Gibson Brands Forums

Living Near The Sea?

I lived in Hawaii from the age of 8-12. My Dad was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base.

I was at the beach a lot. And I have wonderful memories.

I lived about 200 ft. from Pearl Harbor. You could see the Arizona Memorial from my front yard.

There IS something special about living next to the sea. [biggrin]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I lived in Hawaii from the age of 8-12. My Dad was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base. I was at the beach a lot. And I have wonderful memories. I lived about 200 ft. from Pearl Harbor. You could see

I was born in Portsmouth and despite a lot of traveling and moving about, have always returned here.

As a child my parents would take me down to the various bits of beach or inlets. At low tide I would complain about the stink, but they loved that smell. Now I love it too, and would miss it I'm sure.

I also work on the coast, close to the mouth of the river Hamble and even closer to Southampton Water, the water course with a double high tide that is busy with container ships and ocean liners every day.

I regularly walk close to Southampton Water on my lunch break. You can get caught out by the rising tide along the shore if your not careful and have to tread back in bare feet carrying your shoes. Ive seen cars get caught out similarly. Park on the beach at Langstone when out for a beer in the evening, and emerge from the pub to find the water up to the windows!

At home I regularly walk down to Portchester Castle, originally an 11th Century fortification. I have taken thousands of photos of the castle over the years. In snow, mist and at sunrise & sunset.

But Portsmouth is a Naval base. The integrated series of Victorian Forts stretch for miles around the city. Several along the chalk down Portsdown Hill to defend from inland and the sea forts rising out of the water to defend from the sea. They are called Palmerstone's Follies (Palmerstone was the Minister of the time) because they were never used. But the design of the forts are nothing short of brilliant. The French never obliged by invading.

I have holidayed on cruise ships these last several years. Endured force 11 storms across the Atlantic and sometimes felt queasy. It hasn't stopped me and it didn't stop my late partner Jan, who was prone to seasickness and suffered a great deal more than I did.

I have a seascape painting on the wall of my sitting room. I bought it in Cornish fishing village and its of a stormy rocky coast at dusk. So I suppose I do have a deep rooted connection to the sea and to coastlines.

Sea air (even low tide) always helps me feel invigorated.

I've been to Portsmouth and further west to Cornwall. I've also seen TV shows about the tides there and the castle. I have a strong interest in the UK, especially the history, because essentially it's our history too.

Is the stink you described to do with seaweed? Or is it mud? Both can get a bit pongy!

You've doen a good job of painting me a picture here and I enjoyed your post thanks.

That is a consideration, since, like stein, I've also been considering where it is I want to move to. Somewhere along the Pacific coast - CA, OR, WA - right near the water, that's always been kind of the ideal, the dream spot. Of course, dear Mrs. Cougar wants be in or near a big city (not L.A.) where there are lots of fine restaurants and live music, etc. That doesn't sound real bad to me either. [cool]

The history of tsunamis along the west coast is pretty sparse. There's apparently one major offshore fault that starts at the CA-OR border and runs north, but the real major fault all along there is the San Andreas, which is inland, so hey, no problem, huh? :rolleyes:

Land on the inland side of the SA fault might be a good long term investment?

New beachfront?

I lived in Hawaii from the age of 8-12. My Dad was stationed at Hickam Air Force Base.

I was at the beach a lot. And I have wonderful memories.

I lived about 200 ft. from Pearl Harbor. You could see the Arizona Memorial from my front yard.

There IS something special about living next to the sea. [biggrin]

Some iconic images there Brad and you are right about the sea being very special.

Oh, trust me Digs, if you were where this description is, you would forget all about the coast.

I never been to Canada, but there are some BEAUTIFUL forest and rivers and lakes around here. Pics don't get it either, as the smell, and the sounds (it's QUIET), so gentle, but yet so big.

Some lakes or rivers you can see 20 feet down, clear as bottled water in glass. Taste good too. And you can see the wild fish slowly swimming by.

That's why Bigfoot lives there. They love it.

Be nice to visit Steiny but I wouldn't want to stay there.

I didn't realise that Bigfoot had such strong opinions~

I grew up in north central Florida about an hour and a half from the Atlantic. Since I spent most of my teenage years driving to the coast to surf or fish, I naturally decided to move to it. Best move I ever made. It's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Even on the days that I am not in or on the water, I can see and smell the ocean. That makes me happy. [thumbup] There are some beautiful areas in the middle of the country, but I just don't think I'd be happy that far from the ocean.

Dig,

I grew up South of Boston and spent all my summers on the ocean. I have traveled the east coast and surfed many of the beaches from Maine to South Carolina. At age 32 I moved to Georgia and the closest beaches we have are about a 4 hour drive from here. It is something that my wife and I sorely miss. When I cam back from Nam, I started working as a meat cutter and my hours were such that my wife would take me to work at 8:00 Am and then she would drive twelve miles to a secluded private beach that a friend of ours lived on and she would spend the day till it was time to pick me up. We would then turn around and head back to the beach,pick up a supper along the way and then we would stay til it was time to head home. I would surf some and the kids would play , my wife just loved it and it is sometimes a sore spot when I mention the times we had at the ocean.We both miss it but sometimes life takes a turn that you must follow. We still once in a while get to the beach, no spontaneity,as it is a major chore to get to the ocean now.

I was in Hilton Head last week and it was so quiet, as it was before the season here really gets into full swing. Was great and very relaxing, something about the energy that the ocean infuses into your soul. Maybe in the not too distant future we can get closer to the ocean once again.(Dreaming)

We're about an hour from Galveston Island (2 hours now since it's Spring Break), and get down there a couple time a year. I grew up sailing on inland lakes (there's a picture of me at about 6 months old in the sailboat with my dad someplace in the family archives)

Anyhow, the only bad thing about the east coast of the Gulf of Mexico is that these:

412287219.jpg

are sunrises.

We're about an hour from Galveston Island (2 hours now since it's Spring Break), and get down there a couple time a year. I grew up sailing on inland lakes (there's a picture of me at about 6 months old in the sailboat with my dad someplace in the family archives)

Anyhow, the only bad thing about the east coast of the Gulf of Mexico is that these:

412287219.jpg

are sunrises.

Looks pretty damn nice to me FA.

That's a a funny story BBP!

How different are we all, as what you describe sounds great to me! Lobstering at 5 am....yeah, let's go! (then I am a bit of a hunter-gatherer!)

Yeah. Lobstering is great the first few times you go. But you have to bait the traps with rotten fish - the rottener the better - so that takes away some of the thrill of your pre breakfast adventure.

I learned to fish though. Me and my dad caught about 300 bluefish once in one tide. That was fun.

Last year my 89 yr old mom fell into the drink trying to get into the boat with her groceries. They had to drag her out by the scruff of her scarf. :rolleyes:

I've been to Portsmouth and further west to Cornwall. I've also seen TV shows about the tides there and the castle. I have a strong interest in the UK, especially the history, because essentially it's our history too.

Is the stink you described to do with seaweed? Or is it mud? Both can get a bit pongy!

You've doen a good job of painting me a picture here and I enjoyed your post thanks.

Thanks for making me think of it. I have been taking it for granted for a long while.

The smell: I've always assumed it is the decay of micro-organisms left high & dry on rocks. There is certainly a seaweed sort of smell in the mix, but the rest could be coming from the very silt like mud which I am sure is rich with life (bacteria maybe?)

Its a slightly different smell in Devon & Cornwall. The winding coastal roads can veer quite a way inland but the sea smell gives away the proximity of the coast usually before you can see it.

Yeah. Lobstering is great the first few times you go. But you have to bait the traps with rotten fish - the rottener the better - so that takes away some of the thrill of your pre breakfast adventure.

I learned to fish though. Me and my dad caught about 300 bluefish once in one tide. That was fun.

Last year my 89 yr old mom fell into the drink trying to get into the boat with her groceries. They had to drag her out by the scruff of her scarf. :rolleyes:

I'm cool with handling smelly bait and lobster for brekky sounds very decadent to me!!

Bluefish are called Tailor here and I've caught a few of them myself, though nowhere near 300.

Mum going in the drink at that age would have been scary for her, and for you....Yikes!

Called Taylor blues...on the east coast of U S...caught many. Caught many Red Drum,croaker,spot,pompano,trout,stripers.blow toads,skates,etc.

The whole Coastal thing, is lost on me.

I don't like sand...

Sad really...iI live less than a 1/4 mile from the ocean...I like boat fishing or fresh water bank fishing best.

Called Taylor blues...on the east coast of U S...caught many. Caught many Red Drum,croaker,spot,pompano,trout,stripers.blow toads,skates,etc.

The whole Coastal thing, is lost on me.

I don't like sand...

Sad really...iI live less than a 1/4 mile from the ocean...I like boat fishing or fresh water bank fishing best.

You get Tailor much bigger than we usually get here, exception being out far NW coast! Fair enough not likeing the coast, more room for those that do....Grin~

EaglePoint003.jpg

I lived in Ft Laud Fl. from the time I was 6 till I was 23. We lived out near 27 in the swamp. I went to the beach about 10 times the whole time I lived there. I can't say I miss it at all or ever cared for it to start with.

I DO miss good sea food though.

I grew up going to my friend's cottage in Canada (Crystal Beach). That was a lot of fun. When we moved to MD we liked being close to the water. Then we really knew what we were missing when we moved to the middle of Texas. Now that we are back in the north, we built a cottage on Lake Erie. I just love being there in the summer. The lake gets very warm. Plus we face west, so we get some really beautiful sunsets.

IMAG0465_zps9877d102.jpg

Thanks. I stink at taking pictures. I've got 100s of sunset pictures to make up for it though!

It's just such a blast there. We have bonfires on the beach at night too. Our neighbor converted one his sheds into a Tiki bar. [thumbup]