Gibson Brands Forums

Help and advice

58 Relic

Hi , I own a J45 Standard that's nearly 11 months old , it's has become my total favourite guitar and this is the problem . She is played nearly two hours a day and sometimes more at the weekends . The problem is that a patch about two inch in size of white bloom has developed under the area of my forearm on the top of the guitar . I have tried guitar polish and damp cloths also I use the two way humidifier system in the case . With use the area is getting larger . Is this something I have to live with ( I don't mind because the guitar is there to be played ) but any advice on how to remove or reduce this problem would be great

There are a few approaches to the hazing smears....

One, just ignore it

Next is preventative - wear long sleeve cotton t-shirts, or cut the top of a pure wool sock and wear that on your arm on the contact area. There is a commercial arm band somewhere as well.

Last and not least for me is to buy a couple of bottles of Virtuoso Guitar Cleaner and also a bottle of Virtuoso Polish, both designed for temperamental nitro finishes on geetars. For the light sweat smear, the Virtuoso polish has a small amount of cleaner in it and this will lose the marks! Save the cleaner for heavy duty cleans.

Preventative is better than using too much gunk. Once your guitar finish gets a bit older it will go harder and more repellant, plus you may have dings everywhere and don't care about hazing....

BluesKing777.

I had the exact same problem.

For once BK777 has given good solid advice and I find I must agree with everything he said (8-[): long sleeves, virtuoso, and time.

The lacquer on my Bird took about six months to calm down and about a year to get really hard. But it's worth it 'cause the sound gets better and better.

I was playing a bunch of new guitars at GC the other day and I was amazed at how thick and how sticky the new lacquer is. I'd forgotten what it was like. But I assure you it gets so much better.

Hang in there!

Yup, I do. I use Meguiar's Final Inspection #34 on a microfiber cloth to wipe down the neck (I hate sticky necks) and the body if needed. The solution has no wax, no silicone, and no abrasives. It's not even as aggressive as a polish. It's designed to be used on gazillion-dollar show-car finishes to keep them shiny between waxing and polishing sessions.

However, I think you'll find I'm in the minority here. Most guys use a diaper or something like, and breath or a very little water and leave it at that. And if you're dealing with a vintage finish with crazing, cracks, or checking you're best off to do that to avoid anything leaking into the wood beneath the lacquer.

Yup, I do. I use Meguiar's Final Inspection #34 on a microfiber cloth to wipe down the neck (I hate sticky necks) and the body if needed. The solution has no wax, no silicone, and no abrasives. It's not even as aggressive as a polish. It's designed to be used on gazillion-dollar show-car finishes to keep them shiny between waxing and polishing sessions.

However, I think you'll find I'm in the minority here. Most guys use a diaper or something like, and breath or a very little water and leave it at that. And if you're dealing with a vintage finish with crazing, cracks, or checking you're best off to do that to avoid anything leaking into the wood beneath the lacquer.

Aha!

#34 is keeping that bright green Yugo nice! Motoring secrets....

For my geetars, I just use a really thick old white t-shirt....pure 100% cotton Fruit Of The Loom. Got myself in the habit after playing, wipe the strings, back of neck, quick wipe of the whole body, some breath on the haze and a bit more of a wipe and into the case. Dog knows I have finished practicing by the squeek of the strings being wiped. (the Better Half too!) I can trick them by swapping to another guitar... [glare] [glare] [glare]

BluesKing777.

For my geetars, I just use a really thick old white t-shirt....pure 100% cotton Fruit Of The Loom. Got myself in the habit after playing, wipe the strings, back of neck, quick wipe of the whole body, some breath on the haze and a bit more of a wipe and into the case. Dog knows I have finished practicing by the squeek of the strings being wiped. (the Better Half too!) I can trick them by swapping to another guitar... [glare] [glare] [glare]

BluesKing777.

I totally agree, I only use old Cotton t-shirts to clean the guitar and nothing more than a little water.

I use a groover kind of microfibre cloth on the back of the neck because it gets really fat there.

If the guitar is still sticky after 11 months, I would put it out of the case on a guitar stand for a while...

Yep, I do the wipedown every time I play (except when I forget). I never, ever see anyone else doing it. Once at a jam someone commented to me that they'd never seen anyone else doing it. It takes about 10 seconds, and makes so much sense. That said, I still get some hazing in that forearm area.

Archived