Gibson Brands Forums

are 2015's really that bad????

bongofury

Hi I'm looking to get a 2015 Les Paul Jr but I'm not sure if

I should stay clear of the 2015s it seems the guitar stores in my area

Have all 2015s lying around . Can't sell them. Are they really that bad.

I played one and it didn't seem to bad. I really want the Jr or Jr dlb cut

But there hard to come by.. I found one 2015 in tv yellow that I have on hold

How often does Gibson put these out?

Thanks

Bongo

No, they're not "bad!" They just have features, that a lot of players didn't seem

to want, or take to, in great numbers. Hence, they didn't sell well, at all. But,

If you don't mind a slightly wider fingerboard, with metal zero-fret nut, and robot

tuners, Go For It!! I think a lot of folks didn't care for the "Les Paul" scribble,

in place of the normal "Les Paul Model" logo, either. But, that's only cosmetic.

Doesn't effect sound or playability. One can always replace the nut, and the tuners,

as well. So, you could end up with a really nice guitar, for a lot less money, in the

best case scenario.

Good Luck!

CB

NO its bullcrap they are really great guitars they are even in my opinion the best Gibson has ever made i got the lp traditional and lp standard they are awesome and i play now more then 28 years Gibson and they are stunning.

I dont know for the 2016 cause i will get my new traditional this week,but 2015 is a good deal trust me :)

No, if you like them there great, the build quality is superb. It's just the spec, as previously mentioned that makes them unpopular. I very nearly bought a Traditional SR which had most of the 2015 features deleted but not the logo and brass not. In the end I got a 2014 model (it did cost me more). If you're happy with the features on the 2015 model then go for it, there's some real bargains to be had out there.

Ian

No, they're not "bad!" They just have features, that a lot of players didn't seem

to want, or take to, in great numbers. Hence, they didn't sell well, at all. But,

If you don't mind a slightly wider fingerboard, with metal zero-fret nut, and robot

tuners, Go For It!! I think a lot of folks didn't care for the "Les Paul" scribble,

in place of the normal "Les Paul Model" logo, either. But, that's only cosmetic.

Doesn't effect sound or playability. One can always replace the nut, and the tuners,

as well. So, you could end up with a really nice guitar, for a lot less money, in the

best case scenario.

Good Luck!

CB

CB has it right.

I played a lot of these last year.

I got a good deal on one. The quality was outstanding. Seriously; I have never played a better LP.

You will likely need a replacement nut (if the guitars you've seen have brass nuts). Unless mods have already been carried out, Gibson will send you a replacement.

Never had a problem with the G-Force tuners yet.

I went to try them out, not to buy, but because I just HAD to check out the new "features" cause I read about them here.

I didn't care for the tuners, but they worked. Pretty much every time, easy. I liked the wider fingerbaord, but then didn't see a real reason. I REALLY wanted to check out the nut, because I think it's a great idea. Maybe even worth buying as an aftermarket if they become available. But, the ones I tried were sticky and made tuning issues, and if I played blues in first position, a little groove one had made pings.

I'm pretty sure the ones I tried were the first version brass nuts...there has been a second version, then of corse the silver and titanium ones sent as replacements.

Having said all that, the guitars, particularly the finish, were the best I have seen in a while. Better than they need to be, for me. Very, very nice stuff.

For someone, you or anyone, who likes a 2015, there is NO reason you shouldn't get it.

In my opinion the build quality of 2015 is better than recent years. The problem is the new features were mostly unloved and unwelcome. For me the only deal breaker was the Le's Paul 100 logo. I actually like the wider necks and zero but.

NO its bullcrap they are really great guitars they are even in my opinion the best Gibson has ever made i got the lp traditional and lp standard they are awesome and i play now more then 28 years Gibson and they are stunning.

I dont know for the 2016 cause i will get my new traditional this week,but 2015 is a good deal trust me :)

Hey

Guest Farnsbarns

It's really a matter of opinion. They're different and from what I can see, read and hear, largely unpopular but that doesn't make them bad, neither is it bullcrap that they're unpopular, they are, this is demonstrated by the amount of unsold stock, rapidly falling prices and demonstrable consensus of opinion.

I can't get past the horrendous (imo) scribble on the head stock. I also don't like wide necks with narrow string spacing, a la Ibanez but this is all subjective.

Recently I was offered an SG...it was what I always called a 'faded'; not sure if they still call them that. At first glance it was pure animal lust, everything anyone would ever hope for in an SG, bare bones rock n roll. I've owned 2 or 3 of them (2004,2008,etc) and they were wonderful.

The one I was offered was made in 2015 but was stamped as a 2016 model. It came with an upgraded brown/pink case and was priced at $600. I took it down from the rack and the nut height....oh my god. Is it a Dobro or a Spanish guitar? I'm not sure!

I walked away.

Seriously, dude. That thing was unplayable. Whoever decided that "as long as a Buick can't quite pass under the strings at the first fret, it's okay" needs to go work at Taco Bell. And washing dishes, not handling food.

Unacceptable.

s-l1600.jpg

Recently I was offered an SG...it was what I always called a 'faded'; not sure if they still call them that. At first glance it was pure animal lust, everything anyone would ever hope for in an SG, bare bones rock n roll. I've owned 2 or 3 of them (2004,2008,etc) and they were wonderful.

The one I was offered was made in 2015 but was stamped as a 2016 model. It came with an upgraded brown/pink case and was priced at $600. I took it down from the rack and the nut height....oh my god. Is it a Dobro or a Spanish guitar? I'm not sure!

I walked away.

Seriously, dude. That thing was unplayable. Whoever decided that "as long as a Buick can't quite pass under the strings at the first fret, it's okay" needs to go work at Taco Bell. And washing dishes, not handling food.

Unacceptable.

s-l1600.jpg

:-k Couldn't you have just had the nut changed, to your personal preference? [confused] I do that, every time I

buy a Gibson. It's just part of the "deal" with my dealer.

Granted, it shouldn't have left the factory, like that. But, that's an easy fix, unless there was more to it,

like a bad neck, as well?

CB

A Gibson SG with a brown/pink case for $600 and you walked away because of the nut (which the dealer probably would have fixed for you anyway, but even if not, it's an easy/cheap fix)??? Was there something else you just didn't like about it?

I walked away.

Unacceptable.

s-l1600.jpg

:-k Couldn't you have just had the nut changed, to your personal preference? [confused] I do that, every time I

buy a Gibson. It's just part of the "deal" with my dealer.

Granted, it shouldn't have left the factory, like that. But, that's an easy fix, unless there was more to it,

like a bad neck, as well?

CB

A Gibson SG with a brown/pink case for $600 and you walked away because of the nut (which the dealer probably would have fixed for you anyway, but even if not, it's an easy/cheap fix)??? Was there something else you just didn't like about it?

Feeling OK KSDADDY? this ain't like you.

Guy like you would have had this thing fixed, on EBAY, and flipped by now.

That's one nice case there. It's literally like getting an SG for 300 bucks! Maybe even 200!

I could have re-nutted it or trimmed the factory one, but I was so.....I don't know....insulted that Gibson would turn out one like this, that I just walked away.

Especially since I know they can crank out a US made ultra high quality (albeit austere) guitar on the cheap... and then to allow this to leave the loading dock?

Call me wrong for passing it up if you like, but to me it was the equivalent of buying a really good pizza and watching the delivery guy drop it in my driveway, scoop it up and put it back in the box and hand it to me.

giphy.gif

And why should you pay twice, once to buy the guitar and again to get it fixed or fix it yourself, both of which are costs. If it was 600 it was already hanging too long and they wanted it out of the store, but they weren't willing to put an hours work into it? I'da kept right on walking too.

rct

I could have re-nutted it or trimmed the factory one, but I was so.....I don't know....insulted that Gibson would turn out one like this, that I just walked away.

Especially since I know they can crank out a US made ultra high quality (albeit austere) guitar on the cheap... and then to allow this to leave the loading dock?

Call me wrong for passing it up if you like, but to me it was the equivalent of buying a really good pizza and watching the delivery guy drop it in my driveway, scoop it up and put it back in the box and hand it to me.

giphy.gif

And why should you pay twice, once to buy the guitar and again to get it fixed or fix it yourself, both of which are costs. If it was 600 it was already hanging too long and they wanted it out of the store, but they weren't willing to put an hours work into it? I'da kept right on walking too.

rct

Oh, I should have clarified, this was a USED guitar. The guy only owned it a couple months and bought some pointy thing. It LOOKED like new but technically it was used. It was a consignment.

What the heck are we talking about?

I thought we were talking about THE CASE! That's a genuine Cali-Girl SG case.

GIBSON CALI-GIRL CASE!!!!

you just have to ask gibson for a titanium nut and they send it to you, mine came immediately, but it was wrong size hahaha the next one came right away too, same size as the last, now im waiting for the next try they are sending one of each size. The brass zero nut just comes right off easily and drop in the new titanium one, that will fix the thing that caused the misinformation about the guitar sucking. That and the auto tuner thing, my 2015 didnt have the auto tuner so i cant comment on it and i love my 2015, with anticipation of the correct nut arriving any day now.

Archived