Gibson Brands Forums

IB Texan Too Bright, Too Brittle

Leonard McCoy

Sell it! You obviously aren't enthused about it's tone, and balance! They are reasonably priced, and you can probably find another one, that has all the missing tonal, and balance properties. Did you check out several "Texans" when you bought yours, or did you get it from an on-line dealer? I would never buy an acoustic (and very seldom an electric) guitar from an on-line dealer, due to not being able to try out several of the same model, in order to find the "right" one. But, that's just Me! [biggrin]

While I agree with your general sentiment of "try it, THEN buy it," frankly, leftys don't have the luxury of doing so, otherwise I certainly would indulge in such good, healthy purchasing practices. The selection of guitars available to southpaw players is so extremely limited that we're forced to buy rather blind and almost exclusively online.

I also don't think my Texan to be a dud. It's technically a very competent instrument that easily surpasses Epiphone's past work in terms of build quality and materials used, especially if I compare her to my other, 15-year-old Epiphone acoustic. I will play her more in the next days and report back with a few recordings if I can.

As I was recording a few audio samples with the Texan, I started noticing a considerable buzzing coming from the pickup, occurring only with this guitar and getting worse and worse.

I have since contacted the retailer and for now she's going back to get repaired. It seems the pickup itself, input jack or both are at fault here.

Not my luckiest guitar pick indeed!

I wonder if what you are describing as bright sounding may actually be that the guitar's EQ is more on the treble side and that the guitar lacks the bass spectrum of say a Gibson J45 or some other guitars. Every guitar has its own EQ and some are bassier, some are middle range, and some are more in the treble range. I have noticed some Epiphones lack the bass thump of some Gibsons, but sound pretty darn good with their mid or treble range 'bright' sound that can cut through Martins at a jam.

That EQ can't be modified as its in the construction and the woods of the guitar. Likely over time it will mellow some when the top loosens some with age, but then you likely may miss its once brightness.

Just a thought.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy ending: My Texan came back fully repaired from the retailer; they completely replaced the electronics including the built-in preamp. And now that the strings have broken in, she's starting to show her true colors, as she no longer sounds bright or brittle, but mellow and punchy.

I also got attuned to the quite flat oval, C-shaped neck now, for I generally prefer V necks.

I'll string her up with D'Addario EXP16 Lights soon which will further pronounce a mellow voice.

On the topic of Medium strings on Texans, I would not opt to do that, for Texans as they are built these days with solid tops and backs are already very loud guitars with an insane amount of sustain to them; any louder than that -- and Mediums would make them much louder -- and it would drown my singing.

- and Mediums would make them much louder -- and it would drown my singing.

In my case there are many who would say that is a good thing.

So it was just the strings causing the brittle tone? After a couple of years of using Elixir Nanowebs exclusively I now have EXP's on all my guitars.

Glad to hear you got it sorted anyhow, there's nothing worse (relatively speaking) than owning a guitar that you don't enjoy playing.

I have used Elixirs for a few years but have been won over by the EXP16s recently. Think they will be my choice of string for a while. They don't sound or feel like coated strings

Yeah, Dodger ,I too switched to EXP16's and echo what you said-nice ring and balance.

In my case there are many who would say that is a good thing.

So it was just the strings causing the brittle tone? After a couple of years of using Elixir Nanowebs exclusively I now have EXP's on all my guitars.

Glad to hear you got it sorted anyhow, there's nothing worse (relatively speaking) than owning a guitar that you don't enjoy playing.

There were two major things that influenced my perception of the guitar's voice in a negative way. On the one hand I experimented with new strings multiple times, some of which were on the far bright end of the sprectrum, such as the Martin SP Lifespan PB Light, and I didn't allow enough time for the more mellow strings to sink and break in. On the other hand my luthier required up to three attempts to carve her a proper nut, and little is worse than buzzing stemming from the nut. All of that put a huge damper on the perception of the guitar and its voice for me.

I too, use "Medium" gauge (or heavier) for the bottom 3 strings, and light(er) ones, for the top three...

kind of a "Skinny Too/Heavy Bottom" mix. I get a nice full sound, but can more easily "bend" the upper

stings, as I tend to like to do. For whatever that's worth. :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

Archived