Gibson Brands Forums

BurstBuckerPro v BurstBucker 2 ad 3

Karpo29

Hi, just wondering if there is somebody out there who would be able to explain to me the tonal difference between the BurstBuckerPro and the BurstBucker 2/3 pickup combinations. You would find the former on the 2014 and 2014 ES-335 Trini Lopez range and the latter on the Dave Grohl Signature ES-335.

I'd be interested to hear the verdict of people who tried them both.

Thanks

I recently replaced a BBPro bridge with a BB3 in an LP.

Running a crunchy Marshall amp I find the pro harsher, denser and more bitey while the 3 is smoother, airier, and a little hotter. And for my ear and style, having better definition.

I think a lot of it is to do with Alnico 5 vs 2 magnets.

Some might say the pro is a more modern tone, the 2/3 more vintage vibe?

(please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong)

The Burst bucker series has 5 different pickups;

• BurstBucker Pro: offset-wound coils and wax-potted. Alnico V magnets.
  • BurstBucker 1; under-wound offset coils; not wax-potted. Alnico II magnets.
  • BurstBucker 2; regular-ish output offset coils; not wax-potted. Alnico II magnets.
  • BurstBucker 3; over-wound offset coils; not wax-potted. Alnico II magnets.
  • Gibson '61; regular-ish output offset coils; not wax-potted. Alnico V magnets.

This differs from something like a '57, which will have matched coils is is wax-potted.

Just a different dynamic; with the offset coils the BB's are probably considered slightly closer to authentic PAF's as they weren't really measuring the winds when they made pickups in the '50s and '60s. The different grades (1, 2, or 3) further match this as the random windings would have produced random output values. The Pro pickups are a variant where they've added harsher magnets and modern things like wax-potting, so will produce a different tone, closer to that of a modern possibly.

Hope the info helps in some way.

Archived