Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson again

Gibson Artist

Pulled a trade and got this bad boy, 1993 Gibson ES-175. Not sure of any of the specs, tho i believe its maple top/back? the neck could be maple or mahogany i dont really know. Have no idea what the pickups are either. So not knowing the specs one would aks why buy? Because it looks, feels, and plays awesome! Even unplugged it sounds literally like its dripping butter easy to play. Thinkin of having her taken in for a checkup and maybe my guitar guy can tell me more what i have? I know some 175 say D at the end, dont know what this has and this is a lil odd for me to buy two Gibson gits in the same week without knowing the spec sheet. But, when i saw it, played it, and hear its beautiful tones, that was all i needed. If anyone has any info they can pass along on this model much appreciate. I took a few shots next to my J-50, what a week, a pair of Gibsons. Went thru some hard times financially, but its gettin better and 2 gibsons would make any player smile. [biggrin]

010_zpshce6fcqs.jpg005_zps43zjdbok.jpg006_zpsjpy36ppp.jpg175%20full_zpsjak7l5oy.jpg

Punks. I've lost track of two Gibsons in one week in my life.

Maple top, back and sides. Should be hog neck, pickups are garden variety 498s. But that's from memory, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

rct

Maple top, back and sides. Should be hog neck, pickups are garden variety 498s. But that's from memory, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

rct

Thanks! It looks like a flamed maple ibanez i had a few yeara ago but sold to fund christmas gifts. This one has a nice flame to it, while im not a fan of those floating bridge things and the temptation to Bigsby is great, ill prob just leave it stock. I checked the serial and it checks out ok, but i could not find the gibson label inside and its hard to really see inside. I wonder where they place it?

rct

Just got an email from the dealer, he said the pickups were 57 classics but everything else you said was spot on, maple/maple hog neck.

Wow jdgm! Black is superb!

I can hear the intro to Stranglehold just looking at that!!

That is one sexy beast. I see im not the only one who thought bigsby.

Thankyou folks. As soon as I saw it I needed it, there was no alternative. In fact the original guard is the same as yours GA. Gibson made all ES models and the L4 and L5 in this ebony black in 2013.

The Bigsby is great but bridge break angle now v shallow...need to sort out making it come back in tune perfectly every time.

The 175 is a very friendly guitar IMO!

Archived