Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 2016 Les Paul Honeyburst and P-90s

GibsonKramer

I don't know how to tell this NGD without writing a freaking novel?

It started with Guitar Center's Stupid Deal of the Day. A 2015 (???) Gibson Les Paul Special T Burstbucker Pro. I wanted it, because I have 1 Burstbucker in 1 guitar. My Studio Pro, in the neck position. Plus, it was a pretty cool little LP for $599!! It took almost a week to come, and when I opened up the completely unblemished box, never opened since it left Gibson... I found this! And this is after the guy with the gorilla grip squeezed it together. We were sliding a razor blade between the fretboard and neck on both sides, for the "wow" factor, before then.

neck_break_zpsxmqqrils.jpg

I was pretty upset at this point, as I already had some issues with the description on the website and the product that arrived. I was going to use those, to hopefully get a decent discount on a case, to avoid the gig bag. I called up Customer Service and they told me, to see if the store could do anything for me. Before I could go further, I was on hold and they were on the phone with the Operations Manager (a personal friend). He then relays the message to the Store Manager, "hook this guy up... he's a very good customer and he just got screwed."

So they tell me to check everything out, if there's something I like... let them know and we'll work something out. I ask the kid that works guitars, what he likes. We both have the exact same taste in guitars. He walks to the '50 Tribute, and a '60s Tribute, and said those are his two favorite guitars in the shop currently.

I wasn't impressed with '50s and handed it back. Then I plugged in the '60s. I had brought my little THR (what I keep it for primarily nowadays), and was immediately blown away. Wow! This is how single coils are supposed to sound. Gibson got it right, Fender! A little noisy, but man can these things pump out some juicy goodness. I told the kid, the first word that came to mind, was "creamy." It sounds especially good through my Egnater and Mesa cab (better than any other guitar I have).

Back to the "deal." I decide, let's do this. I can afford the extra. Sales kid goes back, tells the manager I want this one. He comes back, with $50 off. But, it gets even more laughable. He then charges me $30 for the gig bag. So for a guitar I bought at a 40% off, that came trashed and unplayable... they're comping me, with a whopping $20 off their retail?

That's OK, though. Because I know how to play GC's game. I take the guitar home, decide how much I like it and how I'm going to come at them with this. I decide to take the "its probably coming back" approach.

Later that evening I fire off an email to the Operations Manager (the personal friend), and I remind him, over the last 20 months I've spent well into five figures in their store. While I know there's people that spend more, I also know... its not many. I am one of their best customers. I list off, everything I bought and paid for it. It was an impressive list, considering its only about 2/3 of what I have.

Before I even woke up the next morning, there was a message on my voicemail. He had given me the guitar at sale price (15% off) and already credited my account. I called him up, and he finally asked the question, "what would it take to make you happy, John?" And I told him... "You know, I really just want a case for it." And he replies, "Done!"

He spends the next 5 minutes trying to track down a case for me. They don't have any in stock, according to one stock tracking program, so he says... "Let me search other stores... wait a second! It says I have TWO!" He tells me, he's going to call me right back, and within 3 minutes he calls back and says, "I found you a case! The same case that comes with the Custom Shop (and the older Trads/Standards)! The black one!" I tell him I'll be there in half an hour. Once I got there, we sit and chat in his office for a while, as he does his magic with the exchange, credits, sale, etc. As he's all done, he turns to me and says I have $30 credit!

He's already given me the guitar at sale price, its a $200 case no matter what (they don't deal on cases, I've tried - unless you get lucky). Case turns out, someone bought a $1600 LP and wanted to know why it was so expensive? Long story shorter... his loss... my gain. I get the case for a steep discount.

An $899 guitar that comes with a gig bag, I scored for just over $900, after tax with one of the nice Costa Rica black cases.

Enough jabber, onto the pics.

2016 Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute T - Honeyburst (satin finish)

20160321_133433_RichtoneHDR_zpsjzlqytjz.jpg

42bbd789-3ada-4282-b7c3-715aa9bc67f1_zpsigresmku.jpg

27e178d2-968a-4ea0-94ee-7c7a876a96f5_zpsxm98sqqf.jpg

55f6295a-305c-49aa-966e-e2cf4695ee9a_zpscrkgn31y.jpg

e09e3bd0-a5f0-496f-97d5-d6d7147abc4b_zpsnetziami.jpg

Natural Light pics, after I picked up the case (a true "Gold Top")

P-90_02_zpslfbr1mg1.jpg

P-90_01_zpsqb4cvwm4.jpg

P-90_03_zpsaykxyjrg.jpg

And the Paul Family!

all_pauls_zpsmo1divlv.jpg

And specs for the guitar, for anyone interested.

Only ding I have, is they're just stating "multi" for pieces used on the body. C'mon Gibson... come clean on that. I'd never seen more than 3... but this makes me wonder. Though, so far I've only been able to find 1 seam on mine. With the satin, you can still see/feel the grain.

Satin Honeyburst with Dark Back

Surface Texture: Satin

Filler: Natural

Sealer: 1-1.5 mils

Top: Satin Honeyburst

Top Coat: Satin

Scraped: Fingerboard Sides and Nut

Wood Species: Maple

Pieces: 2

Grade: A

Binding: None

Back

Wood Species: Mahogany

Pieces: Multi

Density: Medium

Weight

Weight Relief: Modern

Average Weight (body only): 5.09lbs

Materials Used

Glue: Franklin Titebond 50

Body Contour

Carve: Classic

Neck

Wood Species: Mahogany

Pieces: 1

Details

Truss Rod: Les Paul

Profile: Slim taper

Thickness at Fret 1: 0.800"

Thickness at Fret 12: 0.875"

Average Weight: 1.2 lbs

Peg Head

Type: SP1-B

Inlay: Blank

Peg Head Binding: None

Logo: None

Silkscreen: Gold "Gibson, "Les Paul Model"

Headstock Angle: 17 degrees

Neck Fit

Joint Angle: 5.0 degrees

Joint Angle Tolerance: 0 deg 0 min 15 sec

Type: Mortise and Tenon

Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50

Gauges Used: Pitch Height Gauge, Alignment Gauge

Nut

Material: TekToid

Width: 1.695"

Slots:

E: 0.046"

A: 0.036"

D: 0.028"

G: 0.016"

B: 0.011"

e: 0.009"

Fingerboard

Wood Species: Rosewood

Pieces: 1

Shade: Dark

Fingerboard Details

Radius: 30.48 cm / 12 "

Frets: 22

Nut/End of Board: 4.3053cm / 1.695" @ nut, 5.7404cm / 2.260" @ end of board

Scale: 62.865cm / 24.75"

Side Dots (Color): Black

Fingerboard Inlays

Style: Trapezoid

Material: Acrylic

Pickups

Lead

Style: P-90

Winds/Coil: Screw side/Slug side: 10000

Material of Wire (gauge): Copper (42)

Coil Dimensions (per coil): 6.6294 cm x 1.7272 mm / 2.61" x 0.68"

Coil Material: ABS

Coil Winding Process: Machine Wound

Pole Piece Material: Nickel plated steel

Pole Piece Position from Nut: 59.52998 cm / 23.437 inches

Slug Material: Nickel plated steel

Slug Dimensions (diameter x length): 4.7498 mm x 1.24206 cm / 0.187 x 0.489"

Magnet Material: Alnico V

Magnet Position from Nut: 58.7375cm / 23.125"

Cover: Cream

Qfactor: 5.27

ResistanceDC: 7923 Ohms

Resonant Frequency: 2238 Hz

Rhythm

Style: P-90

Winds/Coil: Screw side/Slug side: 10000

Material of Wire (gauge): Copper (42)

Coil Dimensions (per coil): 6.6294 cm x 1.7272 mm / 2.61" x 0.68"

Coil Material: ABS

Coil Winding Process: Machine Wound

Pole Piece Material: Nickel plated steel

Pole Piece Position from Nut: 47.3075 cm / 18.625"

Slug Material: Nickel plated steel

Slug Dimensions (diameter x length): 4.7498 mm x 1.24206 cm / 0.187 x 0.489"

Magnet Material: Alnico V

Magnet Position from Nut: 48.26 cm / 19"

Cover: Cream

Qfactor: 5.47

ResistanceDC: 8030 Ohms

Resonant Frequency: 2247 Hz

Control Pocket Assembly

Lead Volume

Type: 500K Non-Linear

Peak Voltage: 500V

Range: 0-500K

Power Rating: 1/4 watt above 100K ohms

Resistance Tolerance: +/- 20%

Minimum Resistance: 200 ohms

Lead Tone

Peak Voltage: 500V 500V

Range: 0-500K 0-500K

Capacitors: .022uF

Rhythm Volume

Rhythm Tone

Capacitors: .022uF

Tuning Keys

Style: Grover Green Key

Material: Zamak

Weight: 1.0 oz

Tuning Keys Details

Tuning Ratio: 14:01

Gear Type: Worm

What is allowable turn: +/- 4 degrees

Plating specs: Chrome

String Dimensions

E: 1.1684mm / 0.046"

A: 0.9144 mm / 0.036"

D: 0.6604 mm / 0.026"

G: 0.4064mm / 0.016"

B: 0.2794mm / 0.011"

e: 0.2286mm / 0.009"

Bridge

Style: Tune-o-matic

Plating Specs: Chrome

Dimensions of String Slots

E: 1.4732mm / 0.058"

A: 1.2192mm / 0.048"

D: 0.9652mm / 0.038"

G: 0.7112mm / 0.028"

B: 0.4826mm / 0.019''

e: 0.3556mm / 0.014"

Tailpiece

Style: Stop Bar

Compensated: No

Plating Specs: Chrome

Output Jack

Style: 1/4" mono with dual tip contact

I hate to be skeptical, but the case deal you got was a scam...they did the same thing for me. I had an issue with a Fender guitar they sent me and they offered me a Fender Custom Shop Case that was supposedly a $200 value. I declined to take the offer and returned the guitar. I didn't want the case, I wanted what they promised me to begin with...a new, in the box, Fender from the distribution center. Instead, I got a used, off the shelf scratched and dented guitar in a used gig bag with someone else receipt and no paperwork.

Take it for what its worth, but I see a case as little to no value as compared to the customer service you should have received to begin with.

I hate to be skeptical, but the case deal you got was a scam...they did the same thing for me. I had an issue with a Fender guitar they sent me and they offered me a Fender Custom Shop Case that was supposedly a $200 value. I declined to take the offer and returned the guitar. I didn't want the case, I wanted what they promised me to begin with...a new, in the box, Fender from the distribution center. Instead, I got a used, off the shelf scratched and dented guitar in a used gig bag with someone else receipt and no paperwork.

Take it for what its worth, but I see a case as little to no value as compared to the customer service you should have received to begin with.

Did you read the whole thing? My situation wasn't remotely like yours.

This guitar is $899, and only comes with a gig bag. If you want a case with it. You will pay $200 for a brown Gibson case, regardless what price you get the guitar for. But, plus tax, you're paying close to $1000 for a Gibson LP in a gig bag.

I originally paid $643 (with the tax) for a "GC/MF exclusive" LP Special T, that had a broken neck. A guitar Gibson doesn't want to even associate with, won't support and tells you to contact GC/MF with any issues.

To compensate me for ordering a guitar that came broken, I got a brand new 2016 for 15% off ($764) - and good luck finding someone to give you the same discount on the 2016. So, had I taken just that deal right there, I'd have got a $900 (and much better) guitar for about $120 more than the broken POS that was sent. The Special T was supposedly a $999 guitar, they had to blow out for 40% off to move them. No one was buying them, until the sale. It wasn't worth any more than the $599 they were selling it for, even in working condition.

Now, my friend who works at GC, could have left it at that... he had already credited my account. We were good. I called him, and hinted at a little something more. He asked, "what would it take to make you happy?" I was already happy, but said I wanted a case, not a gig bag, for my Gibson.

You have a few options, when you want to buy a case from GC. You can pay $200+ for a brown Gibson USA case. You can buy an Epi case for $100. A crappy Musicians Gear for $80. Or buy one of the regular black Gibson Gear for $200. This is the case that comes with the older Gibson Trads/Standards, or the Custom shop guitars, today. With the guitars, it sells for $200.

So I got a 2016 Gibson at sale price, and the higher quality Gibson case, for the price of a Musicians Gear case. All of it coming in, for well under $1000. Good luck, getting any brand new Gibson with the meh brown case, for under $1299. With the Costa Rica Black w/ plush white... not going to happen. Unless, you run into something like that. They have an unwanted one, they can afford to let go.

The case deal was brought up by me, so no... not a scam.

2016 Gibson LP '60 Tribute - $764

Gibson USA black case w/ plush white interior - $88

Total + tax = $915

Nice.. I love my 60s Tribute.. I have an actual Goldtop :)

And P90s absolutely rock [thumbup]

Also shows once again.. Its not what you know but who you know.. Makes all the difference..

Beautiful score! You did very well. Welcome to the P-90 club! The only thing that I don't understand is that yours has 9s for strings. Lesters usually all come with 10s I was told by Gibson. I myself have three LPs I'm very happy with as well. I love the Honey burst finish on your new electric. Once again congrats! On my first Lester I got my 1998 Special SL in my avatar I run 9s. I set it up after I got it that way. Les Pauls are the goods. I have a 2012 Special with P-90s also.

LOL! I just realized you traded the Honeyburst for a black Standard. It looks pretty nice also. I guess you got all humbuckers now.

Beautiful score! You did very well. Welcome to the P-90 club! The only thing that I don't understand is that yours has 9s for strings. Lesters usually all come with 10s I was told by Gibson. I myself have three LPs I'm very happy with as well. I love the Honey burst finish on your new electric. Once again congrats! On my first Lester I got my 1998 Special SL in my avatar I run 9s. I set it up after I got it that way. Les Pauls are the goods. I have a 2012 Special with P-90s also.

LOL! I just realized you traded the Honeyburst for a black Standard. It looks pretty nice also. I guess you got all humbuckers now.

Its an awesome sounding guitar. Just, playing it next to a Custom and even the Studio Pro, the SG Standard.... the satin finish on a "multi" piece body, bugged me. Plus, I discovered there was zero relief on the neck. It was straight, and fine. But, no relief. It couldn't be adjusted any further that way. For a new guitar... naw. Plus, it was a score and it led to another score. I grabbed the Standard for under $1800 and other than the scuff mark on the neck, its VG condition. Not even fret wear, or pick rash. Some slight buckle rash.

Plus, the desire for my next LP, was for a Traditional, or an older Standard.

I do love those P-90s though. And Seymour Duncan makes a P-Rail humbucker sized pickup. Its a single coil and a P-90, that can be run split-coil, or in conjunction. $89 and I'm going to put them in my SGJ. If I like em' maybe my Studio.

As for the strings, Gibson is using 9s (hybrids) on a lot of guitars. If you check the Gibson site and pull up the 2016s, most everything has 9-46. At least the ones I've been looking at. From Studios to Standards.

My SG came with 9s. I bought the SGJ used with 10s. Studio had 10s, until my tech set it up and put 9s on it, but that's how I described I wanted the setup and how I like it. The Standard came with 9-42, and I don't remember what the Custom had... but I put Gibson Vintage 10s on it.

Archived