Gibson Brands Forums

Curious about Carr amps

Hall

No, is not you.

They are...ok. Nice, chimey cleans that break a tad after 1 oclock on the dial. The ones I've seen have all been in stores with really nice Fenders in them. A boutique Fender knockoff is nice and all, it's hand wired and all, but it's a Fender knockoff. When the real deal is sitting right there for half the price it's kinda hard to go with the booteek guy just because it's all hand wired and such.

If I was spending that kind of money I'd just get a Vibro King and have the real thing.

rct

Thanks, rct ..... on both counts! Think I'll put the magazine in the can and stifle the thought early on.

I wouldn't. But I wouldn't go by a magazine article, either.

Many RAVE about Carr amps. I have only heard others play through them a couple times, and they DID sound good on the stage.

One thing about "boutique" and such...you HAVE to hear them, and you HAVE to consider the speakers and tubes they have in them. Firstly point, because they are made to sound good, and if you can't hear it, there is nothing to appreciate. (And obviously, if you aren't getting a sound, it isn't worth the money). As for tubes and speakers, even if the amp is pure gold, crappy tubes and speakers will sound like they are. And while they are capable of getting the most out of these, you are really hearing them more for what they are.

The high end of amps isn't always just plug in and get nirvana. That goes for new hand-wired made with fairy dust to real deal vintage. It's only nirvana when you are hearing what you want by PLAYING what you want, and that's tubes, tube types, speaker types, guitar and pickups, everything.

I wouldn't dare take the old Twin I have up to 8! I just kind of became intrigued by the Carr demos when I went to the site. I'll make do with Valve Jr. when I'm staying upstairs.

No, is not you.

They are...ok. Nice, chimey cleans that break a tad after 1 oclock on the dial. The ones I've seen have all been in stores with really nice Fenders in them. A boutique Fender knockoff is nice and all, it's hand wired and all, but it's a Fender knockoff. When the real deal is sitting right there for half the price it's kinda hard to go with the booteek guy just because it's all hand wired and such.

If I was spending that kind of money I'd just get a Vibro King and have the real thing.

rct

I don't know about that.

Fender hasn't made REAL Fender amps for decades, except their own "boutique" stuff. You can't get anything like a REAL Fender amp these days unless you go vintage (which is likely altered anyway), or go with someone who makes "genuine" reproductions, which by definition, is boutique.

By my definition, a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb "reissue" aren't the genuine article. I know that comes off as snobbish, but the reality is they aren't the same by any real definition. They aren't built the same, don't sound the same, and don't work and play the same. Unless one is a collecter, a badge or a trademark doesn't come into it. The innards do.

Just sayin. When we say "Les Paul", it's helpful to specify Gibson or Epiphone.

Tone King is a real deal to me though for sure. Like REAL Marshalls, they gotta be loud for my taste of what "good sound" is.

I don't know about that.

Fender hasn't made REAL Fender amps for decades, except their own "boutique" stuff. You can't get anything like a REAL Fender amp these days unless you go vintage (which is likely altered anyway), or go with someone who makes "genuine" reproductions, which by definition, is boutique.

By my definition, a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb "reissue" aren't the genuine article. I know that comes off as snobbish, but the reality is they aren't the same by any real definition. They aren't built the same, don't sound the same, and don't work and play the same. Unless one is a collecter, a badge or a trademark doesn't come into it. The innards do.

I'm not arguing with you. I used them then and I use them now.

First thing, up there with those dopes with their amps and that other dope smashing those cymbals, a 61 Tweed built by Leo is the same as a Hot Rod Deluxe made by Guillermo at Corona.

Second thing, in the context of putting it in the space of a decent recording, with the lows covered and the keys mid-ing along and the drums whacking and especially making space for the vocals, the same applies.

A really good clean sound is just that and nothing else. Nobody does it better than Fender still, it's the one everyone tries for. It isn't a Tweed, that's a thing of its own. It's closer now to Blackface than it has been in a long time. I was even a fan of Silverface Twins with the pull "distortion" volume. Still the best clean all the way up the dial you can buy. Get a Dual Professional. I swear, you have to put three overdrive pedals in front to get it to break even a little. And gaining up and driving over means none of all that great clean means anything, it just becomes an overdriven great sounding amp.

So, I'm not arguing with you, because if you want to sip a good Port and huff some Macanudos and lift our little fingers up and discuss the delicate sweet caramel of each amp and how crispy the upper mids are, sure, the old ones will win. But for Buds and Marlbls down the local taproom, it don't make a lick of difference.

rct

I'm a huge Fender tube guy, and I currently own four different Fender amps. I never had a chance to try out a Carr amp, but if cost is an indication of quality, they must be very good. I recently bought a Supro Royal Reverb amp and I love it. I have noticed that most of these boutique amps claim they either have a Fender or Marshall sound. As stated before, you maybe better off just buying a Fender tube amps and save some money. Best thing to do is play as many different amps you can and buy the one you like the best. I have been chasing the perfect sound for years, good luck.

Archived