted them to lift anything....

BluesKing777.

Thanx 40 !

Not true but - I need the best guitars man can make to sound good!

(My Lab had 6 teeth out a few weeks ago and mean old vet put him on a diet! Labs can sure eat and the vet is no longer his friend. Instead of a biscuit he gets a rice cake, and the vet said to give him a piece of apple for a treat. Yeah right. Postman no longer is friend either and visitors in general should stand back....)

BluesKing777.

If our vet messed with my Yellow Labs food intake - he'd find himself on the menu! Cooper lives to eat. Food is his 'GAS' !

I'm a fan of old strings too.

Hmmm. Old dogs, old strings.

Throw in an old pickup truck, some kids and watermelon wine and we might have a song here!

Very good BK I like it. I was wondering how the guitar would sound with you using a thumb plectrum?

Thanks!

I did work on playing with a thumbpick quite a few years back, but I don't really like the sound for my playing. The bass gets tangled up with the lead end. I get more separation with bare thumb, I suppose. It would probably need about 3 months practice to get a recording.....

BluesKing777.

Really nice.

I'm believing you are a Cowboy.....

[thumbup]

Thanks Murph.... truth is horses and me...well, not much. I do have bad memories of going on a trail ride with a group and I got the horse all the others picked on and spent the whole day about 1/2 a mile back....until it sniffed the home paddock and dinner! And I had a cattle dog once that was terrified of cows!

See, singing cover songs is like acting! In the lyrics is his 'steel horse' a bike or a car? I don't think he knew because one bit he says, 'drive all night'

BluesKing777.

If our vet messed with my Yellow Labs food intake - he'd find himself on the menu! Cooper lives to eat. Food is his 'GAS' !

I'm a fan of old strings too.

Hmmm. Old dogs, old strings.

Throw in an old pickup truck, some kids and watermelon wine and we might have a song here!

Ha, 40 YP!

So you understand my boy is not the man's best friend he was before the Vet got him....

First she said to give him a piece of apple for a treat, or carrot, and the ones he likes have 2 days worth of fat... except he don't want the apple and now is standing by the pantry door. And nor for the rice cake.

BluesKing777.

I hear what you say about separation the treble certainly nominates the sound. A thumbpick would bring the base to the fore but you do need to get used to the sound. You could just grow a little thumb nail that gives a more natural, could I say gentle sound.

Thanks!

I did work on playing with a thumbpick quite a few years back, but I don't really like the sound for my playing. The bass gets tangled up with the lead end. I get more separation with bare thumb, I suppose. It would probably need about 3 months practice to get a recording.....

BluesKing777.

I hear what you say about separation the treble certainly nominates the sound. A thumbpick would bring the base to the fore but you do need to get used to the sound. You could just grow a little thumb nail that gives a more natural, could I say gentle sound.

I keep my right thumbnail really short to stop it getting caught on the strings. I often play runs with thumb down, finger up and chord brushes - if my nail gets caught, it is nasty!

BluesKing777.

I'm the same as BK. The long nail didn't work for me , I think partly due to it growing and then breaking eventually , messing about with its accuracy. Not that I'm accurate , more I need all the help I can get.

Have tried thumb picks but don't have the patience.

There's nothing wrong with BK's playing let's face it. One of the most talented members on here. Gives me hope that he has same method as me.

And a big long nail looks creepy 😛

I'm the same as BK. The long nail didn't work for me , I think partly due to it growing and then breaking eventually , messing about with its accuracy. Not that I'm accurate , more I need all the help I can get.

Have tried thumb picks but don't have the patience.

There's nothing wrong with BK's playing let's face it. One of the most talented members on here. Gives me hope that he has same method as me.

And a big long nail looks creepy 😛

Yeah thanks, BBG!

I did get fairly proficient with thumb and fingerpicks years back to 'save' my fingers when playing a lot, but after trying different types, the picks actually were hurting my poor little fingers. [mellow]

Then I began to play mainly just thumb and index finger ALA The Rev, but cheat a little now and then and use my other fingers - with picks this got to be confusing. Gone. Don't confuse the guitarist...

I can see them being very handy playing all night in a pub, though. Cut through the din.

BluesKing777.

Archived