Gibson Brands Forums

Patriotic challenge to the forum

ZettaVita

Hmm, there are 4 countries in The UK and the one you forgot is the one known for its singers.

Just learned that only part of Ireland is the UK as well. I got lots to learn.

At least the recent vote made me more hip and aware.

You mean Wales?

I didn't think that counted.

This knowledge shall haunt me as I try and conform to it....

No need to worry, stein; I was only kidding when I wrote that I'd be learning "Donald! Where's Yer Troosers?".

The fourth verse (my personal favourite [scared][tongue][biggrin] ) isn't part of the "official" anthem...

[laugh]

Yes; I know. I was only kidding. Yes, again. Written to celebrate the uprising of '45. Although it certainly had 'legs'. I quote;

"...(the fourth verse) was included as an integral part of the song in the Oxford Book of Eighteenth Century Verse of 1926..."

You mean Wales?................I didn't think that counted....

I think I'm correct in saying the oldest-established peoples of this 'Scepter'd Isle' are the Welsh. Their ancestors were here before those of any of the rest of us.

Pip.

Hmm, there are 4 countries in The UK and the one you forgot is the one known for its singers.

The really strange thing is we (the English) have no national anthem despite the other 3 countries of the UK having their own...

First-off I must say that a Welsh Choir giving of their best is a wondrous thing to hear. Truly Magnificent.

Secondly on a point of pedantry;

The other 3 have anthems ; not National Anthems save for the woeful Funeral Dirge that is God Save the Queen/King Delete as Appropriate which serves everyone in The Union equally well/badly delete as appropriate.

For the benefit of our American ex-colonials;

The term 'Great Britain' refers only to Scotland, England and Wales.

The term 'United Kingdom' refers to the three countries mentioned above but includes Northern Ireland in the group as well.

The term 'The British Isles' refers to all the above and includes the thousands of islands - big and small - which surround the main land mass such as The Orkneys, Shetlands etc...etc...

Thirdly; I have no beef with the Queen whatsoever. She's doing quite a fine job as far as I'm concerned.

Fourthly; Let's start a quest to decide on an anthem for England to have as their very own! Feel free to offer up suggestions.

I'd suggest 'Such a Parcel O' Rogues in a Nation' but, sadly, Scotland has that title in reserve for when we get tired of yon weel-kent Corries ditty.

Over to you lot!

Pip.

F

For the benefit of our American ex-colonials;

The term 'Great Britain' refers only to Scotland, England and Wales.

The term 'United Kingdom' refers to the three countries mentioned above but includes Northern Ireland in the group as well.

The term 'The British Isles' refers to all the above and includes the thousands of islands - big and small - which surround the main land mass such as The Orkneys, Shetlands etc...etc...

Fourthly; Let's start a quest to decide on an anthem for England to have as their very own! Feel free to offer up suggestions.

I'd suggest 'Such a Parcel O' Rogues in a Nation' but, sadly, Scotland has that title in reserve for when we get tired of yon weel-kent Corries ditty.

Over to you lot!

Pip.

You forgot the term, "British Empire",

Thus I might suggest, "We parted as freinds" as a good National Anthem.

You forgot the term, "British Empire",

Thus I might suggest, "We parted as friends" as a good National Anthem.

Nice one, stein! Especially if Tal Wilkenfeld is bassing-up Jeff...

Although the Empire, per se, no longer exists I did, in the interests of brevity, omit listing the 53-nation Commonwealth of Nations (formerly the British Commonwealth; formerly the British Empire) from my post...

[thumbup]

Pip.

All the stuff being a gun, some fish and a barrel I presume.

I will be in the US in the not too distant future and I intend to meet up with a few of you guys. I'm there, get that barrel set up.

Where in the US? If it's in Southern California I'll buy you a nice (cold!) beer [flapper]

Yes, that's when the poem was written. It was called Defense of Ft. McHenry, I believe. Later it was put to the tune of a British drinking song - but I don't know when. It became the National Anthem before WWII though - early 1930s maybe?

I live about 20 minutes from Ft. McHenry. It's a nice historical day trip if anyone is ever in the area. It's a nice park, with Rangers, and other touristy stuff.

There were two other, less known forts from that time nearby also. Ft. Carol is an island out in the harbor just off to the side of The Francis Scott Key Bridge. Ft. Armistead is up on the shore just next to the Key Bridge. Unlike Ft. McHenry though, these forts are abandoned and dilapidated. As teenagers we used to go to Ft. Armistead to "party" and you could still get into the fort at that time to explore all the caves and tunnels. There's still a Ft. Armistead Park open to the public, but the fort itself was fenced off several years ago to keep people out.

Our National Anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner" is sung to the tune of an old English Drinking Song.

That's probably why it is actually a difficult song to sing sober.

:)

Actually, I think the idea is good, but more Nationalistic than Patriotic.

Here is what I do as a patriot and what I encourage others to do as well.

Find the closest VA hospital to you. Get a group or single act, learn songs that were popular during the last 50 years, and volunteer to play for the disabled vets living in the nursing home section of the hospital (for free).

We do this and it is one of the most rewarding free gigs we have ever played. We meet nice people, put a little joy in their life for an afternoon, and in some tiny way thank them for their service.

The first time we did this, we thought it was going to be a sad gig. We volunteered to play for the wheelchair division of the nursing home. It turned out to be a happy gig.

It is being service to others that have given to our country that makes me feel most patriotic. YMMV.

Very good Notes! I applaud your 'energies' and thought II

All the stuff being a gun, some fish and a barrel I presume.

I will be in the US in the not too distant future and I intend to meet up with a few of you guys. I'm there, get that barrel set up.

I guess this means you're bringing the water(piss)! <guffaw> [laugh]

Archived