Gibson Brands Forums

Correct string size for my 2015 ES335 figured 390 neck

blueaussie

Hoping to get better information than what Facebook gives you. I posed the question on Facebook and I was somewhat surprised and then again I was not. I will try to explain. My Guitar came to setup with 9's from the distributor. I have found these to be somewhat floppy to me so I was not surprised by the overwhelming responce from those on Facebook telling me to use 10's. Out of 15 that said to use 10's there was one that said to use 9's.

I'm in the middle of restringing and I would like to try 10's but I am unsure if I will be able to get the correct string height if the nut is cut only for 9's. No body said that this may be a problem.

I'm hoping that many of you who have many years experience with these guitars could shed some light on this for me. I want to do my own setups but don't want to be sorry for not presenting my concerns here.

Thanks to all in advance.

Sincerely,

Really confused.

The difference in size between the two gauges is fairly small so the chances are the new strings will sit all the way down in the slots ok. What you may well find is that, because the slots are now a little tighter fit with the thicker strings, you encounter problems keeping the guitar in tune that you didn't have before due to the strings binding in the nut slots. If this is the case it's an easy job for a tech to marginally widen the slots so that the fit is better. Lubrication applied to the slots, such as graphite or nut sauce, can also help with slightly tight nut slots if you don't want to take it to a tech immediately.

Having owned a 339 and now 359 I would advice to stay with 10

I have tried several other gauges but either it did not fit well in the slot or

the original sound of these guitars was forever lost. I Guess that it would be the same with the 335 and my 339 was the hollow equvalent of the 390

SO .10 for ever [thumbup]

All very personal to each player.... [thumbup]

The 'general' consensus might be that archtops and semis produce better tone with gauges 10 or over

I think Eric Clapton used to use 9's on his 60's 335...

My first 335 started with 10's and then moved to 9's IMO quite satisfactorily

My last 335 stayed with 10's all the time

It might be possible to trial each gauge without upsetting neck relief and string action too much...

V

:-({|=

And, if, for some reason, the high strings are a bit to "stiff" for bending,

as much, or as easily, as you like, but you love the tone, of the other 4

heavier strings, you can get a hybrid set, 9-46, instead of the 10-46.

But, if you have young, strong hands/fingers, the 10's will be just fine! [biggrin]

CB

...what Charlie Brown said!

Going to 10 gauge from 9 could require a little touch up. I just fold a 1000 grit sandpaper and widen/polish the G string or any other plain string that "ping" at the nut when bending. Of course use lube on the nut slots... I make my own with vaseline and graphite (use pencil lead rubbed on sandpaper). Going back to 9 has no problem either.

And, if, for some reason, the high strings are a bit to "stiff" for bending,

as much, or as easily, as you like, but you love the tone, of the other 4

heavier strings, you can get a hybrid set, 9-46, instead of the 10-46.

But, if you have young, strong hands/fingers, the 10's will be just fine! [biggrin]

CB

I would go for 9-46 first , do you bend you strings while playing ?

4H

Archived