Gibson Brands Forums

Realistic view on Gibson's 2016 line up (and a hope for 2017)

norcalpiper

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ebony there is these days is streaked with gray and white. It all has to be dyed black.

Bring it on. And why does it have to be dyed? I'm ok with streaks.

What's wrong with seeing a grain? I love seeing the wood. And if it feels the same as my current ebony board

I'll love it.

Same thing for the baked maple stuff. I will never dye mine. I like how it looks and it plays real nice.

1458009880[/url]' post='1751418']

What's wrong with seeing a grain? I love seeing the wood. And if it feels the same as my current ebony board

I'll love it.

Same thing for the baked maple stuff. I will never dye mine. I like how it looks and it plays real nice.

That's what I was going to say. I'd love to see one done? I love Ebony. I used to collect chess sets and have many. My favorite is a solid Ebony, 4" King Tournament set, forget what the white side was. Most come with Rosewood but their a coffee cream color, maybe Ash, A gorgeous hand made expensive set I ordered out of Germany when I used to play in tournaments. Guess I'd just like to see Gibson prices drop some so folks like me on a fixed income now could buy more but that will never happen, Lol msp_flapper.gif

That's what I was going to say. I'd love to see one done? I love Ebony. I used to collect chess sets and have many. My favorite is a solid Ebony, 4" King Tournament set, forget what the white side was. Most come with Rosewood but their a coffee cream color, maybe Ash, A gorgeous hand made expensive set I ordered out of Germany when I used to play in tournaments. Guess I'd just like to see Gibson prices drop some so folks like me on a fixed income now could buy more but that will never happen, Lol msp_flapper.gif

I'd like to see EVERYTHING drop in prices. It's ALL up, man, except, surprisingly, the price of gas. Which is really still up, just down a bit from up higher.

I just play chess on the computer, still on level one. It makes me feel smart to play chess.

It has to be dyed so that it looks like black plastic. If Gibson put out guitars with gray and black streaked fingerboards and tried to call it ebony the interwebs would loose it's tiny little collective mind.

"Have you seen what Gibson is trying to pass off as Ebony? I hate Henry and is cost cutting innovations!!"

Better to use Richlite. Superior color. Superior wear resistance. Impervious to humidity changes. Does not produce dead notes.

What's not to love?

It has to be dyed so that it looks like black plastic. If Gibson put out guitars with gray and black streaked fingerboards and tried to call it ebony the interwebs would loose it's tiny little collective mind.

"Have you seen what Gibson is trying to pass off as Ebony? I have Henry and is cost cutting innovations!!"

Better to use Richlite. Superior color. Superior wear resistance. Impervious to humidity changes. Does not produce deed notes.

What's not to love?

So long as the plastic binding has nibs, I'm happy.

But if it's Rosewood, I prefer pearloid markers to real MOP.

Guess I'm weird that way.

So long as the plastic binding has nibs, I'm happy.

But if it's Rosewood, I prefer pearloid markers to real MOP.

Guess I'm weird that way.

Don't ya wonder why people are just as resistant to the idea of plastic fingerboards as they are to the idea of non plastic nuts and fret ends?

Hmmmmm... :-k

Don't ya wonder why people are just as resistant to the idea of plastic fingerboards as they are to the idea of non plastic nuts and fret ends?

Hmmmmm... :-k

I don't know. I just thought it was funny that the LP Custom, ironically, has the most plastic and least amount of actual fingerbaord of any model.

Two things I notice, care about, for a fingerbaord is how it feels, and how it sounds.

What DOES richlite sound like? compared to ebony? Maple? Rosewood?

Uhm..ok.

So the fingerboard material also does affect the sound?

I only have rosewood boards right now, how or what would change in the amplified sigmal (clean) if I would change the board on my Traditional from rosewood to ebony, maple or richlite?

And why does it affect, is it becase of density? Different vibrations of the neck?

Uhm..ok.

I only have rosewood boards right now, how or what would change in the amplified sigmal (clean) if I would change the board on my Traditional from rosewood to ebony, maple or richlite?

And why does it affect, is it becase of density? Different vibrations of the neck?

Next time I'm in a venue with more than...oh, three seats and I have the volume at slightly more than, oh, I don't know, 1, and the drummer gets going and the keys are up where they should be and the singer is caterwauling all over I'll check.

rct

Uhm..ok.

Richlite is isotropic, so it vibrates in all directions equally. Wood is stiffer in one direction, parallel to the grain, so it vibrates in the same direction as the neck wood, which is perpendicular to the frets. I don't know whether or not that has a substantial effect on the sound, but wood will transmit more vibration from the frets than Richlite.

It kind of works like a bridge deck, where the cross beams work like the frets, holding the deck and transferring the load to the longitudinal stringers, which act like the neck. If you used a piece of plywood for a bridge deck, half of the plies would be going in a useless direction. If you used a board of the same thickness, all the wood would be oriented in a useful direction and would be much stiffer.

Richlite has the same stiffness in all directions, so it doesn't vibrate much. I don't know whether or not it makes much difference, but that's why I don't like the idea. Not to mention that it'll probably effect the resale value. Not to mention that they probably wouldn't be using it if they hadn't...

I'll love it.

I am regularly purchasing Ebony for knife handles, gun stocks, and Grips, and some of the things I do with my business. But I can tell you, there is plenty of good Ebony to be had if you have good connections, but it is high priced. And the difference between ebony and rosewood in terms of density and hardness is almost neglegable. But just like my knife and gun customers, guitar guys are very exacting in what they want.

Next time I'm in a venue with more than...oh, three seats and I have the volume at slightly more than, oh, I don't know, 1, and the drummer gets going and the keys are up where they should be and the singer is caterwauling all over I'll check.

rct

msp_lol.gif

Thank's bro, do that!

If something is supeerior to my ol' nasty rozewood I may rip that crap from my geetarz and replace it with some REAL tone-thing!

Ey wait amigo! Just had THE idea, Richlite Cases!!!

Seriously, that would be an awesome material for a case, no?

Richlite is isotropic, so it vibrates in all directions equally. Wood is stiffer in one direction, parallel to the grain, so it vibrates in the same direction as the neck wood, which is perpendicular to the frets. I don't know whether or not that has a substantial effect on the sound, but wood will transmit more vibration from the frets than Richlite.

It kind of works like a bridge deck, where the cross beams work like the frets, holding the deck and transferring the load to the longitudinal stringers, which act like the neck. If you used a piece of plywood for a bridge deck, half of the plies would be going in a useless direction. If you used a board of the same thickness, all the wood would be oriented in a useful direction and would be much stiffer.

Richlite has the same stiffness in all directions, so it doesn't vibrate much. I don't know whether or not it makes much difference, but that's why I don't like the idea. Not to mention that it'll probably effect the resale value. Not to mention that they probably wouldn't be using it if they hadn't...

That's really interessting BBP, thank's a lot!

Uhm..ok.

The reason that you see Richlite used on bases so much is to combat the issues of wolf tones and dead notes. The ability to play bass notes with even tone, sustain and volume are the Essence of groove. On bass guitars and on fretless bass guitars in particular it is not unheard of to have a single note on the instrument that is either much much quieter or much much louder than all the rest. if it's quieter we call these dead notes. If it's louder we call them Wolf tones. Traditionally these issues are solved by either using Rivhlite or carbon fiber fingerboards or by inlaying carbon fiber rods inside the neck along either side of the truss rod.

Works like a dream.

The reason that you see Richlite used on bases so much is to combat the issues of wolf tones and dead notes. The ability to play bass notes with even tone, sustain and volume are the Essence of groove. On bass guitars and on fretless bass guitars in particular it is not unheard of to have a single note on the instrument that is either much much quieter or much much louder than all the rest. if it's quieter we call these dead notes. If it's louder we call them Wolf tones. Traditionally these issues are solved by either using Rivhlite or carbon fiber fingerboards or by inlaying carbon fiber rods inside the neck along either side of the truss rod.

Works like a dream.

Wow!

Thanks to you too Searcy, this is the reason why I love this place!

I'll love it.

I concur.

Torrefied Maple is great.

I dont have a Richlite model, but its supposed to be similar in composition to Hagstrom's Resinator, and that is an ideal fingerboard material (like Richlite it guarantees zero wolf tones).

I think maybe Gibson just make too many guitars to be able to use Ebony anymore. The last new ebony fretboard guitar I bought was in 2015, a Hofner J17. It also has ebony pickguard and tailpiece cover.

At any rate, there seem to be a lot of us here that prefer the alternatives to rosewood.

What would you like to see?

Me?

Ok.

A Double Cutaway Les Paul Less Plus (the real slender 2015 model).

It should be HP spec. 3 piece Maple neck with a torrefied maple fingerboard. No fret inlays.

A plain wood finish please, because I am now fed up with the ubiquitous ‘flame’ finish.

Pups can be either P90 or coil tapped 57 classics.

And If Gibson make this I’ll drop my kecks & show my a** on the town hall steps.

I thought everyone was hip these days, cause of the interwebs.

Maple vs rosewood on Fenders, rosewood vs Ebony on Gibsons.

As for Fenders, by reputation, maple is brighter than Rosewood. I kinda concur. But to me, it's more a clarity, more mid to upper midrangy. BUT- sometimes, a rosewood board will act brighter through an amp, cause the treble is more peaky.

Between rosewood and ebony, I think mostly the acoustic guys say rosewood is brighter, while sometimes electric guys say ebony is. I think rosewood definitely has a brighter tone, more overtones and more "woody". Ebony to me sounds more smooth, more even. More "solid"?

Anyway, it's hard to judge on a single guitar. Takes a while and a few guitars to be able to really know the difference, but it's there.

With all the talk of richlite, (not to mention the other woods Gibson has been using), it's surprising to me the SOUND doesn't seem to be talked about at all.

With all the talk of richlite, (not to mention the other woods Gibson has been using), it's surprising to me the SOUND doesn't seem to be talked about at all.

Because the SOUND matters only in a petri dish inside a complete vacuum in the dark, where nobody lives. These differences mean absolutely nothing where and when guitars are used for what they were intended to be used for.

Leo only put rosewood on them because guitar players were quite simply used to it and some recoiled at that bright looking maple board. Some, mind you. Most didn't care then, and without the internet upon which to hang hours of comparison videos to pump out of your Beatz Speekurz nobody would care today.

rct

Interesting take, might be on to something. But I wouldn't stop there, either.

Gotta also take into account overall stiffness, and weight, too. (or rather, density). If, say, richlite is stiffer than ebony, then it has a potential to transfer more vibrations, and if it does that while canceling out others, then definitely I would expect a different sound.

But I don't know if "isotropic" is a bad thing. It isn't the same as plywood. All directions at once doesn't really equate to ply where its single direction at a time.

I'll love it.

Yeah me too.. I actually like Ebony when it has grey streaks, looks cool.. But I guess it doesn't suit the look Gibson are going for (or maybe just what they are known for)...

Heres a pic I found of one of the first Ebony boards I got about 3 years ago, jet black, one of the nicest bits of wood ive ever seen.. You don't get that much any more.... All the Ebony I get now has brown streaks in it, but it don't bother me and if anyone complains about it to me they will get a slap :)

DSC02840_zpsao8s3xpi.jpg

And just to post it again cos everyone should watch this.. If you haven't seen it check this vid out

Archived