Gibson Brands Forums

SG strings from factory

StrutteR

The strings on my SG need to be changed. I just wanted to know what gauge strings come on these guitars from factory. My guitar was setup with the string that came on it and i have a pack of 10gauge strings. Just want to make sure they are 10s before i change them, if not i will just take it to a shop and have them do it.

The strings on my SG need to be changed. I just wanted to know what gauge strings come on these guitars from factory. My guitar was setup with the string that came on it and i have a pack of 10gauge strings. Just want to make sure they are 10s before i change them' date=' if not i will just take it to a shop and have them do it.[/quote']

Just so you know.... you don't HAVE to use the exact same strings that came on the guitar. Plus taking it into a guitar shop everytime you change the strings would get to be a hassle. I put new ones on every 3-4 weeks or so.

Factory strings on most SG's nowadays are 10-46 gauge, and they feel the best (not too limp, not too stiff) to me, although sometimes I up 'em to 10-52 "Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom" Ernie Balls. If your guitar's set up well even if you were off a little on the gauges you're not gonna' mess anything up drastically. Yes, you SHOULD set the guitar according to string gauge but it's honestly something (IF it were a problem) you could learn to do yourself, saving not only the time but the cost most shops charge for a 1/8-turn of a truss rod and/or raising/lowering of the bridge (I am repulsed by what some shops charge for such little work).

Just get a set of standard 10's and see how she plays. Odds are you won't have to change a thing.

H-Bomb

Archived