Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for Hummingbird

jw3571

I'm trying to find the best strings to bring out all the great qualities of my new hummingbird. I'm not sure what strings the shop where I purchased the guitar from had on it but it sounded a little dead. Yesterday I put D'addario EJ12 80/20 strings on it. So the far the results are mixed, i like how it makes it sound brighter but it sounds like it's missing something. What's everyone's favorite strings for their Hummingbird?

Masterbuilt PB, DR Sunbeam PB, or Pyramid Western Folk PB.

The Masterbuilts are what it shipped with from the factory (but not necessarily what were still on it if you bought it hanging on a wall). Great sound but the newer version of the last two or three years are really manic when they come out of the bag and take several days to settle in. But when they settle in....

The Sunbeams sound really rich and mellow within a short while of playing. Like the Pyramids they are round core so are lower tension than other strings and are easier on fingers and necks. While I'd normally play 12s, with these I'd rather play 13s.

The Pyramids are supposed to be low tension. I found them to be fairly high tension: I played 12s and wanted to switch to 11s. They also tweeked my neck as I was warned they might. No big--a truss rod adjustment or a trip to the luthier and Bob's your uncle even if you don't have an uncle named Bob. (Which incidentally I do in case you were wondering.)

Which one do I like best? Kinda leaning toward the Pyramids even though I'll need a luthier set up.

But the search is the fun part 'cause you get to play your $3k + guitar a whole lot!

So take what I write with a grain of salt then do whatever EM7 says.

Have to agree with the FullyMental one, go for PB's. I find 80/20's suck all the lovelly honey falvoured overtones right out.

And from that lot Sunbeams, Masterbuilt and Pyramids would also be my first choices, except the Masterbuilts die on me within a week.

The Masterbuilts are what it shipped with from the factory. . .

So take what I write with a grain of salt then do whatever EM7 says.

Ha, , , no don't. I'm a bit hazy when it comes to strings and for that reason decided not to chime.

But Fullmental invites, so here's what I had on for quite some time as a part of my 1000-days A/B :

Martin Flexcore ph. b. 12-54 on one (since nov.12th 2014)

and factory strings bought from shop-wall-Bird on another (since June 25. 2015). These are supposed to be Masterbuilts 80/20 bronze - also 12's, but 12-53.

Well, that's quite old wires, but both guitars sound terrific.

Time to change soon though. Whether it'll be to Flexcores or Masterbuilts is uncertain - but it will be the same for both and happen at the same time.

I don't like my Birds too clear and brittle and believe some of the classic B-sound comes from faded steel.

So that's my 5 Yen - a bit complex, but never the less.

Actually always listen to EA regarding strings - he seems to have an EAr. Now I might begin to zoom in on Fullmental Alpinist too.

I'm trying to find the best strings to bring out all the great qualities of my new hummingbird. I'm not sure what strings the shop where I purchased the guitar from had on it but it sounded a little dead. Yesterday I put D'addario EJ12 80/20 strings on it. So the far the results are mixed, i like how it makes it sound brighter but it sounds like it's missing something. What's everyone's favorite strings for their Hummingbird?

Did not try D'addario 80/20 but i use Martin SP 80/20.

I love them so far, but they need a few days at least, to loose the squizzzzzz when playing/sliding and they become more comfortable after a short while. Once you get there it is golden (to me).

I like them on the hummy cause they give a lot of harmony, rich sound that i do not get with phosphor bronze and even worse, coated strings. I find that phosphore bronze sound more "dull", somewhat flat. Did not find better for my taste than these martin SP 80/20, my hummy completely revealed when i tried them, but it is a matter of (own) taste.

I would wait a bit, give your new strings 2-3 weeks of playing time at least, be patient before switching to another kind.

I did not try to many different strings on my bird, cause I came back to the Gibson MB 80/20 pretty soon. And I leave them on for a pretty long while. Last set was almost one year on.

But I use mine at home only, no rehearsals, not gigs.

Archived