Gibson Brands Forums

snap, crackle, pop

treeriver

Hey ya'll

Newbie here, I just bought a new 2016 SG Standard T and when I run my hand up and down the neck I'm getting bad snap, crackle, pop, everything seems to be grounded good. Just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem and what a solution is. None of my other guitars do it and I have many.

Thanks for any help

Tree

hello Tree

Welcome to the forum man,

this is probably just static electricity, and nothing to be too concerned with. it's pretty common actually.

I've got a 95 Standard that I've had since August of 95, and it still will react this way from time to time.

Try a USED 1 time anti cling / anti static dryer sheet, and rub it along the back of the neck and if needed the back/front of the body.

It will "temporarily" give you some relief, and it should not mar the finish, (just rub lightly)

Once this winter dry air leaves us, the problem will diminish noticeably.

Hello Treeriver, and welcome here.

The reason is simple: Your Gibson is quite new! All of my Gibsons showed that during their early years - let's say 1 1/2 or 2. With tortoise Fender pickguards it seems to stay forever.

I would like to congratulate you on your new SG, but there's an unwritten forum rule: Pics, or it didn't happen! [rolleyes]

I have the same exact issue with my brand new 2016 SG Standard, along with a loud hum until the strings, bridge, or tailpiece are touched. Went through customer service and was told to take it to authorized service provider, and did so (a 100 mile drive). They checked it out, and was told there are no grounding isues. Their answer is that it's just static, and to use a spray static guard and it wont hurt the nitro finish. When I asked why only this high end Gibson had this issue and not my other guitars, they had no answer

I have multiple guitars, amps, and this new SG Standard is the only one with this issue. I really like my Epiphone SG 400 Pro (3 months old), and wanted to step up to the real deal and bought the Gibson SG Standard. And other than the static and hum issue, it is an awesome guitar! It just a shame the cheapo Epi sounds better with no static or hum issues :( This is a very serious issue and repeated calls to Gibson Customer Service is of no help. I am at a lost as to what to do next.

I have the same exact issue with my brand new 2016 SG Standard, along with a loud hum until the strings, bridge, or tailpiece are touched. Went through customer service and was told to take it to authorized service provider, and did so (a 100 mile drive). They checked it out, and was told there are no grounding isues. Their answer is that it's just static, and to use a spray static guard and it wont hurt the nitro finish. When I asked why only this high end Gibson had this issue and not my other guitars, they had no answer

I have multiple guitars, amps, and this new SG Standard is the only one with this issue. I really like my Epiphone SG 400 Pro (3 months old), and wanted to step up to the real deal and bought the Gibson SG Standard. And other than the static and hum issue, it is an awesome guitar! It just a shame the cheapo Epi sounds better with no static or hum issues :( This is a very serious issue and repeated calls to Gibson Customer Service is of no help. I am at a lost as to what to do next.

look a all the posts under same thing in the les paul section you will see mind as well

Archived