Gibson Brands Forums

Living Near The Sea?

Digger

Now I've spent almost all of my life less that half an hour from the ocean, and I take it for granted that I can easily go and walk on a pristine ocean beach anytime I feel like it.

I know that I'd have great trouble living somewhere a long distance away from the sea....I guess I've been spoiled?

Additionally where we have chosen to live currently is between 3 estuarine rivers and 20 minutes from the biggest salt water lake system in Oz. There is one ocean beach near us that is 90 miles long and mostly unspoiled.

How many of you live a long way from the ocean and do you miss it?

Freshwater lakes may be terrific but they don't have the same appeal to me as the salt. How about you?

Anyone not walked on an ocean beach?

We certainly have some coastline on this island!

DSCF3643Medium_zpsa7c46839.jpg

Coota12Sept06073Medium_zps7aa0b10c.jpgIMG_2747Medium_zps060b1d48.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something beautiful and primal about the ocean that's totally engaging. The feeling of land's end can't be easily put into words. That said, being ON the ocean is one of the worst feelings I've experienced. Glad I wasn't a seagoing Marine!

There's something beautiful and primal about the ocean that's totally engaging. The feeling of land's end can't be easily put into words. That said, being ON the ocean is one of the worst feelings I've experienced. Glad I wasn't a seagoing Marine!

If seasickness is what you refer to I can fully understand you not liking being on the sea, whereas it's a place I love to be.

I have always lived in coastal (U.S.) states—and close enough to the ocean to be able to drive to it in a half hour or less... but far away enough so that I could keep being "by the sea" more for special visits.

So long as I am not land-locked, I am good. But I don't need to hear crashing waves or the surf all day.

I'm in the middle of the U.S. So it's about a two day drive to the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean or down to the Gulf. Fornutaly I've been to them all several times. I love the ocean but was born in Iowa, and moved to Nebraska when I married. We took a Alaska cruise many decades back and we loved it. Probably have seen the Pacific Ocean a lot more visiting relatives every year with parents growing up. Been to Hawaii. Loved that on our Honey Moon! msp_thumbup.gif

....I guess I've been spoiled?

Indeed. Where you are, is very much one of the most beautiful places on the planet, which makes it also in the Solar System, The Galaxy, anywhere.

I have learned this from your photos and your writings.

Also, learned from you, you are surrounded, and live with, some of the best people to be had, again, in existence. Even considering the author may be biased, you write of a great wife, great family members, and a very spoiled dog, who also, might add, is spoiled with the very same riches as the master!

Spoiled? SPOILED?!

I often wonder how a man so blessed and with such an eye and heart for goodness and beauty can't clearly see God himself.

Indeed. Where you are, is very much one of the most beautiful places on the planet, which makes it also in the Solar System, The Galaxy, anywhere.

I have learned this from your photos and your writings.

Also, learned from you, you are surrounded, and live with, some of the best people to be had, again, in existence. Even considering the author may be biased, you write of a great wife, great family members, and a very spoiled dog, who also, might add, is spoiled with the very same riches as the master!

Spoiled? SPOILED?!

I often wonder how a man so blessed and with such an eye and heart for goodness and beauty can't clearly see God himself.

I see wonder in a tree, I hear wonder in a bird call, I love the boundless oceans, or a waterfall. I feel wonder at the vastness and complexity of the universe, and I feel love all around me. Of course to receive love you have to give it too. There is enough of the wonder of life around us to satisfy me and to fulfil my need for divine mystery.

Now I'm going to get something I really worship, a drink of Scotch! (not meaning to diminish the intent or sincerity of your comments Mr Stein)

We used to live 20 miles from the ocean and seldom went to the beach. Now we have about a 12 hour drive and we miss it like crazy!

My soul would rebel at being so far from something I love I think, though we are more adaptable than we ever imagine.

My soul would rebel at being so far from something I love I think, though we are more adaptable than we ever imagine.

I could probably organise to send the JW's around if you like Dig, but I hear you're armed so...

I love the..... and I feel love all around me. Of course to receive love you have to give it too.

Now I'm going to get something I really worship, a drink of Scotch! (not meaning to diminish the intent or sincerity of your comments Mr Stein)

Love literally POURS from your heart onto the pages of the forum, which is greatly received, and greatly given back to you with INTENT and SINCERITY!

May every sip of your well deserved Scotch be with sentiments as if I was pouring it for you myself. AND may YOUR cup be overflowing, into your lap!!! Representative of the love you have shared coming back to you!

Byron Bay, Lennox Head and Ballina are close by. They are putting up a Noah net at Ballina Dig - a few folks taken recently sadly.

I had some free time in Sydney last week and walked around the harbour - even in the city the sea smell and the breeze are special, no doubt. [thumbup]

The Queen Mary was docked at Cirular Quay - wow, impressive engineering there!

As some of you might remember (probly not), been seriously thinking of cashing in here in the city, and moving out a bit.

About an hour and a half from the coast here, so, been looking sorta closer to the coast, and the other direction.

What makes me bring it up, is the places closer to the coast, even within a half hour, are nowhere near as beautiful as going the other direction. It's the beauty of the land that compels me. In my case, trading a bit of a drive for cheaper rent, but trading also, a more beautiful place. Why not?

The epiphany, is there are a LOT of beautiful places on the planet, in so many different ways. From the concrete jungle of LA with it's city lights and sunshine, to the crisp clean air of the mountain forest, the clear skies of a desert, or the vast openness of the plains.

I always get a sense when standing on the edge of the continent. One of the most beautiful pictures in my mind was once, when doing that, turned around to see the buildings of the resort, thinking of all the people like me, there just to visit, for a short weekend of joy. And seeing, against the backdrop of the room light, dog ears silhouetted about every 5th room, of simple animals just staring at the wonder, having fun.

I could probably organise to send the JW's around if you like Dig, but I hear you're armed so...

Yep probably wise....armed & dangerous!! Well maybe not all the time.

Enjoying a nice drink with the lady I love and our dog outside ATM. Gonna fire up the BBQ in a minute and folks, life ain't really too bad~

Love literally POURS from your heart onto the pages of the forum, which is greatly received, and greatly given back to you with INTENT and SINCERITY!

May every sip of your well deserved Scotch be with sentiments as if I was pouring it for you myself. AND may YOUR cup be overflowing, into your lap!!! Representative of the love you have shared coming back to you!

I might make you an honorary Aussie yet Steiny and my drink is about to taste sweeter my friend. Thank you for your intensity.

I might make you an honorary Aussie yet Steiny and my drink is about to taste sweeter my friend. Thank you for your intensity and enthusiasm.

I like the ocean but I like inland areas too.

I grew up right along the coast on the eastern seaboard. After awhile it got a little old. My mom and dad were like Mr. & Mrs. Coastline. We lived on an island in the summer with no friends. Had to swim to to the mainland to escape every once in awhile. I used to have to go lobstering at 5 in the morning. I been stranded at sea, knocked into the drink every possible way during every season, had to take swimming lessons on how to swim through kelp beds. Fell out of every possible kind of boat. I pooped my trou for the first time on a boat. I remember my mom being madder than a hornet. You name it, I hated it. I can still taste the salt in my nose.

Twenty years ago we moved to east Tennessee and now, instead of smelling low tide we smell manure. And that's o.k. with me. [thumbup]

I live about 3 hours from the Atlantic. Much closer to the Chesapeake Bay and only a few blocks away from several creeks or tributaries which flow into the bay. I love being near the water, and that whole "nautical" environment.

Way back when I was in school, in some English or literature class or something, I read this great quote by some writer. I can't remember the author, or the exact words. But I remember the sentiment. He mused about how all people, in all times, everywhere in the world are attracted to bodies of water. Whether it's an ocean, lake, river or even a small stream. It's just something about being near the water that puts people in a reflective, contemplative state of mind. Many times over the years I've wished that I would have saved that quote...

I lived the first seventeen years of my life beside the sea on the north east coast of England. In the summer we would cycle to the beach and swim in the icy water, you do things like that in your teens!

Then I moved to London. On summer Sundays we would squeeze into a van and lumber the fifty miles or so through nose to tail traffic to arrive at the beach hours later. The guys thought it was great, I couldn't understand it.

The sea is nice if you live in a warm climate say in the South of France but here in UK .nah!

I've lived less than a couple of miles from the sea since I was 10 years old.

I love salt water. When I was a kid I fished salt water, and the few times I tried fishing fresh, the fish were too small, didn't put up enough fight, and didn't taste as good either.

I prefer swimming in the ocean, with the sandy bottom (no grassy stuff under my feet) and I grew up with a pair of swim fins on. I can free-dive to 65 feet and I've done a fair amount of scuba. I prefer free-diving because all that scuba gear is cumbersome and it takes preparation.

Right now, the eastern edge of my property is about 200 feet (60 meters) from the east coast of the mainland of Florida. East of that is a 2 mile wide, shallow lagoon, a thin barrier island and then the Atlantic Ocean.

To the west of me is a freshwater wetlands preserve and I'm on a Florida mountain (32' / 19 meters) above seal level on an ancient sand dune.

Almost paradise

As some of you might remember (probly not), been seriously thinking of cashing in here in the city, and moving out a bit.

About an hour and a half from the coast here, so, been looking sorta closer to the coast, and the other direction.

What makes me bring it up, is the places closer to the coast, even within a half hour, are nowhere near as beautiful as going the other direction. It's the beauty of the land that compels me. In my case, trading a bit of a drive for cheaper rent, but trading also, a more beautiful place. Why not?

The epiphany, is there are a LOT of beautiful places on the planet, in so many different ways. From the concrete jungle of LA with it's city lights and sunshine, to the crisp clean air of the mountain forest, the clear skies of a desert, or the vast openness of the plains.

I always get a sense when standing on the edge of the continent. One of the most beautiful pictures in my mind was once, when doing that, turned around to see the buildings of the resort, thinking of all the people like me, there just to visit, for a short weekend of joy. And seeing, against the backdrop of the room light, dog ears silhouetted about every 5th room, of simple animals just staring at the wonder, having fun.

I love the coast up in your neck of the woods. I wish I had a better camera while I was there

A24FB5CC-3AB0-4ED1-A2AF-285445F2CE24_zpsc5cb2htb.jpg

I usually work in Newport Beach during the week so I'm at the beach all the time. I've seen whales, many dolphins, tons of seals and sea lions, and all kinds of cool animals there. I love sea lions

Archived