Gibson Brands Forums

Weird town names 2

Mr. Gibson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure don't want to risk getting banned here, but there are a couple of towns to the east of Lancaster Pennsylvania that are somewhat indelicate to the modern ear, such as the town of Intercourse, or just to the north perhaps the wee village of Blue Ball...

I sure don't want to risk getting banned here

Oooh, good point. Really hope the moderators see the good natured humour in both this thread and my Surnames one, both of which have kept me laughing all night during my boring work night shift...but they are all genuine places and names so we should be good.

Best town sign ever found in this Wiki link and it goes on to state there is a Dildo heading south...bwahahaha! I am actually crying with laughter [laugh]

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador

Theres a town in Wales called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch pronounced lan-vire-pool-guin-gith-go-ger-u-queern-drob-ooth-clandus-ilio-gogo-goch

Been there!

Lizard Lick, Whynot, and Climax are three towns in NC.

Ha,, we have a Climax up here in our province as well.

We also have a Moose Jaw, Eyebrow and a Big Beaver.

The name of the city I live in is Regina.

No we don't pronounce it "Regeena".

It's Regina, the city that rhymes with fun.

Ha,, we have a Climax up here in our province as well.

We also have a Moose Jaw, Eyebrow and a Big Beaver.

The name of the city I live in is Regina.

No we don't pronounce it "Regeena".

It's Regina, the city that rhymes with fun.

There's a Climax, Colorado too. There was (and maybe still is) a motel there called the "Come On Inn". Not kidding! My Dad's side of the family homesteaded in Regina, Sask. in the late 1800s. One of them was the fire chief.

That's very cool Bro. [thumbup]

Do you know if you have any relatives here still?

Not sure. Most of the family dispersed into various locations in the US. There are very few of us in North America that I know of. I met someone on another forum from Regina who mentioned that there's a firefighter museum there. I'm sure some early photos of my relatives can be found there.

In Dorset is the ‘River Piddle’, and on the Piddle is a hamlet called ‘Turner’s Puddle’. Whether or not Turner was the source of the Piddle, I don’t know.

Near where I live in Hampshire ‘Sandy Balls’ forms part of the New Forest.

And if you go to Plymouth and ask the whereabouts of ‘Plymouth Sound’, they will all point out to sea.

I sure don't want to risk getting banned here, but there are a couple of towns to the east of Lancaster Pennsylvania that are somewhat indelicate to the modern ear, such as the town of Intercourse, or just to the north perhaps the wee village of Blue Ball...

You beat me to it. I always think of them when this topic pops up.

Beebeetown Iowa, use to be called "Officialredrydercarbineactiontwohundredshotrangemodelairrifle" IA till the Post Office maybe made them change it I think. What Cheer Iowa, Cool Iowa, and Gravity Iowa (motto is "We're down to Earth" & "If Gravity goes, we all go!") [biggrin]

One of the drives I take really makes be laugh when it's cold & zero for a temp out. Jamaica Iowa. Snow all over the place and not a speck of sand in sight, except for the sand on the icy highway!! :rolleyes:

Aster

There's a hamlet in Oxford UK called Tokers Green......always smile at that one!

Around 1990 Leon Redbone was hired to compose and sing TV commercials for British Rail.

Asked if he ever travelled on British Rail, he said, "I took a train from London to Dorking. I had to go and see what a town called Dorking would look like...." [laugh]

South Dakota:

Mud%20_zpsh1khglnr.jpg

Archived