Gibson Brands Forums

What's for breakfast,lunch, or dinner?

Mr. Gibson

Lunch was spaghetti  and a salad for dinner.  Forgot to take my morning Blood Pressure pill as I just noticed. Oh well,  I'm having my morning coffee now too at night. I gave Sundance his Heart Worm Pill for the month and must have had that on my mind.  When I just looked and saw I missed the B.P.P.  Deb was sitting in bed when I told her "Oh Oh, I forgot to take my Heart Worm Pill this morning,"  She started laughing in hysterics and told me to be careful telling that one to the Doctor this Friday or he will add Alzheimers pills to my list.  Yeah, I know..."Where do they get 'em and why do they keep 'em" Right?  

• 3 years later...

Nothing Earth shaking.

I add a dash of vanilla extract to French toast batter.  Also to pancake batter.  Along with 1 tablespoon of malt(to the pancake batter).

I'll sprinkle a light amount of nutmeg when frying pork loin chops.  I fry with non stick spray instead of oil.

occasionally a "touch" of garlic powder when scrambling eggs.

When making tuna salad for sandwiches I add a teaspoon or two of sweet relish, use miracle whip instead of mayo, and grind rosemary leaves in a pepper mill  into the mix.  

Your chicken marinade sounds interesting.  I'm going to have to figure out how to "pare" it down since there's only me and no need to soak  6 chicken breasts.  

Oh, and I don't bake or fry fish without a good shake of thyme leaves covering each side.  And instead of lemon juice I switch between that and malt vinegar.

Whitefang

• Like 1

I've missed this thread.

Recent culinary triumphs in my kitchen have included yummy Toad in the Hole and and a truly amazing dusted and fried lamb's liver with onion, bacon,  new potatoes and gravy.  

I've also been doing my usual salads but with extra herbs; quite large amounts of chopped chives, dill, mint all add much flavour and texture.  Parsley and basil too, but go easy on that Rosemary [wink]

This Sunday evening I just did scrambled egg, button mushrooms on toast with black back bacon. 

I hope to continue eating in the near future.[smile]  Pork fillet tomorrow night, any advice?

Edited by jdgm

19 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Here's one more tip - best home made burger I've ever had is the simple "Lea & Perrins Burger" recipe.   LINK

Sure.  I usually work in that Lea and Perrins when making meatloaf.  Another idea(from my Grandma) ....

most meatloafs are made with 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef with 1/2 pound of ground pork.  My Grandma would get a good 1/2 pound link of fresh kielbasa (Not the smoked) and slice the skin open and scoop the meat out and mix it in.  You could use variations like Italian sausage or Hungarian Kolbasz if you like.  I use oatmeal for the filler.

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

I've missed this thread.

Pork fillet tomorrow night, any advice?

The whole loin or cut into chops or medallions?

Whitefang

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

The whole loin or cut into chops or medallions?

Whitefang

I usually season it with salt/pepper/rosemary/flour then sear it and roast/bake for about 45 min.

Veggies, gravy and apple sauce.

Update - I forgot the rosemary and the flour but it was very good indeed, cooked just right.

😋

Edited by jdgm

17 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Well I'm definitely stealing that one.  Kielbasa is part of my regular rotation of meals.   

Just remember, it's the FRESH kielbasa.  And speaking of Polish cuisine, remember this Oct. 8th is National Pierogi day.  [thumbup]

Whitefangski

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Corned beef hash.

An under-rated dish.

Yeah.  Back when I could eat such things, I used to eat fried eggs with corned beef hash.  I'd lay the eggs over the hash and mix them into it.   I'd do the same with fried eggs and hash browns.

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Got the kids or grandkids for the weekend? Need a fun activity that feeds?

Applesauce

1.  Have the kiddos peel 4 apples.  If they're old enough, have them core the apples.  Otherwise you do it. 

2.  Have them cut the apples into cubes

3. Put apple pieces into a medium saucepan with 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar (adjust as needed) and 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

4.  Cover and cook on medium heat 20-25 minutes (until apples are soft and mashable)

5.  Have the kiddos mash the cooked apples

6.  Put it in a bowl and chill in the fridge (or eat it warm). 

My Grandmother would make her own applesauce.  Sounds like a fun "project" with the grandkids.  probably something they'll carry over to their own.  [smile]

My wife would similarly cook apple slices as a side with dinner sometimes.  Keep 'em sliced, no mashing.  And no added sugar(she was diabetic).  My Grandma didn't add sugar to her applesauce either.

Whitefang

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Tortillas/soft tacos for dinner. 

I didn't like tacos for the longest time.  It was those hard, crisp and crumbly corn tortillas that made them unpleasant for me.  But that was before I met my 2nd wife and discovered tacos can be made with flour tortillas, which I've never heard of until then.  Made a big difference, eating tacos that didn't break apart when biting into them and having the filling all fall in your lap. 

All I had so far today (typing this at 10:24 am EDT) was a sliced banana in a bowl of corn flakes. Have no idea what's for lunch or dinner.

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I didn't like tacos for the longest time.  It was those hard, crisp and crumbly corn tortillas that made them unpleasant for me.  But that was before I met my 2nd wife and discovered tacos can be made with flour tortillas, which I've never heard of until then.  Made a big difference, eating tacos that didn't break apart when biting into them and having the filling all fall in your lap. 

All I had so far today (typing this at 10:24 am EDT) was a sliced banana in a bowl of corn flakes. Have no idea what's for lunch or dinner.

Whitefang

I hear ya. I eat the taco shells separately when I have tacos. I like to eat my food, not drop it! 

• Like 1

My menu today started with pancakes I cooked a week ago and stored in a zip lock and nuked this morning.  With two turkey sausage patties.  Lunch will be a turkey sandwich with Muenster cheese and honey mustard.  A generous pinch of lightly salted potato chips and two or three sweet gherkins.

Dinner is a boneless pork loin with a baked potato and cut green beans.  Salad beforehand with Catalina dressing.

Dessert yet to be determined.

Whitefang

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sometimes I do eat something so good it needs to be shared...

Tonight I got a take away from the local Thai place. Its so good my friend who lived in Thailand for over a decade took his Thai wife there for dinner and even she was impressed.. Been going to this place for about a decade now. Always good..

Tonight I got, spicy honey fried chicken wings with some Thai Dim Sum (the dumplings) and some Som Tum Thai which is a papaya salad and the national dish of Thailand..  And it was all so so good.

UDnACMd.jpg

• Like 2