Gibson Brands Forums

Spilt beer on my LP

Liam Brightman

A friend of mine repairs musical equipment for a living, mostly tube amps.

One time about 25 years ago, a lady brought in a shorted out keyboard. High end one too. Apparently, she always stored it on a shelf, under the shelf where she kept her cat's litter box. Seriously.

It's a Coke or Pepsi that is REALLY corrosive to wiring & electronics. I've seen those just eat up a circuit board to ruination.

If it were me, and being somewhat anal about things, I'd have to take off the PUP and wash it with some benign solvent. Maybe a dip in HOT water, blow it dry with compressed air, and then a bath of WD-40 (water displace-40th attempt). When the WD-40 evaporates it would be free of any gummy stuff from the beer.

Just call me Mister careful.

Aster

It's a Coke or Pepsi that is REALLY corrosive to wiring & electronics. I've seen those just eat up a circuit board to ruination.

If it were me, and being somewhat anal about things, I'd have to take off the PUP and wash it with some benign solvent. Maybe a dip in HOT water, blow it dry with compressed air, and then a bath of WD-40 (water displace-40th attempt). When the WD-40 evaporates it would be free of any gummy stuff from the beer.

Just call me Mister careful.

Aster

WD?

Not good my good friend. WD-40 is magic for a lot of things, but it DOES leave a film, and it ain't a good one. Get's sticky, too.

I guess for a guitar it ain't the end of the world, but generally, for electronics, it's one of the worst things you could use. I certainly wouldn't let it touch my prized pickups, that's for sure.

So I was playing a gig Saturday night and spilt beer on my Gibson Les Paul Traditional. I'm not sure if it went into the neck pickup, however it seems to be fine so I was wondering what would happen if you did spill beer into the pickup? Thanks

Great!

So I assume it's on it's way to become naturally relic'ed?

Like most guys pay extra for.

Guest Farnsbarns

WD?

Not good my good friend. WD-40 is magic for a lot of things, but it DOES leave a film, and it ain't a good one. Get's sticky, too.

I guess for a guitar it ain't the end of the world, but generally, for electronics, it's one of the worst things you could use. I certainly wouldn't let it touch my prized pickups, that's for sure.

And the film is conductive.

Any solvent you introduce into the pickup is likely to be far more damaging than the beer that's in there.

I'd be more worried about the beer damaging the finish than the pickups.

Don't fix what ain't Broke.

and no one has asked... What Kind Of Beer?????????????

this is important, for example.. Budwiser, oh the horrors, or a finely crafted IPA? for God's sake, if you're gonna do this, do it with some finesse!

[biggrin]

Just kidding, so where exactly did this tragedy take place on the instrument?

neck? Body, control cavity?

there's really not a lot you can do other than if things get "Sticky" at some point you may need to get a good electronic component cleaner, or maybe just some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip to get into cracks and cranny's of some the pots/switches...

one of my band mates dumped what I believe was an entire can of beer on a "HIS" Roland 18 track VS1880 work station.

We just shut it off, and turned it up side down over night, and it was mostly none the worse for wear, but eventually a few of the buttons didn't quite work so well till we got it apart and tried to clean it up a bit.

it still works to this day.

It was Coors light haha

Oh man. Light American beer. We wash cars with that stuff up here..lol.

Kidding,,, kidding. Hey, I like strong beer.

Ya as already said. I wouldn't worry. I have had an assortment of spills over the years.

Strong beers [lol] rum and coke, red wine. And likely very heavy smoke damage.

It's fine.

Archived