Gibson Brands Forums

Realistic view on Gibson's 2016 line up (and a hope for 2017)

norcalpiper

So were are well into 2016 at this point, and the furor over 2015 disastrous year subsided, I wanted to review the 2016 lineup.

First foremost, the idea of a "traditional" line , and "high performance" is really the big deal and rightfully so. Every player can now suit their playing needs with one or the other. Gibson found a great balance.

The best aspect of 2016 are the Les Paul Lineup and the Firebird. I dont think Ive ever seen such a great choice selection from low to top tier ever. Great colors, great finishes, really a great time to buy a Les Paul. 2016 will be a banner year for the LP!

The 2016 Firebird.......at 1k.....Need I say more? Brilliant!

Now comes the bad. The SG line was cheated this year. It seems that all the leftover wood cuts from 2012 were rehashed and put in the line. I almost feel like there was going to be this great selection, but all the SGs were in a warehouse and the warehouse burned down. In desperation, they just rehashed 2012 models. Even the SG special is identicle to the 2012 year.....its really disappointing. SGs are fantastic, iconic giitars that deserve just as much attention as LP. 2013 saw a really great year for SGs with the different tribute models, along with the standards..

Another downer is the Les Paul Junior. Its a limited edition and looks more like a 2014 melody maker with the 2 pick ups (p90s). Its priced in at 1200$ with no case.....I was really hoping to see the Junior line come in strong this year. I'm hoping next year will see its return.d

The other mentions Flying V, Explorer seem pretty good. The Les Paul Special ES looks like an awesome guitar, but I havent played it yet, and a hollow body les paul seems........i dont know, but i want to try it. It looks beautiful though.

Now.....What I want to see for 2017 is an expansion of the "single pickup" line. I played a LP CM with single pickup and it was phenomenal. I'd like to see a single humbucker firebird, SG, Les Paul, etc. I know juniors are this way, but I'd like to see normal design and finishes of the guitars as they would be with 2. For example, offer the SG Standard with normal 2, or 1 humbucker. Same with Firebird, or any of the Les Paul models.

What would you like to see?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.Return to 2015 specs.

2.Offer Richlite boards on more than just the most expensive models.

3.Replace the easy snap necks with something scarfed or laminated.

(This is why Gibson should always ignore this forum)

Yes, SG's were the disappointment, in the line, for me, as well. :-k[unsure]

The "Traditional" SHOULD have had the early '60's beveling, and

horn tapering. Instead, they went back to pre 2013 spec's.

The "High Performance" does have the better beveling and horn tapers,

but an odd placement of the strap button. And, WHY would Gibson choose

two different beveling and horn tapering/non-horn tapered body spec's.

That seems oddly counter productive/confusing, to me. But then, I'm a

bit "fanatic" about my love=preference for early '60's SG spec's!

Since I got my SG's, from the 2013 line, my Les Paul's seem to spend

a lot more time, in their cases! [blush][crying] Which is kinda Sad, really. But,

the SG's weight, upper fret access, looks and sound, just seem to

"do it," for me. [thumbup]

CB

It will be interesting to see what they do. The brand will survive. Quality seems to be great. Maybe they'll (be allowed to?) start using ebony again. I'm not sure if people want ebony any more, but Gibson doesn't seem to have a choice right now.

I think they took too many unnecessary chances here in the last few years, both in terms of their vision and their operations. I hope they can get the business side of things back on track. If they can't somebody else will eventually.

[thumbup]

Are you guys being facetious or do you really like the richlite?? I am not a big fan.

I love it. It looks better and plays better than just about anything else there is. My fretless PJ bass is Richlite and sounds amazing. It's been used on hi end basses since the 80s . I also have a 5 string and a 4 string with Richlite boards. Fantastic.

I like the Torrefied ("baked") maple fingerboards, as well. Especially, the darker versions.

They play, sound, and often look quite a bit like "ebony," to me.

I wonder if the thought of what Richlite is, has more bearing on what some people object to,

than the actual sound or feel of it? [tongue] "Traditionalist" are a stubborn lot! [biggrin]

CB

Yeah the 2016 line up has been really good I think too. Gives everyone the choice that was sadly lacking for the 2015 line up....

And really from here its hard to see what they will do next.. Will they continue both line ups? Will we get some hybrid model?

Who knows..

Id personally like to see them use more varying and interesting woods... So how about a Rosewood LP/SG (ok that WOULD be expensive) or more of those Swamp Ash models, I would expect to pay less or the same for that as usual models cos its a cheaper wood for instance.. More Zebrawood LPs (they have done some of those in the past).. And not make them Ltd Edition and thus stupidly expensive, make them a similar price as the normal ones (well maybe slightly more for the posh wood).. I don't want to be charged like £1000/£2000 extra just cos it has different wood, the construction is no different no matter what wood they use.. Maybe a few hundred extra sure, id understand that... But make it a more normal part of the line up.

Im not sure what else they can do.. They made soooo many changes in the 2015 line up that its like they blew their load all at once...

Hello.

I agree with Charlie. Baked maple is great. If sustainabililty matters, they should use it more. It's cheap, available locally. Dye it black, and it's a perfect substitute for ebony.

Bence.

1.Return to 2015 specs.

2.Offer Richlite boards on more than just the most expensive models.

3.Replace the easy snap necks with something scarfed or laminated.

(This is why Gibson should always ignore this forum)

I don't know if I would want a scarfed neck, but this ain't as stupid as it sounds.

I would kinda like to see the 3 piece (or even 2 piece) necks on some things. Maybe even a pancake body including the maple strip between them.

But that's also, again, something I'm not sure I would want to pay for. I wouldn't expect the price to be the same.

Id personally like to see them use more varying and interesting woods... So how about a Rosewood LP/SG or more of those Swamp Ash models.. More Zebrawood LPs (they have done some of those in the past).. And not make them Ltd Edition and thus stupidly expensive, make them a similar price as the normal ones (well maybe slightly more for the posh wood).. I don't want to be charged like £1000/£2000 extra just cos it has different wood, the construction is no different no matter what wood they use.. Maybe a few hundred extra sure, id understand that... But make it a more normal part of the line up.

They did try, mid-late 90's. Smartwood they called them. They were basically Studios made of different woods, Zebra, Banana, Copacopellio or some such. Gold hardware I seem to remember. Thinner bodied than a normal Les Paul. Overall, felt cheap. I think they were a hundred or two less than a regular Studio.

They just didn't move. I don't think guitar players in general can support such a line.

rct

They did try, mid-late 90's. Smartwood they called them. They were basically Studios made of different woods, Zebra, Banana, Copacopellio or some such. Gold hardware I seem to remember. Thinner bodied than a normal Les Paul. Overall, felt cheap. I think they were a hundred or two less than a regular Studio.

They just didn't move. I don't think guitar players in general can support such a line.

rct

That far back, I remember a couple smartwoods I was interested in and they were WAY more money. Didn't make sense to me to pay more for what looked like a plainer looking guitar.

Could very well be, too, that they sat on the shelves a long time, and dealers finally let them go.

Have seem some more modern ones retail on the cheaper side, though.

I just think they are so much more interesting.. I mean I love the classic maple top look, but whats not to like about this (ok well maybe its not for everyone but I like it :))

gibson-les-paul-classic-antique-zebrawood-80218_zps5szgwvw8.jpg

And this.. Even though this is a bigger departure than the one above as theres no mahogany involved

LPSA16NSCH3_MAIN_HERO_01_zpsm5z6faqd.jpg

I like the Torrefied ("baked") maple fingerboards, as well. Especially, the darker versions.

They play, sound, and often look quit a bit like "ebony," to me.

I wonder if the thought of what Richlite is, has more bearing on what some people object to,

than the actual sound or feel of it? [tongue] "Traditionalist" are a stubborn lot! [biggrin]

CB

Good point, I kinda get that way on some things but I am still really new at guitar and on some things I am still finding my way. Fretboard material though I am not set yet on a specific type of wood or woods I just seem to think that the richlite is harder to play when bending or sliding, but just my opinion. The guitar I have richlite on is a low end Martin and actually sounds very nice for a cheaper guitar, fretboard just seems a little sticky.

Rabs,

I had one of those Zebrawood Les Paul Classics, that was a really nice guitar.

Great for the people who like Richlite but I'm not buying an ebony substitute when there's thousands of used models with the real thing available.

Rabs,

I had one of those Zebrawood Les Paul Classics, that was a really nice guitar.

Great for the people who like Richlite but I'm not buying an ebony substitute when there's thousands of used models with the real thing available.

I haven't really made my mind up on Richlite.. The one and only board I tried with it I didn't like... It left black marks on my fingers and didn't feel very smooth for bending...

BUT many people on here whos opinion I trust say it is a good material.. As long as it works I don't mind... I don't think it would be the deciding factor for me anyway...

Id prefer a comeback of baked maple though, I had a firebird with a BM board and thought it was an excellent material. And pure black ebony is going to get harder and harder to find.. (im sure they use it for aesthetic reasons) so some kind of replacement is needed.

Id prefer a comeback of baked maple though, I had a firebird with a BM board and thought it was an excellent material. And pure black ebony is going to get harder and harder to find.. (im sure they use it for aesthetic reasons) so some kind of replacement is needed.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

CB

And pure black ebony is going to get harder and harder to find.. (im sure they use it for aesthetic reasons) so some kind of replacement is needed.

Pure black ebony hasn't been available for a long time now. What ebony there is these days is streaked with gray and white. It all has to be dyed black.

Pure black ebony hasn't been available for a long time now. What ebony there is these days is streaked with gray and white. It all has to be dyed black.

Well maybe not in big quantities a company like Gibson would need.. But you can still get it here and there....

And indeed since ive been building it changed... A few years ago when I first started I could get jet black ebony (not dyed) boards (as can be seen on some of my guitars :)).. And now from that same supplier, he only has some with streaks in it...

One thing for sure, is ALL woods available are changing.

If one wanted to be totally anal and "authentic", NONE of the woods used on vintage guitars or the original designs are the same. Woods of the same name and species aren't all from the same sources, and thus, not the same. Not all Hog is the same, not all Rosewood is, etc.

Unfortunately, it gets confusing because "availability" is at least as much regulation as it is how much exist and is available. Affordable and available woods get used somewhere, regardless of what some say is responsible or not.

We can buy Mahogany and Rosewood and Maple and Spruce all day long. But good luck if you want Brazilian, Honduras, (genuine) Adirondack, etc. So we've all seen it.

Eventually, IF we keep going the direction we are, there will be no wood hardly at all. That's just a population thing. But that isn't now, or the near future. That's just when there isn't enough land for trees. Kinda like, duh.

Just don't appreciate when we are told using this wood or that wood is making a difference to the planet, or told it is making things extinct when it's hundreds of years from now and there are millions of good guitars to be built between now and then.

Archived