Gibson Brands Forums

Realistic Amp Project.

Searcy

81C225EC-049A-4B22-9585-BEB47A3BBA2C_zpsc3bktwyf.jpg

So here's another project to play with. I grabbed this off of Ebay a few weeks ago just to play around with. It was listed as a "1940's Tube Radio" so I got it for $45 with no expectations. I'm not an amp expert by any means so I may need your help with this one. Both in getting it working and figuring out who made it and when.

When it got here I tried to power it up. No dice. The vintage 6V6 power tubes had erratic glowing then one when out while the other started to burn inside. Then a little smoke leaked out of the case. I shut it down. After some pondering it seemed to be that a good idea would be to buy some new power tubes and a new rectifier tube.

The good old days of risking electrocution by winding speaker cable with damp hands I fear are far behind us. What a shame...

And squinting the first three times you stepped to the mic. You knew you were going to get it at least once.

rct

Thanks for the info BBP! I had seem another version of the amp that was from the early 50's so I assumed this one was from the early 60's. 58 sounds about right.

So the power switch on this amp in on the back of the Bass pot. It has been very intermittent so I jumped this toggle around it for the time being. I found an mid 60's 8 ohm CTS speaker in the shop and hooked it up just to see if it worked.

3497EF1F-A5F5-47B8-9E3E-C3738928BDE2_zpswsw2dpih.jpg

64D33DEE-22BA-40AD-805C-1E772DF2BB8B_zpsxh9vwna3.jpg

The switches and pots are dirty and need cleaning.

I hooked it up to my Ripper to see what it sounded like.

It has that 60 cycle hum going. It could be the filaments. Sometimes they used to ground one of the filaments to the chassis and it has to be lifted and/or an "artificial center tap" made with a couple of 100k resistors. I can't tell from the photos if that's the case. The other thing is to make sure the two 6V6's have the same filaments hooked up to the same pins. That looks o.k. I think. Replacing the two prong plug will help by isolating the common from the ground.

The cap job should take care of the splatty oscillation stuff.

Good luck!

It has that 60 cycle hum going. It could be the filaments. Sometimes they used to ground one of the filaments to the chassis and it has to be lifted and/or an "artificial center tap" made with a couple of 100k resistors. I can't tell from the photos if that's the case. The other thing is to make sure the two 6V6's have the same filaments hooked up to the same pins. That looks o.k. I think. Replacing the two prong plug will help by isolating the common from the ground.

The cap job should take care of the splatty oscillation stuff.

Good luck!

I'm going to start with installing a 3 prong cord next. After that I'll check out the filament wiring.

Archived