Gibson Brands Forums

How loud is a Fender Twin Reverb 65 Reissue

PelhamBlueFire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are they different, stein? I'm sure there's different tubes in them, and speakers probably. But does the Reissue get anywhere in the originals ballpark as far as sound-quality?

I can tell you that if you try an actual 65 deluxe, and then compare it to a reissue, the 65 will sound very different when you start to push them.

the "real deal" just sounds that much better than the reissue.

the local store in town has one of each, a reissue and the 65 which is the store owners amp, also has a price tag of $2,900 on it.

How are they different, stein? I'm sure there's different tubes in them, and speakers probably. But does the Reissue get anywhere in the originals ballpark as far as sound-quality?

Like all modern amps they are full of printed circuit boards now, instead of the original point to point style wiring. Some people will swear this makes no difference in the sound. I will swear it does. When I was looking for a Deluxe Reverb, I found the new "re-issues" rather cold and "splatty" sounding. I opted for an old silverface instead. Of course the original blackface ones are reported to sound the best, but the prices are too steep for me. Another option would be a point to point wire replica. Many small builders are making these type of replicas If you are handy with soldering kits are available as well. BadBluesPlayer can wire you up a nice one from Tennessee. [thumbup]

I can tell you that if you try an actual 65 deluxe, and then compare it to a reissue, the 65 will sound very different when you start to push them.

the "real deal" just sounds that much better than the reissue.

the local store in town has one of each, a reissue and the 65 which is the store owners amp, also has a price tag of $2,900 on it.

WoW, that is a lot of money for an amp. Would be really pissed if someone knocked that thing over on stage. I would red tape around, and let nobody touch it. What I'm just trying to say is, is the reissue better for a gigging musican, because it is not that valuable? Does the sound get close enough?

WoW, that is a lot of money for an amp. Would be really pissed if someone knocked that thing over on stage. I would red tape around, and let nobody touch it. What I'm just trying to say is, is the reissue better for a gigging musican, because it is not that valuable? Does the sound get close enough?

Yes, the sound gets that close.

What are your gigs? How big are the venues? How many people and how close are they? Are you above them on a stage, or typical bar on the floor same level?

An important consideration is also lugging it around. I'm guessing you are young and not flinching at the thought of totin a Twin around. But as part of the bigger picture of your gigs it could be a real drag hauling an amp around that you keep the volume knob below 2.

A Twin opened up with a decent pedal in front of it is a thing of beauty but there just aren't that many places to play like that any more, unless you have a small theater tour coming up and you aren't telling us.

rct

Yes, the sound gets that close.

What are your gigs? How big are the venues? How many people and how close are they? Are you above them on a stage, or typical bar on the floor same level?

An important consideration is also lugging it around. I'm guessing you are young and not flinching at the thought of totin a Twin around. But as part of the bigger picture of your gigs it could be a real drag hauling an amp around that you keep the volume knob below 2.

A Twin opened up with a decent pedal in front of it is a thing of beauty but there just aren't that many places to play like that any more, unless you have a small theater tour coming up and you aren't telling us.

rct

Well, I play lots of different kinds of venues. Bars, local concert hall, outdoor at festivals, and I perform at parties and weddings from time-to-time. So, the space where we perform varies greatly, and that goes for the amount of people, as well.

Do people have the same issue with the Marshall stacks, as well? I mean, them being cumbersome to use, and not being able to really crank them? And would I get into conflict with the owner of a bar quickly when using the Twin or a Marshall Plexi?

Which is why we often own several amps, of varying sizes.

In my case...

Blues Jr. for bars/small clubs.

Hot Rod Deluxe, with matching extension speaker, for larger clubs, halls.

Twin Reverb, and Vox AC-30 for outdoor venues,

Marshall TSL 100, 1/2 Stack for the Living Room (LOL)...I don't play

anywhere, large enough or often enough to haul that beast around.

(But, when I DO get to use it, it's Awesome!)

But, mostly (these days) it's the Blues Jr., or Hot Rod Deluxe "stack."

Cheers,

CB

the Deluxe reissues are fine sounding amps, but just be advised, Fender has had many QC problems lately with their amp line up.

if you browse the Fender Forum and go to the amp pages, you'll see enough examples.

Well, I play lots of different kinds of venues. Bars, local concert hall, outdoor at festivals, and I perform at parties and weddings from time-to-time. So, the space where we perform varies greatly, and that goes for the amount of people, as well.

Do people have the same issue with the Marshall stacks, as well? I mean, them being cumbersome to use, and not being able to really crank them? And would I get into conflict with the owner of a bar quickly when using the Twin or a Marshall Plexi?

I don't know where you are in the world, but nobody seriously takes out a Marshall stack as a bar band or wedding act, not around here in a long time. My last big rig was a 2x10 Prosonic on top of a 2x12 cab that was all just way too much for the average venue. The bar owner doesn't care what your amp is, it's the volume. You get in the same trouble no matter what amp you are using.

rct

I don't know where you are in the world, but nobody seriously takes out a Marshall stack as a bar band or wedding act, not around here in a long time. My last big rig was a 2x10 Prosonic on top of a 2x12 cab that was all just way too much for the average venue. The bar owner doesn't care what your amp is, it's the volume. You get in the same trouble no matter what amp you are using.

rct

Thanks for elaborating, mate. You never let me or any of the other forum members down.

I'm in Europe...The Netherlands, actually. But don't just gig in my own country. Most of my gigs, actually, are in Belgium. I live fairly close to the border. I don't own a Marshall stack, but I just wondered who's still using those stacks. I rely on a Marshall combo amp, mostly. But I am searching for a great clean amp, hence why I'm looking into getting a Twin Reverb.

Does a Twin Reverb really rattle the walls when it is past 5? I have been told that's how bad they are at that setting. Or is this the internet exagerating a bit?

Thanks for elaborating, mate. You never let me or any of the other forum members down.

I'm in Europe...The Netherlands, actually. But don't just gig in my own country. Most of my gigs, actually, are in Belgium. I live fairly close to the border. I don't own a Marshall stack, but I just wondered who's still using those stacks. I rely on a Marshall combo amp, mostly. But I am searching for a great clean amp, hence why I'm looking into getting a Twin Reverb.

Does a Twin Reverb really rattle the walls when it is past 5? I have been told that's how bad they are at that setting. Or is this the internet exagerating a bit?

The internet may be exaggerating it a tad, but yes, they are seriously loud amps.

I happen to be in the market again for a gigging amp, after a long absence. I'm going to stop at the store one of these days and pickup a run of the mill crummy solid state Fender Champion 100. Loud enough for everything, clean enough to make Leo blush, overdriven enough for the dumb stuff my band does. No tubes, no worries, no bee ess, replace it if it breaks. At 350 bucks out the door it is break even after two gigs!

Good luck with your search. We all need something different, you may just need a Twin, who knows??!!?

rct

Reasonably priced, does not always mean "Crummy." LOL Those Fender Champion 100's are

really decent/great sounding Solid State amps, and as you rightly point out, loud enough

for any venue, really. They seem a lot more traditional "Fender" sounding, than even

the Mustang digital amps, when they model their own Fender amps. But, I admit I've

not gone through ALL the Mustang versions, and models. Those are great amps, for

what they do, and their intended purpose. But, I like the sound of the Champs, as

much, if not more. I've been tempted myself, in getting the 2X12 100 watt version.

So...???

CB

The Mustangs seem nice, but I have some picayune problems like how difficult it seems to be to get through all the stuff, and most of all, top mounted controls, hate them.

The 2x12 Champeen Hunnert is perfect cleans which I need a lot of and reasonable overdriven which is the other thing I need, big and fat sounding, simple to deal with the modeling stuff, and front panel controls, so it'll do.

I said "crummy" just to beat the T00b Sn0bs to it!

rct

I wish I could remember the amp my mother bought me in the 70's. It was some sort of concert amp and she said she paid around $3,000.00 for it, but it was ridiculously loud. Very tall, around 4 1/2' feet tall with a mixer on top. It had 4 huge speakers in it and volume one was all I could use in my room without knocking pictures off the walls. I kept it till after I got married and later sold it but I couldn't believe she spent that much money on me for a present. But talk about loud, I hit a chord once and cranked her up to like 6 or 7 and right back down fast and like..Never again! We go to concerts and if bands play that loud and there have been some...it's time to leave! I don't enjoy hearing loss and loud music never impresses us. Kids seem to enjoy it but older folks don't.

The Mustangs seem nice, but I have some picayune problems like how difficult it seems to be to get through all the stuff, and most of all, top mounted controls, hate them.

The 2x12 Champeen Hunnert is perfect cleans which I need a lot of and reasonable overdriven which is the other thing I need, big and fat sounding, simple to deal with the modeling stuff, and front panel controls, so it'll do.

rct

It sounds like I'm going to be needing similar to you soon (my current batch of SS amps are crapping out) - I'm not aware of champion 100's - will look the up (are they like a frontman 212?, or old amps like the stage 100 112). Not too heavy I assume either.

rct

LOL, I understand! [thumbup] Solid State has come a LONG way! I have NO problem using it, at all.

As I said, the Champ 100 temps me, every time I see one. And, the price is GREAT! Go For It!

And, isn't the Champ 100 "Voiced" after a Twin Reverb, anyway? Seems like I read that

somewhere.

CB

It sounds like I'm going to be needing similar to you soon (my current batch of SS amps are crapping out) - I'm not aware of champion 100's - will look the up (are they like a frontman 212?, or old amps like the stage 100 112). Not too heavy I assume either.

Like the Stage, yes. Some kinda Modeling dealio too. I will put the Modeling switch to where I like it and then tape it there so I am not confused at set up time. Probably costs a few thousand pounds sterling avoir du pois in Auxtralia you know.

rct

I checked.. $500 US equivilent.

The guy in my previous band used 2 X Stage (100w I believe SS) amps from the 1980's with some sort of a Fender replicate pedal (twin reverb 65 or something) - always reliable and good sound, but they were each 1x12's.

So that's one in the mix. The Orange CR120 Head or combo is another. Interested to see how Pesh's OR15 works out and if powerful enough for gigs, shopping list is growing in options.

Do you have any native amps?

rct

Good question. Can't say I'm aware of any that are manufactured here. There used to be though many years ago. Goldentone remains well regarded among vintage amp folks and techs here. Here's a bunch of old amps a guys here has sold, including several interesting Aussie amps, Goldentone and other...

http://www.grouseguitars.com/soldamps.htm

Good question. Can't say I'm aware of any that are manufactured here. There used to be though many years ago. Goldentone remains well regarded among vintage amp folks and techs here. Here's a bunch of old amps a guys here has sold, including several interesting Aussie amps, Goldentone and other...

http://www.grouseguitars.com/soldamps.htm

Hey that was really cool Thank You!

I'm a kid from Deptford NJ, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Marshall. Not much else for me my whole life. I've never even heard of most of that stuff, that was really neat.

I bet one of 'ems a amp and a bahhbee. With a stingah. Poisonous stingah.

rct

rct

[thumbup]

Archived