Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird quilt question..

slimt

I have a Quilt maple I hang onto just because I like the tone. There are those who would feel it's not a real Hummingbird if it's not a hog, and I see that point for sure.. Thought you might want to consider that. I hope you would be in a position to play a Quilt before you purchase since it is a different wood than the classic Hummingbird, and it may not be the sound you want. Whats your situation on getting to play first?

Here's a demo.Maple in general just brings out the fundamental of a note or chord and then decays:

Hall and I are maple lovers so we know what we are in for.

A normal hog bird has more overtones the quilts have more application if you have a playing style where you need separation in the notes or need them to sound distinct and precise

JC

I have done a lot of research about hummingbirds. I have read about the different woods (called tone woods). In all my travels, for a hummingbird the majority prefer the mahogany sound. I haven't seen any reviews about the quilt. My personal opinion is if the quilt was something more than our classics, there would be a waiting list. I don't know, just a little info. I'm curious too.

I passed on a beautiful used one a while ago in a local shop. As nice as it looked and played (and the price was great), I didn't buy it. Sounded just like a Dove, which isn't a bad thing, just a little too crisp for me. Glad I waited till I found my HB Vintage. [biggrin]

Archived