Gibson Brands Forums

pickup as option

jvi

just wondering if you folks like gibson pickups as original components or would prefer they were left out or offered as options ? I myself ( j 45 ) dont have much use for them and would prefer it wasnt there cheers from vancouver island canada

I'm likely in the minority, but my preference is to leave it out of the guitar and, if needed, to install one later. Considering the huge number of pickup options out there, a stock pickup that suits me out of the box is more gamble than I want to take. Right now, I have no need for one and have none of my acoustics set up that way. My current accumulation makes me happy - they play/sound as I prefer, and I don't want to break the spell by making unnecessary changes. That said, should the need arise for me to plug in, chances are I'll try to find a guitar that sounds good plugged in and relegate it to that application only. Most likely, it would need a pickup in the first place, so my starting point would be inexpensive and work up to more $ if/as needed. Anon, I'm pretty sure to be in the minority, but there it is.

I use all my Gibbys at gigs, so I want some amplification. I don't have any issues with the LR Baggs units that Gibson uses. Others don't care for them and replace them with something else. Fishman and K&K are also big favorites in here. They've all got plenty of fans. Kind of depends on what sounds like a good acoustic tone to the ears listening. If I didn't play out at coffeehouses and wineries, etc., the pickups wouldn't be important to me. All my Gibsons but one have LR Baggs units in them. A couple are Baggs Lyrics that I put in. The rest, except for my Hummingbird, are versions of the Baggs element. The bird has a Martin Gold Line something-or-other and it's pretty good too.

I love the Gibson installed pkg on my J45 Custom. Not so much the after market Fishman UST on my SJ200. I fear, if Bozeman were to discontinue offering models with pickups already installed - there would be an outcry.

Some folks here have argued that Gibson charges too much $ for guitars with plastic bridge pins, but none can agree on what fancier pins should be used - since there are obviously dozens of possibilities. Similarly, many here replace the tuners on the stock Gibson they purchase - maybe half just for 'looks'.

So, for an item that actually affects the SOUND of your guitar, albeit when plugged in, it would be hard to find the perfect match for everyone. The old adage - "You can fool some of the people some of the time...." could be modified to "You can please some of the people some of the time...."

In a week or two I should get my J50 back from Brother's Music in PA. They are taking out the UST that came as OEM in 2012, and installing a K&K Mini. I think the J50 had the simple Baggs (not the VTC that is on my 2016 J45). Of course it worked, but I never liked the sound of it. And it definitely sounded inferior to my J45 plugged in.

My D35 with the K&K sounds amazing plugged in and through an Orchid Muting DI. My only problem with the D35, besides not wanting to mess it up, is that it is long scale, and a heavy guitar, which can be tough after a 4 hour night of music standing up. I guess I hope the sound of the J50 with the K&K will also be great, and with the short scale and lighter body, I can just power on a little bit easier.

When I get it back I will report.

https://reverb.com/item/520276-k-k-sound-ultra-pure-mini-guitar-pickup-preamp?_aid=pla&currency=GBP&pla=1&gclid=CN-7-dvdpMsCFY9uGwodGc4Axg

This is what I want in my j45

The factory installed fishman (pre lr baggs days) pickup is quacky as hell and there is no volume at the sound hole , which is just useless.

I installed a k&k ultra pure in my d35 and it sounds great , but now they have this lovely control unit for the sound hole it's even better !

Totally love my LR Baggs Element on my J45 . Great sound plugged in and just played unplugged . I don't like batteries in boxes or compartments and I don't like a hole cut out of the side of the guitar for the preamp so I'm happy with the stock system

jvi, I like the fact that Gibson puts pickups in their guitars. Those of us who play out find them very handy and appreciate not having to go to the extra trouble and expense of adding one. If you don't like it and don't need it, then just don't use it. Having that pickup in your Gibson won't effect the natural sound of the guitar at all.

I would prefer the guitar to not have a pickup, since i will never use it. Taking it out and putting in a new saddle is just one step i would prefer to not deal with . My martin had a baggs anthem which is the mic/ust combo, which i pulled out and tossed in trash, and call me crazy, but i think the guitar sounded better without that little plastic wire between the bone saddle and rosewood bridge. My gibson JB has a trance amulet stereo system in it, which i plan to remove soon, as i am tired of looking at those wires and boxes inside the guitar, and i wonder if those two "lenses" on the bridgeplate and the boxes and wires and heavy metal endpin post are not a factor in losing a few sonic horsepower.

If i were ever to perform (highly doubtful) i would prefer an eartrumpet labs microphone.

I will sell that trance amulet when i remove it if anyone here would be interested...

I'm in the no pickup camp as my giging days are over.

Don't seem to mind it being there though. Maybe some day I'll get ambitious and remove it.

Aw ... who am I kidding? Should take the battery out before it corrodes or explodes or something.

I didn't really expect to be using the pickup when I first bought the my J45 custom a couple of years back as I only use it for recording. But I've since found that on occasion, by using the feeds from the microphone and the pickup I'm able to get some great hybrid sounds. The guitar sounds wonderful using the microphone only, but recently I did a track where I only used the pickup output straight into the desk, and I got a really great and different sound. So having the pickup has taken me places I hadn't expected to go.

So I'm definitely now in the camp for having these installed from the get-go.

Many who wind up with a factory installed pickup, wind up buying an amp even though they had only planned on playing unplugged - because amplification can help you hear some of your 'mistakes' a little more clearly. So, it helps you play better as an unplugged player. And, obviously, if that's all your using it for - it doesn't have to be a Rolls Royce.

all my acoustics have something... I use them all the time. if I'm recording I prefer micing them, but for the times when I've got a duo gig, or any performance situation, they're essential.

my 1978 Alvarez Yari is on it's third under-saddle system. the original was replaced with a fishman (natural) about 15+ years ago, that eventualy wore out, and replaced with a fishman infinity matrix,

my Taylor 310ce has a stock Fishman / EQ, the control panel is a little bulky but it sounds good.

my GS Series Taylor came with out any pickup, I eventually had an infinity matrix installed.

the infinity's are nice, they sound real good and the controls are mounted in the sound hole, pretty much invisible.

my classical/nylon (Manuel Rodriquez A Cut) has an LR Baggs pickup system

I have a Fender Acoustasonic Jr 150, and like siting in the living room on lazy afternoons plugging in and messing around with alternate tuning pieces and my looper. btw.. the new Acoustasonic SFX and Pro amps seem pretty cool, if not quite expensive, any one try one of these yet?

I've also got a DI setup that I use gigging that just goes to the sound board.

Archived