Gibson Brands Forums

Patriotic challenge to the forum

ZettaVita

I admit I am a beginner with a Gibson and a too-loud amp, but I have a plan to make it work for one day. Perhaps you can join me.

The challenge:

Between now, and July 4th, learn how to play the National Anthem. Clean, Hendrix, your own style, whatever. On that day, drag your amp out on the front porch, turn it up and let the frets fly. Not American, or live in another country? Please, join us on that day - either play the Star Spangled Banner or the anthem of your own country. Would be interesting to hear O Canada on guitar. Who knows, you might find another guitar player on your block, your town, or across the canyon. Who's with me?

Way ahead of you pal.

I've been doing several patriotic songs for decades as instrumentals, as well as sung.

America The Beautiful, Yankee Doodle Dandy, God Bless America, Star Spangled Banner, the list goes on, and I perform them a lot, not just on patriotic holidays.

Guest Farnsbarns

Way ahead of you pal.

I've been doing several patriotic songs for decades as instrumentals, as well as sung.

America The Beautiful, Yankee Doodle Dandy, God Bless America, Star Spangled Banner, the list goes on, and I perform them a lot, not just on patriotic holidays.

I've never understood why Americans see Yankee Doodle as a patriotic song. It's fine by me, just curious, are you all aware that it's a British song written to take the pee out of "wannabe" dandies from America who visited the UK during the Victorian era?

Edit: Oh, and I'm up for some patriotic guitar slinging. Count me in, although I might play the affore mentioned song. In my mind it'll be a little light hearted banter at you all but that's just me being a D.

I've never understood why Americans see Yankee Doodle as a patriotic song. It's fine by me, just curious, are you all aware that it's a British song written to take the pee out of "wannabe" dandies from America who visited the UK during the Victorian era?

Edit: Oh, and I'm up for some patriotic guitar slinging. Count me in, although I might play the affore mentioned song. In my mind it'll be a little light hearted banter at you all but that's just me being a D.

Can't argue with your comment about the song's origin, nice to know! Take it from a sometimes Texan, however, you all is spelled "y'all" and is pronounced accordingly.

Our National Anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner" is sung to the tune of an old English Drinking Song.

That's probably why it is actually a difficult song to sing sober.

:)

Actually, I think the idea is good, but more Nationalistic than Patriotic.

Here is what I do as a patriot and what I encourage others to do as well.

Find the closest VA hospital to you. Get a group or single act, learn songs that were popular during the last 50 years, and volunteer to play for the disabled vets living in the nursing home section of the hospital (for free).

We do this and it is one of the most rewarding free gigs we have ever played. We meet nice people, put a little joy in their life for an afternoon, and in some tiny way thank them for their service.

The first time we did this, we thought it was going to be a sad gig. We volunteered to play for the wheelchair division of the nursing home. It turned out to be a happy gig.

It is being service to others that have given to our country that makes me feel most patriotic. YMMV.

I think that song became a patriotic staple for us after WWII.

Ya'll see how we feel so patriotic, right? Us Americans love Brits (obviously), and we also love, LOVE when Ya'll try and take the piss out of us.

I mean, it's just darned near impossible!

Guest Farnsbarns

I think that song became a patriotic staple for us after WWII.

Ya'll see how we feel so patriotic, right? Us Americans love Brits (obviously), and we also love, LOVE when Ya'll try and take the piss out of us.

I mean, it's just near impossible! shooting fish in a barrel

Fixed [biggrin]

Fixed [biggrin]

That's quality humor there. A little bit older, and I would have pee'd my pants, too.

If you ever find yourself in a position to come to the west coast, specifically Portland Oregon (The great Pacific Northwest of The United States of America), and you DO want to shoot fish in a barrel, I can accommodate you. I actually have all the stuff needed for that.

Guest Farnsbarns

That's quality humor there. A little bit older, and I would have pee'd my pants, too.

If you ever find yourself in a position to come to the west coast, specifically Portland Oregon (The great Pacific Northwest of The United States of America), and you DO want to shoot fish in a barrel, I can accommodate you. I actually have all the stuff needed for that.

All the stuff being a gun, some fish and a barrel I presume.

I will be in the US in the not too distant future and I intend to meet up with a few of you guys. I'm there, get that barrel set up.

Shooting fish in a barrel may be harder than it sounds. First, slugs from most guns are only lethal for a couple of feet when shot into water. Second, light bends the images of objects in water, so they are not actually where they appear. Third, fish in water are usually moving, and obviously, hitting a moving target is harder. You might be better to use a shotgun and hit fish close to the surface. If I wanted to kill fish in a barrel, I might toss a cherry bomb into the barrel. They won't be hard to find on the 4th of July.

Shooting fish in a barrel may be harder than it sounds. <...> If I wanted to kill fish in a barrel, I might toss a cherry bomb into the barrel. They won't be hard to find on the 4th of July.

Good points.

If I wanted to kill fish in a barrel, I'd let the water out.

If my history serves me well The Star Spangled Banner was written about the British bombardment of Baltimore 1814ish.

Dispite the bombardment in the morning' the flag was still there' British sailors however were unhappy about being at war with people who also spoke the same language.

Guest Farnsbarns

Good points.

If I wanted to kill fish in a barrel, I'd let the water out.

Water was never part of my spec. Anyway, it's coming out after the first miss so it matters not.

If my history serves me well The Star Spangled Banner was written about the British bombardment of Baltimore 1814ish.

Dispite the bombardment in the morning' the flag was still there' British sailors however were unhappy about being at war with people who also spoke the same language.

Yes, that's when the poem was written. It was called Defense of Ft. McHenry, I believe. Later it was put to the tune of a British drinking song - but I don't know when. It became the National Anthem before WWII though - early 1930s maybe?

I admit I am a beginner with a Gibson and a too-loud amp, but I have a plan to make it work for one day. Perhaps you can join me.

The challenge:

Between now, and July 4th, learn how to play the National Anthem. Clean, Hendrix, your own style, whatever. On that day, drag your amp out on the front porch, turn it up and let the frets fly. Not American, or live in another country? Please, join us on that day - either play the Star Spangled Banner or the anthem of your own country. Would be interesting to hear O Canada on guitar. Who knows, you might find another guitar player on your block, your town, or across the canyon. Who's with me?

Doing the Star Spangled Banner for a Little League opening day Saturday.

Yes, that's when the poem was written. It was called Defense of Ft. McHenry, I believe. Later it was put to the tune of a British drinking song - but I don't know when. It became the National Anthem before WWII though - early 1930s maybe?

Well it's a great song, better than ours!

Well it's a great song, better than ours!

Drinking songs frequently are good songs.

On the subject of 'ours'...

I must admit that, as a Scot, my sentiments towards 'God Save the Queen' cooled somewhat after the lyrics of the seldomly sung (in Scotland) fourth verse were brought to my attention;

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King."

I'll be practicing "Donald! Where's Yer Troosers?" instead...

Pip.

Drinking songs frequently are good songs.

On the subject of 'ours'...

I must admit that, as a Scot, my sentiments towards 'God Save the Queen' cooled somewhat after the lyrics of the seldomly sung (in Scotland) fourth verse were brought to my attention;

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the King."

I'll be practicing "Donald! Where's Yer Troosers?" instead...

Pip.

This knowledge shall haunt me as I try and conform to it.

To me, Britain is Britain, and doesn't exist without the three. As an American, I would have a hard time accepting it, especially as you bring up a good point- ALL the best tunes come from Scotland and Ireland.

Take solace my friend, in this: to us Americans, "God save the Queen" isn't so much a song or sentiment to us as it is a statement of intent.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hmm, there are 4 countries in The UK and the one you forgot is the one known for its singers.

The really strange thing is we (the English) have no national anthem despite the other 3 countries of the UK having their own. The fourth verse (my personal favourite [scared][tongue][biggrin] ) isn't part of the "official" anthem.

Hmm, there are 4 countries in The UK and the one you forgot is the one known for its singers.

Just learned that only part of Ireland is the UK as well. I got lots to learn.

At least the recent vote made me more hip and aware.

Archived