Gibson Brands Forums

Realistic view on Gibson's 2016 line up (and a hope for 2017)

norcalpiper

This was before or after the fried chicken?

[biggrin]

If Fried Chicken was involved, I would likely have napped instead.

But good point- between ebony and richlite, I would reach for the richlite if I had greasy paws.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if ya'll can't tell, been bored today. So I went to a GC, to check out some richlite.

They had one LP Custom in a case, didn't feel like bothering. 4700 bones American. LOOKED like maybe richlite. Didn't say.

Only richlite I could paw was on a few Martins in the acoustic room. Not models I could recognize, kinda Taylor like. Didn't have any of the same with different boards of similar models to really compare. So I first checked out the feel. Very smooth, felt like plastic. But then, so does ebony. I could barely tell the difference between the richlite and another ebony Board, but I thought I could. If I didn't know what it was, I could problably guess, and be right most of the time, but not all the time.

Frets were rough, so I couldn't really tell if it was sticky or slick, but really, it slid on the fingers like finely polished ebony.

Tone wise, the Martins were REALLY bright, almost Taylor like. Like I said, they were weird models to me, with cutaways, no idea what bracing, so in other words, no basis for what they SHOULD sound like. No clue.

One thing I DID notice, was rubbing my finger across the board, I could HEAR it quite loud. Can get that from other acoustics with other fretboard woods, but the richlite seemed to be the loudest and highest in pitch. Got the impression it was really resonant, and perhaps really light in weight. Haven't thought of that for a test, but was easy to notice on the acoustics.

I am guessing it is very resonant, maybe the most so, and also, on the bright side. Still, I'm curious.

I find that the sound of artificial fingerboards on electric solid bodies can be misleading. They are very bright, and that does not tend to carry forward when amplified.

I find that the sound of artificial fingerboards on electric solid bodies can be misleading. They are very bright, and that does not tend to carry forward when amplified.

What others are there?

Is it mostly richlite? I heard another called micarta, I THINK it's a synthetic, but mot sure where I seen it on.

But either way, you tried or remember trying a richlite?

If Fried Chicken was involved, I would likely have napped instead.

But good point- between ebony and richlite, I would reach for the richlite if I had greasy paws.

Gibson needs to sell a little Formula 409 bottle - like 2 inches tall- with the Guitar Care 3 Pack. [laugh]

I tried some Martin acoustics with Richlite too and they played nice but the guitars were kind of low-end.

What others are there?

Is it mostly richlite? I heard another called micarta, I THINK it's a synthetic, but mot sure where I seen it on.

But either way, you tried or remember trying a richlite?

Yes I sure I heard of Martins using micarta. It certainly has been used for fretboards.

ebonal is another. I have played a bass with this type of material. Liked it.

Ritchlite is used for all sorts of purposes. I dont think it was specifically made for finger boards. I cant say for certain that I have tried it. I may well have done because I tried out a good many Gibsons last year.

I have a guitar with 'resinator' fretboard. It was developed for Hagstrom guitars & used on all of them, including the European made Northen series.

Archived