Gibson Brands Forums

Mid 60s Gibson bridge pins

What style bridge pins would have been used by Gibson on my 1965 Epiphone Texan? It has plastic pins with a small black dots, and at least two are different size dots.

Best I can recall, plain white plastic just like you'd have found on a Gibson J-50.

I'd suggest replacing them with bone or wooden bridge pins rather than plastic ones. No one in the vintage guitar world is concerned with vintage guitars having exact replicas of bridge pins...especially the cheap .10 a piece ones that they originally came with. Bone or wooden pins will help the sound of the guitar while plastic ones...well they are plastic ones. Some people thing none of them make any difference although I hear a slight nuance of bone or wood pins. Plastic??

Plastic pins won't help the resale value either although neither will bone or wooden ones. Or tusq ones either. Cheap original Bridge pins can always and usually are just simply replaced.

Just food for thought

I'd suggest replacing them with bone or wooden bridge pins rather than plastic ones. No one in the vintage guitar world is concerned with vintage guitars having exact replicas of bridge pins...especially the cheap .10 a piece ones that they originally came with. Bone or wooden pins will help the sound of the guitar while plastic ones...well they are plastic ones. Some people thing none of them make any difference although I hear a slight nuance of bone or wood pins. Plastic??

Plastic pins won't help the resale value either although neither will bone or wooden ones. Or tusq ones either. Cheap original Bridge pins can always and usually are just simply replaced.

Just food for thought

Pins usually turn into a matter of visual and/or auditory aesthetics, especially on players-grade guitars. Guess someone who just wanted an investment grade instrument might feel differently, but I play the damn things.

It's your call...I just offered a different perspective as input for your decision making. I have met some players who think their guitar's value will drop if they put in different pins and I didn't want you mistakenly going down that road. Only good intentions and, of course, what ever you choose will be great if it works for you.

It's your call...I just offered a different perspective as input for your decision making. I have met some players who think their guitar's value will drop if they put in different pins and I didn't want you mistakenly going down that road. Only good intentions and, of course, what ever you choose will be great if it works for you.

I was just curious as to what was original. I usually replace with bone on all my guitars, but if original was white with a black dot I'd get a bone set like that. The guitar is a keeper so I'm only pleasing me. The mismatched pins that came in it were plastic and two broke off the first restring, so now I have some ebony pins on it. The endpin is white with a black dot, so maybe I'll go that route.